Aussie locker

Momrocks

Adventurer
Why does everyone seem to insist on putting a locker in the front when most likely you're going uphill and all the weight is on the rear? Am I missing something here?

The original post spoke to concerns with driving the rear locker on ice. The thread then spun into a, is a D35 lock a benefit or a timebomb discussion. The front lock option was floated as an alternative to address both fears.

IMHO, you should Aussie up when you do the R&P. The diff is already open so it will save you a gasket and a pumpkin full of gear lube.

bigbeast

What about a powertrax No-slip vs powertrax lockright. Is it worth the extra money to get the no slip? I installed a lockright in my brothers FJ-40 and when you do a u-turn on the street, under power (which you have to do for a u-turn) and it bucks pretty hard. I would want to avoid the bucking on my TJ as it is not an off-road only vehicle.

I figure I can lock up my axles and they might last longer, because I will not be gunning it to get up a hill, or out of the rocks.

What do you think? It is a bone stock 2005 TJ (X model).

Thanks

cocco78

Adventurer
Hands down, get an Aussie locker, they are the best "lunchbox" style locker you can get. They are pretty quiet, and almost none of the quirks of the other ones. I had a lockright that would always pop and bang, it was just horrible. And no locker will unlock under power, if power is going to it in a turn it will stay locked. They only unlock around corners or u-turns when you are coasting. Otherwise whats the point of a locker if it unlocks when you are trying to go?

If your worried about running a locker on snow and ice, don't put one up front!! That is unless you never plan on using 4wd on slippery roads. with a locker up front and the jeep in 4wd on slippery snow covered roads you won't be able to turn. Even in 2wd with a non disco axle you need some sort of traction to get the locker to unlock. Plus the D30 is even weaker than the D35...

I ran a TJ on 33's for a while with D30/35 with an aussie in the rear, and never had any issues. But everyone said it would blow up so I upgraded to a 8.8 again with an aussie. And as for the snow issue, I live in Michigan, we get snow. If you know how to drive a rear wheel drive vehicle a locked rear is no big deal at all. If you give it gas around a corner you'll kick the back end out, if you dont give it gas it won't kick out on you...

Now I run a HP 3/4 D44 front with an aussie, and D70 rear welded on 37" tires... zero issues with the aussie locker...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78