AT Tacoma Habitat: Official Thread

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
I know you guys are slammed with orders and modifications, which is great, but personlly I would love to see an AT Habitat that popped straight up....similar to an Ursa Minor, or the Alu-Cab Roof Hard sided RTT. I love the basic setup on the inside, but we often have whitewater boats, skis, and other gear on the roof. It would be great to have a place to sit and cook, or stand up without having to unload all of your crap off the roof.

I know there are the Four Wheel Camper options, but I like the lighter more basic style of the Habitat.

Thanks for making great products and keep up the innovation.
We are not ruling that out as a possibility down the road but right now we have our hands full with Habitat orders and need to keep focused on that for the sake of our customers who are patiently waiting.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

robert

Expedition Leader
The hinges were chosen for their durability and ease of manufacturing assembly. A piano hinge does not have the same characteristics. The same hinges have been made for us and in use on our trailers since 2001 without a single failure. We understand that various clients will have personal aesthetic preferences but we always choose reliability of design first. That is our company ethos.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I figured there was a logical reason; as you said, it was just an aesthetic observation.

TscotR214

Greetings! Anyone have feedback on snow camping? Specifically, packing the habitat away in the morning while everything is either still frozen or actively still snowing? How do they handle snow loads? I currently have a DCSB with Snugtop and a DAC truck tent for tailgate down, window lift up, back of truck sleeping. I appreciate the bulletproof nature of hard walls around me, and am glad I didn't FlipPac earlier. Putting away a stiff frozen DAC pile of wet cold nylon in the AM has proven challenging. We're all season overlanders so freezing rain and snow are an issue.

TscotR214

Thought of another issue. I have 3 x 100W solar panels mounted above my shell. Anyone mount solar on the habitat yet? Thinking of that hinge point and trying to run my perimeter camera cables, water tank heaters, solar feed wires, comms antenna cables, etc etc. Lots of wires need to go to the roof and I suppose all hinge w the habitat. Thinking out loud for anyone who's faced these issues yet. Much thanks!

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I know you guys are slammed with orders and modifications, which is great, but personlly I would love to see an AT Habitat that popped straight up....similar to an Ursa Minor, or the Alu-Cab Roof Hard sided RTT. I love the basic setup on the inside, but we often have whitewater boats, skis, and other gear on the roof. It would be great to have a place to sit and cook, or stand up without having to unload all of your crap off the roof.

I know there are the Four Wheel Camper options, but I like the lighter more basic style of the Habitat.

Thanks for making great products and keep up the innovation.

This would be epic and a big change for the industry. Wonder what the weight difference would be vs. a FWC shell like mine.

Ranchero

Wanderer
I'm curious about the snow/cold weather performance as well. Has anyone *seriously* used one in cold weather? I don't mean 25 degrees with a Propex, but -10f? I'm currently in a Sportsmobile and camp 2-3 nights per week all year long. An Espar in the SMB makes for perfectly comfortable temps inside even down to -10 or -15 outside. I'm thinking the volume of the habitat wouldn't be that much different. I would love to move back to a Toyota. Thanks for your input.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I'm curious about the snow/cold weather performance as well. Has anyone *seriously* used one in cold weather? I don't mean 25 degrees with a Propex, but -10f? I'm currently in a Sportsmobile and camp 2-3 nights per week all year long. An Espar in the SMB makes for perfectly comfortable temps inside even down to -10 or -15 outside. I'm thinking the volume of the habitat wouldn't be that much different. I would love to move back to a Toyota. Thanks for your input.

We have tested the Habitat down to around 20'F without a heater. The main thing we learned was that the composite panel under the mattress and the 2" thick mattress do an amazing job keeping the cold out. So you can actually sleep on a mattress that isn't ice cold.

The Habitat also utilizes composite panels in the side walls. These panels have an R6 value. I don't think the Sportsmobile has any wall insulation behind the cabinets and panels.

A Propex heater put into the mix will improve matters as it puts out hot air in the region of 104'F which is much hotter than standard propane heaters. In early testing of the Propex heater in a Wildernest, similar volumes and canvas top, I raised the temperature inside the camper from 20'F to 60'F in thirty minutes.

We will have to wait for feedback from real world testing as we move forward.

beerhiker

Adventurer
Has there been in any feedback as to wind performance on these? Nemo is a excellent tent maker so I assume they can withstand quite a bit. Realistically are we looking at 40-45MPH gusts before you would want to fold it up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears