Aussie locker

Booner

Observer
I drive a 98 Jeep ZJ 4.0 with a 3" BDS suspension kit and 31-10.50R-15 Hankook MT tires. My Jeep does fine for the light offroading that I use it for, but I'd like a little more in the traction department. I was considering the aussie locker for my dana 35, but I'm leery of using it on our snowy and icy roads. Am I worried about a non-issue? Would a limited slip such as a True-Trac be a better choice? I'd appreciate any advice...:smiley_drive:

Last edited:

SixLug

Explorer
Ive heard it will be different driving on ice and through mud, as the wheels wont unlock. I had a lock right and drove on some ice in my old 4runner, and it wasnt too bad, but I wouldnt want to do it everyday if you get a lot of ice. Just increases the chance of something happening Id say. I drove through a lot of mud, and if anything, it just helps unless you are side hilling or something off camber. If you do go that route though, I would not go larger than 31"s with that D35. I have no say on limited slips though. I have heard that you can get close to locking them up by applying some parking brake though. Just my 2 cnts.

XJLI

Adventurer
I'd be more leery of locking the D35, since itll grenade on you. I've DD'd my XJ with a locked rear for 2 years now, wet/snow/ice is a non-issue, it drives the same as a tight LSD would in those conditions.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I put an Aussie in the front of my XJ, and you cant even tell its there when on the road. I wouldnt reccomend it for the rear, especially if you know you are going to be on icy roads. Its doable, but it can get hairy quickly.

Throw one in the front, and forget about it.

Booner

Observer
I'd be more leery of locking the D35, since itll grenade on you. I've DD'd my XJ with a locked rear for 2 years now, wet/snow/ice is a non-issue, it drives the same as a tight LSD would in those conditions.

I keep hearing about exploding D35s but see them running everywhere at every event we go to. Mine has 156K on it with no problems. I do have a set of spare c-clip shafts but haven't had to use them. No sense poking the skunk so to speak, so I'll refrain from locking the rear. Maybe I install a Tru-Trac LSD in the rear and an Aussie in front. Thanks for the input everyone.

booger

Observer
i run an Aussie in the front of my TJ, and will be putting one in the front of my XJ shortly.

i would definitely NOT lock a D35. put that money toward a D44 or Ford 8.8 replacement :)

John90XJ

Adventurer
31's and a lunchbox locker are fine as long as you recognize that you can't floor it every time you want to overcome an obstacle.

I ran that set up and ended up going to a locker front and rear in my XJ with the stock D30/D35 and tires up to 33". I never once broke a shaft. The rig weighed about 4700 pounds.

Because you have sufficient control over when it locks and when it doesn't, the fact that you can let off the throttle and let the side gear ratchet around a corner, gives you an edge toward keeping everything in one piece.

These lockers work great in almost all conditions and ice is the only place where they do not excel unless you keep your foot out of it. It will tend to want to go straight when you're on the gas. Using some common sense and it will work fine.

Carry a pair of spare shafts and you'll likely not need them.

muddyluxury

Observer
i would not lock a stock d35 in anyway. either get you a d44a out of a v8 grand or do an 8.8 swap.

catch on the d44a is find a lunch box locker for it, aussie is the only one that produces one, and they dont make them anymore.

at this point upgrading the d35 might be your best option, I got lucky and got my ausssie before they went out of production your only option would be a used one.

Ranger Steve

Adventurer
i would not lock a stock d35 in anyway. either get you a d44a out of a v8 grand or do an 8.8 swap.

catch on the d44a is find a lunch box locker for it, aussie is the only one that produces one, and they dont make them anymore.

at this point upgrading the d35 might be your best option, I got lucky and got my ausssie before they went out of production your only option would be a used one.

actually they do make them again and been for a while now :smiley_drive:

Renegade

Observer
Just to clear some things up here, I cant stand it when people start bashing the D35. Most of the people that say, "ITS GOING TO BREAK, DONT PUT A LOCKER IN IT" have never even had a D35.

YES, you are right, D35's are a weak axle when compared to a D44, D60 ect. However with only 31" tires, and more than likely an automatic (sence this is a ZJ) he should be fine.

Carry some spare shafts with you just incase. But just remeber not to romp real hard on it. I ran Lock-Rights and Aussies in 2 D35's for about 4years, my set up was on a '93 YJ with 4.56 gears, 33" MT/Rs on steel bead locks (HEAVY) and I only broke one axle shaft, and guess what I was doing?.... Foot to the floor, rear axle hopping, going up hill pulling an other broken down Jeep. Luckly I was carring a spare shaft, I swaped it out and was on my way.

As for street driving, the act like any other full time locker. You will hear the teeth "ratchet" going around some turns, sometimes you will have the inside tire chirp a little.

Again, with an automatic it is MUCH MUCH easier on the drivetrain. You will notice the locker much less than on a manual trans

In the end I highly recomend luch box lockers for a D35. You can easily install it yourself at home, and unlike a full case locker, you dont have to dump a whole bunch of money into your D35 to have a shop reset up your gears. A few years down the road, or perhaps once you DO break your D35, you can start looking for a XJ D44 or an 8.8.

BTW Super 35 kits are pretty stout. I installed one into my buddies TJ who has had zero issues with it. He runs 35" MT/R's on steel wheels, he runs the Hammer trails every weeked during the desert season. Never broken it.

Last edited:

19psi

The Devil Made Me
the rear of my XJ is welded and I odn't mind it at all on ice and snow. yes teh rear will step out if you're not careful, but you're driving on ice and snow, you should be careful anyway. i figure any kind of real locker would only be easier than welded, so i say go for it.

jerbacher

Observer
the rear of my XJ is welded and I odn't mind it at all on ice and snow. yes teh rear will step out if you're not careful, but you're driving on ice and snow, you should be careful anyway. i figure any kind of real locker would only be easier than welded, so i say go for it.

Just the mention of you welding the diff reminded me of this
http://jalopnik.com/5159377/auto-forum-troll-of-the-week-rock+bashing-edition

Not to say you did that of course!!! I just was reminded of it and got a chuckle that I thought I'd share.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
reviving an old thread since I'm looking at buying an Aussie for my 8.8.

Why does everyone seem to insist on putting a locker in the front when most likely you're going uphill and all the weight is on the rear? Am I missing something here?

Just wondering if it would be most cost effective to install the Aussie while I redo my 4.56 gears or wait until I really need it? Seems it might be better to get it out of the way now since I'll have the diff apart. Thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78