AT Tacoma Habitat: Official Thread

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Serious questions: How strong is the Habitat when open? Can it take quite a bit of rocking or bouncing? Has it been tested to failure? I guess what I'm getting at is, could you like...get lucky in a Habitat and not worry about it breaking while you're in it?

We have tested the open lid with two adults in the bed compartment and two adults hanging off the outer edge. We measured deflection at the hinge area and found very little. The production models have stronger reinforcement in all the stress areas. We don't anticipate any issues. If you are worried about the load capacity order your Habitat with additional optional legs that extend to the ground.

DJSponge

Is there a finalized pricing sheet for these somewhere? I'm seriously considering one, but the lack of literature and media is surprising...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
You may have missed it but you'll find info on pricing on our website here http://adventuretrailers.com/campers/toyota-habitat/
Some options we are still working out. Things like cabinetry and electrical upgrades are quoted based upon your requirements.
Is there a finalized pricing sheet for these somewhere? I'm seriously considering one, but the lack of literature and media is surprising...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
any pictures of the options to sleep 3/4 people?
First builds with this feature are in process. There will be pictures at the end of April on our website

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Those pics would be great, but I'm still wanting see the video of the opening and closing of the camper.

It's an Overlanding problem. The video is in a camera, that's in a vehicle, that's been on a remote trek.

We expect the vehicle back in Prescott today where we will edit the raw footage and get it posted up for you.

Sorry for the delay, but even cameras need a vacation :)

4xdog

Explorer
During a visit to Prescott on April 8 I had the chance to stop by AT Overland Equipment, and Martyn was generous enough to give me a tour. I saw a whole bunch of Tacoma Habitats in production or getting staged for production and we discussed a number of details about their design and construction. Lou happened to be stopping by with his 2nd Gen Tacoma access cab with the Habitat prototype and he gave us a good look at it.

Everyone likes pictures, right? Here's a look at the Habitat prototype from different angles and in more detail than some of the other images.

A few observations:
1. A number of features related to latches and catches will change for the production version, as will some of the details around the tent perimeter. The tailgate will have changes to use gas struts for opening.

2. The Habitat prototype was opened quickly for the photos, so it wasn't fully deployed (in case some of the edges look like they haven't been pulled into place)

3. I'm 6' 6" (198cm). I had inches above my head standing full height. The Habitat is definitely high-ceilinged!

4. The open-to-the-rear configuration has pros and cons. A light shower came by as we were talking, and it was very nice to be sitting on the tailgate or standing under the canopy to be out of the weather. The downside noted by Lou, a former Flippac owner, is that the overall parking/campsite footprint is almost twice as big and this takes extra care to manage.

5. The Habitat is a nice-looking product. The composite honeycomb/aluminum construction works well for a product like this.

6. As noted elsewhere in this thread, AT confirmed that Habitat versions for other platforms might be possible in the future, depending on sufficient demand to reconfigure the tooling. A plus point would be sizes that span several platforms (in other words, pickups with common bed sizes would make it easier to get critical mass for design and production).

i-V5h5JVk-X2.jpg

i-Px3qvTw-X2.jpg

i-BVSWTwG-X2.jpg

i-7j8NnhJ-X2.jpg

i-SNcZZQw-X2.jpg

i-KrV6Q5p-X2.jpg

i-hcwsGTM-X2.jpg

i-QzNMrzg-X2.jpg

i-rDdvwDv-X2.jpg

i-ddDTS3W-X2.jpg

i-636R59q-X2.jpg

i-qBRCKq4-X2.jpg

i-LB6RCXZ-X2.jpg

i-tm23DbT-X2.jpg

i-wNZWNzp-X2.jpg

Thanks to Martyn and Lou for the time spent talking about the Habitat. As a final image, here's the parking lot at AT -- pretty interesting in its own right.
i-9wzPtXN-X2.jpg

joel

Observer
Hrm. Those rack bars are lower clearance than I remember them looking. Maybe I should add those to my order after all...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12