Aussie unimog

nugget

Observer
I am new to large expedition vehicles but am contemplating the next stage after my Hummer H3 2 person tourer and as such have been watching the forum and also been on the lookout for interesting ideas. I saw this unimog on the beach at Double Island Point, which is just north of Noosa, Queensland on the weekend. The lift up sides are perfect for our hot and humid weather with the lifted side creating an awning. The guy built it himself after restoring an older unimog and stretching the chassis.

unimogdi1post.jpg

unimogdi2post.jpg

Last edited:

nugget

Observer
I thought it was really interesting way of doing it. The guy who owns it is not a hard core expedition guy...for him it is more a mobile home.

He was saying that it is not very good in sand due to the weight and long wheel base...he can never get up enough momentum between gear changes so he would not take it to the desert etc. I am not sure of his level of offroad expertise but I suspect he might have been inexperienced as the tyres didn't look as if they had been let down.

He had done an excellent job of the fitout and had it all Road Transport approved as well.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I really ike that set up on the camper. That is awesome and well executed. I like it much more than a conventual style. I would say he could build something like that and market it, not just for Mogs. But by the looks of his truck I doubt he needs work or money!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
BTW, I saw many big huge heavy trucks on Fraser Island plowing through deep sand. Those big MAN and others that the tour companies run. They did just fine, hauled ******** and I didn't notice any probs for them even in the deep sand. They drove so fast on some of those roads it was scary when you would come around a corner and this huge 4wd tour bus is coming at you at 30kms! The Fraser Island trucks may be autos though which may make the difference. So many gears in the Mog and close ratios could make it interesting on the sand.

michaelgroves

Explorer
Looks a lovely piece of kit! But a Unimog is an odd choice of platform for that kind of thing, I'd have thought. Unimogs have low power to weight ratio, long suspension travel, high ground clearance (including portal axles), a high chassis, cramped cabin, poor road performance, poor economy etc etc. As he can't use the superb off-road abilities of a Unimog (the payback for all those disadvantages), I'd have thought the same money would have bought him a much more suitable 4x4 truck chassis?

Still has the drool factor though! :drool:

dusseldorp

I think to solve a part of his problems he should mount a splitter box to give him more gears, but before that he should upgrate his horsepower ( As I recognize from the pic, his mog has only a 168HP Engine type OM 352A)
An intercooler engine OM366LA with 280-300HP would give him the right solution
With best regards
MEREX Gaggenau Germany
René Dusseldorp

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
One Q: isn't the wheel base extremely long???

Hi Christian,

If he is using it mainly for the beach (Cooloola and Fraser Island) around here, and I believe it is, then the longer wheelbase isn't an issue. In fact for much of Oz a long wheelbase is actually a plus because in theory they won't pitch as much in the desert tracks. Some of the bigger Tour buses and work trucks running on the beach are every bit of the wheelbase seen on this mog.
Also some of the guys might camp up there for 2 or 3 months on end while the fish are running. Half their luck.
Regars John.

Christian

Adventurer
I'm sorry, I did not formulate it precisely enough, it was by no means a critique, just that I cannot recall seing one with a wheel base like that before.

M.Bas

Adventurer
I'm sorry, I did not formulate it precisely enough, it was by no means a critique, just that I cannot recall seing one with a wheel base like that before.
But I do like that exhaust. Make something like it on a TGB13 and there's plenty of room for an extra fueltank / gastank.

nugget

Observer

Hi Christian,

He actually extended the chassis to make it longer. From talking to him it is more for touring ... I suspect it is unlikely they would go cross country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan

Members online