at flip pac and dust

kpredator

Adventurer
hello all
thinking of an at flippac for my rig.any problems with dust or water issues.
if so what solutions did you use
thanks
kevin

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
The main issue with dust is along the vertical seam between the tailgate and the back side panel. I attached some rubber matting to the tailgate that took care of that.

We have use bulb seal, 3 sections between the shell and the bed rail. Success rate on a good seal has been about 98%. For the other 2% we use a thick neoprene flat seal.

Apart from that there are no real issues that I have heard about.

billy bee

Adventurer
Most of the dust that got into my rig came throughout the tailgate. I have a '96 Chevy K1500 Z71; the tailgate is not exactly designed to be water- and dust-proof. I have a carpet kit installed, however, and that keeps the dust out entirely, in addition to the flap on the bottom edge of the FP hatch. You may be able to see what I mean in this picture. The carpet kit covers the gaps in the tailgate.

906732562_KwpBB-L.jpg

bb

homemade

Adventurer
Truck tailgate seals are easily available that seal the tailgate when closed. I don't remember which brand I got from Amazon but it was easy to install, completely seals the tailgate and probably cost about $20.

brian90744

American Trekker
tailgate seal

you can purchase a tailgate seal kit=about $25.00=check on line.

TruxSeal Tailgate Seal Kit — 1703206 Truxedo Universal
Fit

by Truxedo

Manufacturer #: 1703206 Item #: 1703206

TruxSeal Tailgate Seal Kit

Universal Product — this product may require customization for your vehicle.

Anticipated Ship Out Time: 1-2 business days
Product Fit: Universal
Series: Truxedo TruxSeal
Type: Tailgate
Vehicle Body Type: Not specified
Warranty: Lifetime Truxedo limited
warranty

WASURF63

Adventurer
Welcome to ExPo kpredator!
All the above posts are great advice.
I would add that once you have everything installed/set up the way you want, climb into the truck bed, close the hatch and tailgate
(during the daytime), and look for ANY spots where daylight is showing through.
These will also be the places dust, drafts, and water will get in.
When I had my ATFP I used a combo of bulb seal, a Bedrug, tailgate gaskets, and copious amounts of RTV silicone throughout.
If you get aggressive about sealing it up, you shouldn't have any further issues.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Welcome to ExPo kpredator!
All the above posts are great advice.
I would add that once you have everything installed/set up the way you want, climb into the truck bed, close the hatch and tailgate
(during the daytime), and look for ANY spots where daylight is showing through.
These will also be the places dust, drafts, and water will get in.
When I had my ATFP I used a combo of bulb seal, a Bedrug, tailgate gaskets, and copious amounts of RTV silicone throughout.
If you get aggressive about sealing it up, you shouldn't have any further issues.

X2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears