AT Horizon or Chaser

Woodchuck

I have been lurking here for some time now and really enjoy the site. As a future expedition nears I need some advice.

Help me decide. I have not camped out for 15 years but want to get back into it and start expedtion traveling. Next summer I plan to take my wife and 7 year old daughter on a expedition from Oklahoma and loop up through South Dakota then Wyoming, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico. Plan is to be gone for at least 4 weeks and possibly 6 if they can take it. I figure we will camp out 4 or 5 nights then find a hotel for a couple and so on. I also hunt quite a bit and want something to haul my gear 500 miles to deer camp about 9-10 times a year. I like that the Chaser weighs less and could hold larger items but like that the Horizon would be easier to setup camp. I know there are a lot of other advantages and disadvantages for each and would like to hear you thoughts.

I am going to attach a picture of my tow rig and here is a brief description of it.

This is from my Signature in JeepForum is is not up to date but includes most of the major mods I have made so far:
'08 Red Rock Unlimited Rubicon / AEV 2.75" Lift with Remote Reservoir Shocks / AEV Heat Reduction Hood / AEV Front Bumper / Warn 9.5ti Winch / AEV Skidplates & Rear Corner Guards / Mopar Gas Cap Cover / Mopar Enhanced Rock Rails / 4.88 Gears / IPF 900xs Drive Beams / 17" AEV Pintler Wheels with 35x12.5r17 BFG Mud-Terrain KM2's

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!

Attachments

• Wallpaper - Small.JPG
    Wallpaper - Small.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I like that the Chaser weighs less and could hold larger items but like that the Horizon would be easier to setup camp.

I think this is a pretty good summation of the differences. The Chaser can hold longer items (18"), but I don't think the main box is any wider at the main part of the box (40"). It's also just slightly shorter.

I chose the Horizon for "easier to set up camp." I really like the kitchen setup.

I think both are excellent choices and you can't go wrong with either one.

Woodchuck

Funny...I posted this on JeepForum as well and the responses there are for the Chaser and here the Horizon. Guess it shows the difference in intended uses.

Woodchuck

By the way, if any one has any other suggestions let me know. I have done a fair amount of research and narrowed it down to these two but have not got my mind set on only Adventure Trailers. These just seem to be the best for what I intend to use them for but I am sure that other trailers are out there that I am not aware of.

Thanks Again!!!

abbeyroad

Observer
I have had my Horizon since early spring and have logged over 40+ nights. I really like the three compartment set up. For family camping and hunting I would think that would be a plus. Love the kitchen set up also. My tow rig is a 06 TJ with minor mods - HD shocks, Warn bumpers, Warn 9.5, etc. and it tows the Horizon everywhere.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Funny...I posted this on JeepForum as well and the responses there are for the Chaser and here the Horizon. Guess it shows the difference in intended uses.
I'll give you the same answer here... :sombrero:

Horizon. Glamping is easier with more boxes, more room, & easier access. Less complicated and more fun.

Woodchuck

Thanks Hilldweller...I just got off the phone with Martyn. He seems like a great guy and was happy to spend as much time as necessary talking with me about the trailers. I had posted a similiar thread months ago on JeepForum and everyone was for the Chaser. After seeing your setup and talking with Martyn, the Horizon seems to be the trailer of choice (between the AT's) for anyone with a family. I really like your conqueror but since I am a solid foot shorter than you (seriously) I don't need anything that tall. Not to mention my wife is barely 5'. She almost needs a ladder to get into the Jeep. Thanks for your response and sending the link to Martyn.

What is the longest you have camped out with the trailer?

tdesanto

Expedition Leader

That's an interesting observation that probably does point to intended use.

smokymt

Observer
I agree on the Horizon. I too debated over which model, and I selected the Horizon which I have had for about 1 year now. It was convenience that ended up being the winning factor for me. I have 2 small kids, and the Horizon allows me to keep more small things at an easy reach with the side boxes. My kitchen setup basically just requires opening the side box and sliding out the stove.

My opinion is that with a lot of travel, staying a different place each night, then the Horizon makes most sense with convenient setup. If you plan to stay several nights in one location, then the either works great.

That being said, either AT is just awesome. The quality and attention to detail in incomparable, and there customer service is the best.

Woodchuck

I agree on the Horizon. I too debated over which model, and I selected the Horizon which I have had for about 1 year now. It was convenience that ended up being the winning factor for me. I have 2 small kids, and the Horizon allows me to keep more small things at an easy reach with the side boxes. My kitchen setup basically just requires opening the side box and sliding out the stove.

My opinion is that with a lot of travel, staying a different place each night, then the Horizon makes most sense with convenient setup. If you plan to stay several nights in one location, then the either works great.

That being said, either AT is just awesome. The quality and attention to detail in incomparable, and there customer service is the best.

Thanks. I don't plan to stay only one night every where but I doubt we will send more than three nights any one place. I am just now starting to plan the route and my be a little optimistic as to what we can accomplish in just 4 weeks or so.

I will probably start a new thread in a bit to get some help planning.

wagner_joe

Adventurer
We've had our Horizon for 3 years now and the three (one 12 year old boy) of us are more than happy with it. The kitchen sidebox was a requirement to keep my wife happy. It's great with the builtin cutting board, roll-out stove and cook. The kitchen side removed one food box from our previous truck camping trips. We now just have one small rubbermaid tote for the "dry" items (breads, cookies, tortillas, etc)

We recently upgraded to the Globe Trotter and don't regret doing it. We just moved the boy to a cot on the bottom of the enclosure till we complete our other purchase for the Tacoma. Welcome to Expo and either way you won't be disappointed! Safe travels.

Woodchuck

We've had our Horizon for 3 years now and the three (one 12 year old boy) of us are more than happy with it. The kitchen sidebox was a requirement to keep my wife happy. It's great with the builtin cutting board, roll-out stove and cook. The kitchen side removed one food box from our previous truck camping trips. We now just have one small rubbermaid tote for the "dry" items (breads, cookies, tortillas, etc)

We recently upgraded to the Globe Trotter and don't regret doing it. We just moved the boy to a cot on the bottom of the enclosure till we complete our other purchase for the Tacoma. Welcome to Expo and either way you won't be disappointed! Safe travels.

What did you upgrade from? Martyn recommended the 1800 but I was thinking either the 2200 or the globe Trotter but to be honest I don't know much about the tents yet.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
What is the longest you have camped out with the trailer?
So far, just a week.
The most I ever think we'll do is two at a time ---- this May in Moab, in fact.

I'd do a 2200 for the tent, btw. The Globetrotter is nice but the elevated sleep area is on the small side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior