Attaching FWC Eagle to Truck - Torquelifts?

Stereo

Adventurer
I read a couple comments that the jack brackets on the outside of a FWC Eagle are not strong enough to use with tie downs. Is there a way to reinforce them or how they're mounted to make them capable? I have considerable investment in Torquelift and Happijac hardware for mounting my current Skamper externally. I'd like to be able to use this existing hardware when/if I get a used FWC or ATC. A bonus would be that I could then store some stuff in the truck bed through the trap doors that exist to reach the internal tie-downs. If there's no way to do an external securement permanently, would it at least be OK to use the external setup for a couple days of highway driving?

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
I have a 2014 Eagle on a 2015 Tacoma and use internal tie downs, not external. There are brackets that can be mounted to the bed for the turnbuckles to attach to. These brackets are only needed on trucks that have built in plastic bed liners.

Stereo

Adventurer
Thank you, cchoc. I am familiar with the typical tie down method on the interior of the bed. I'm curious if anyone has figured out a way to secure the camper from the corner brackets to Torquelift or HappiJac hardware. Besides wanting to use my existing hardware and thus avoid additional expense and installation time, I came to the realization that the in-bed method will also take away some of storage space along the sides of the camper. With our existing Skamper, we stash our chairs and wastewater container between the outside of the camper bed and the inside of the truck bed, i.e. in the space in back of the wheel well. I'm guessing the internal tie-downs block that space to some extent.

LuckyDan

Adventurer
I don't have standard corner jacks bolted to the corner brackets on my Grandby. I have Rieco "Tripod" jacks though they are on all 4 corners with the brackets mounted to the underside of the wall. I tie down externally to my jack mounts and all is well. Frankly if your jack mounts are strong enough to lift and hold an FWC up I don't understand why they would not be strong enough to hold your camper tied down. This should be especially true if you are using the Torklift or Happijac tiedowns/turnbuckles as they are spring loaded thus having stress relief in torsional situations. A search either here or over at Wander the West should turn up an example or two of externally tied down FWC's using Torklift or Happijac gear .

Good luck with your decision.:coffee:

Last edited:

35xj

Adventurer
I picked up a stick of "x3" 3/16 aluminum angle. Cut 4 pieces at about 16 inches and 4 at 9 inches.

I put the longer pieces on the inside at the bed rail level. 2 inch section up and screwed into the frame. 3 inch section bolted through the plywood. On the underside I drilled a 1 inch hole in the center of the 2 inch sectio and through bolted from the bolts passing through from the inside. Works really well so far.

Downside, my 03 grandby is very similar in width to my dodge, leaving not that much room for my happy jack tie downs to clear the truck bedsides

MNtraveler

Observer
XJ35: Any chance you can post a picture of your set up? I am trying to come up with a plan to mount my 1977 Grandby to my 2011 Ram.

Thanks

MNtraveler

Observer
35XJ: Did you see my PM? Please see the PM and send me a picture (or 3) of your tie-down system. Better yet, since there is some interest, if you can, please post your pictures.

Thanks,

MNtraveler

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78