Aussie H6 lifted Outback

ggvfr

pskhaat said:
I wana know more about the body lift. Was it really straight forward or did you have to start extending brake and electrical lines and hoses, etc?

It's a Scorpion 2" lift, sourced here in Australia (around $800Aus from memory), fitted by a Subaru Dealer to avoid warranty issues - 2.5 days work, $600 cost.

Springs are King Springs HD - with some lift built in... although the actually geometry of the rear end prevents any real lift from bigger springs, maybe 1/2 - 3/4"

No brake lines required lengthening, no electrical mods were needed, the main radiator hose was cut in the middle and a 2" metal sleeve was fitted, and Scorpion provide a splined extension shaft that extends the steering to meet the rack again.

It appears that going much higher (I'd like to try 3") is impractical due to difficulties in camber and caster adjustment range. Besides which, it's illegal here to go more than 2" - believe it or not, without serious engineering approval. ...and then there's the insurance issue!

I'm happy (at the moment) having almost 13" under the sills, and around 9.5" at the diff.

I know it won't replace my old 3F 60 series Sahara that's rusting away slowly in the back yard but I want it more as a Desert Blaster than a Mountain Goat - and it's my partners daily driver...

Hope that's the info you wanted. Have got plenty of photos.

Cheers
Garry

Incusus

Adventurer
BajaTaco said:
Yeeaa! Garry, I'm glad you posted up. :coffeedrink:
*snip*
If those awnings were available here, I imagine they would sell like hotcakes.

Seconded, on both counts! Its great to see the Subies coming out of the woodwork!!

ggvfr

Ok, it's been a while...

Here we go, some more photos of Suby in action. Sent my partner (Emily) and Suby on a 4wd training course...:wings: She was the runt of the litter... the other vehicles were 80 series Landcruiser, Hilux, 2 x Nissan Patrols and a Discovery. Suby went everywhere they did - including a drive ALONG a river, hood deep in spots(!!) and up some pretty rutted tracks.

Enjoy the photos

Up we go...

4x4learnerday042ahc1.jpg

...and down we go...

4x4learnerday045atc9.jpg

Hmmm, getting a bit deep (check the very front 4x...)

4x4learnerday066jk9.jpg

4x4learnerday059rv9.jpg

Chassis twister track, getting air...

4x4learnerday039ash7.jpg

4x4learnerday036anc1.jpg

Rutted Hill climb

4x4learnerday006ajf5.jpg

4x4learnerday019aan8.jpg

...yep Suby did pretty good and my partner now knows what she, and the car, can do should we be out camping somewhere and I have a nasty accident that prevents me from driving...

Cheers
Garry

ggvfr

...and a couple more...

We also did this descent but no-one got photos...

4x4learnerday100so8.jpg

...some mud play...

4x4learnerday070vd1.jpg

A new slant on things (sorry, bad pun)

4x4learnerday054ahj4.jpg

4x4learnerday034axe5.jpg

...almost made it up...

4x4learnerday016awl7.jpg

4x4learnerday013ajk2.jpg

Cheers
Garry

mtbrider

It looks like I'm bringing this back from the dead, but this is a great subie. As the new owner of an 02 Outback Sedan, I really like what you did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger