AT Overland Dodge with FWC Flatbed Camper

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
At AT Overland, we have been successful in creating an awareness of the efficacy of midsize 4x4’s as viable expedition platforms over the last decade in the market space. In the past two years we have seen an increase in demand for capable full size vehicles and have built a few Fords and Dodges to meet our clients’ demanding requirements. As we see this market growing we have decided to build a full size marketing vehicle: a Dodge 2500 4x4 with 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel and automatic transmission. The goal is to demonstrate that a global ready yet attainable American made full size 4x4 vehicle can be competitive with the likes of their purpose built self-contained European counterparts for under $100K. We acquired a dealer serviced 2008 regular cab with a 103K miles on it for $21K. It was a one owner truck that had been used for horse trailer hauling and had no modifications other than a pre-existing flatbed on it. A great platform for our build.

The core details of the build are as follows:
• 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel regular cab (Pre-DEF essential to “Global ready” strategy).
• Banks IQ 2.0 Performance Interface.
• AT modified Semi Service Truck Bed flatbed conversion.
• 2015 Four Wheel Camper Hawk Flatbed version.
• ICON Vehicle Dynamics 4.5" Stage 3 suspension.
• AT Overland Equipment trail armor.
• AT Overland Equipment composite underbed storage boxes.
• AT Overland Equipment composite tunnel storage box.
• AT Overland adapted secondary tank Fuel Storage.
• AT Overland Electrical Management System.
• National Luna Dual Battery Management System.
• ARB Deluxe Front Bumper.
• ARB Rear Air Locker and Twin Compressor.
• Baja Designs XL Pro LED Lights
• AEV Katla Wheels 17”.
• General Tire Grabber AT2 35x12.50R17 tires.
• Comeup Seal Gen2 16.5rs winch front.
• MaxTrax recovery equipment.
• Yaesu 2M communications.
AT Dodge.jpgAT Hawk FWC Flatbed.jpg

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Looks like a fun project, especially because it's basically identical to mine. Can't wait to see how they compare. Is the "tunnel box" you mention on top of the deck or below between the frame rails? Is that where you'll be putting the spare? Didn't the dodges come with dual batteries as standard? What benefit will the NL kit give you over stock?

Don

-

elcoyote

Yes the Dodge comes with dual starting batteries. The NL system will be to manage an auxillary battery. The tunnel box will be on the flatbed deck between the cab and the camper and will house the spare tire and other equipment.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Very cool Mario! That Dodge & flatbed camper should make near perfect partners.

On the bits labeled:

Are those components things that you offer (or will offer in the future) as regular retail parts, or are they going to be one-off items?

OK, I do have to admit I would like to see something other than an ARB bumper. Not that there's anything wrong with them, they're just so . . . pedestrian. I think an "AT Overland aluminum bumper that doesn't make my truck look like it has an under-bite" would be pretty awesome. (I know, I know).

elcoyote

Very cool Mario! That Dodge & flatbed camper should make near perfect partners.

On the bits labeled:

Are those components things that you offer (or will offer in the future) as regular retail parts, or are they going to be one-off items?

OK, I do have to admit I would like to see something other than an ARB bumper. Not that there's anything wrong with them, they're just so . . . pedestrian. I think an "AT Overland aluminum bumper that doesn't make my truck look like it has an under-bite" would be pretty awesome. (I know, I know).

The "bits" you have mentioned will be "built to order" depending upon the application. What we have seen in our experience is a complex variation of component applications and client needs that are not conducive to an "off the shelf" model. As you watch this build unfold, it will become more apparent why.

Bumpers are a sticky scenario. Understood that the ARB bumper may be commonplace and perhaps aesthetically boring, it does comes with crash tested credentials. Safety outweighs vanity 100% of the time in our book. Because we travel big truck crushing animal territory (read: deer, elk & moose) we'll suffer the "under-bite". Besides, the ARB is proven to withstand the rigors of use with a 16.5 winch which we expect to get a work out given our propensity for extremely remote happy hour locations :)

elcoyote

First order of business is to document the starting weight of the project truck with a full 35 gallon fuel. This will be important information for when we have ICON spec shock valving and suspension for the rig. The flatbed on the truck is steel and is heavy. In order to stay within our planned budget, instead of replacing it with an aluminum bed, we're going to trim some unnecessary parts off. Because the truck originated from Park City, UT, the bed is showing some rust so it will come off and go for media blasting, zinc under coating and durable YGY black powder coating.
20160125_152236.jpg

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The "bits" you have mentioned will be "built to order" depending upon the application. What we have seen in our experience is a complex variation of component applications and client needs that are not conducive to an "off the shelf" model. As you watch this build unfold, it will become more apparent why.

I hear you - getting the right mix of products & features onto such an individualized final product is a tough road to walk. At least it is when you don't have countless slow moving SKUs & millions of $$$ worth of inventory sitting on the shelf. It's one of the reasons I backed away from vehicle-centric products a couple years ago.

The "build to order" scenario does brings up interesting thoughts related to shop capability though. That's probably a different conversation - maybe at that extremely remote happy hour location (I hear there's a happy hour there . . . so, you know :friday: ).

I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in store - under-bite & all.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Subscribed. The flatbed 4WC is by-far the best layout I've seen, so a setup like this is now at the top of my wish list.

elcoyote

Time to remove the bed and the headache rack. The headache rack will be replaced with simpler design that suits our needs better while taking a bit of weight out of the bed at the same time. We've also cut away part of the triangular rear skirt so that we can have larger rear under bed boxes. There is a lot of rust on the underside so it'll get a little extra love when it gets media blasted. One section of the bed was welded to the truck frame, a practice we do not like and it has been a bit of work to remove and clean up. When it goes back together it'll bolt on in the event that we want to remove it in the future for other modifications.
20160217_115705.jpg20160217_154246.jpg20160219_085328.jpg20160217_121130.jpg

Last edited:

elcoyote

After cleaning up the flatbed welds and removing the factory spare tire winch & assembly we have determined that the 42 gallon tank from a 1992 Suburban will fit nicely with a little adaptation. After mounting it properly and making a proper skid plate, we'll set it up as a simple transfer tank with pump, an in cab switch and gauge. Combined with the 35 gallon factory tank, that ought to give the truck a respectable 1300 mile range. Woot!

6339.jpeg6338.jpeg

Last edited:

craig333

Expedition Leader
Now this is going to an interesting one to follow. Where are you going to relocate the spare tire?

elcoyote

With the longer wheel base of the full size truck we feel that it is important to have some slider armor to compensate for the reduced break over angle. Also, with the 4.5" lift and 35" tires, it's going to need a step for climbing into the cab as well. We were inspired by an old friend of ours Steve Raynor who developed the original "Boulder Bars" to build sliders that attach to the frame with thread forming bolts and incorporate a clamp to the rocker panel pinch welds. We have seen vehicles survive the worst of conditions using this methodology and we thought it appropriate for this truck as well. Thank you Steve...we miss you.
6325.jpeg6626.jpeg6717.jpeg6328.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998