Australian Style Campers

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Kamparoo is an old Aussie design that's being built in Canada, and it's quite reasonable for what it offers. I think it'd make a great starting point given their simplicity and light weight.

If you're willing to take an import, Kakadu Camping has BushRanger and Echo trailers. I've seen both in person. If you have the vehicle to pull them and the money to buy, their outstanding rigs. Kakadu is also in Canada but have all the knowledge and documentation required to import and register in the USA. They also offer other imported items like the Drifta kitchen, free standing and swingout for the BushRanger tailgate. Seen that too and was very jealous.

Romer

Adventurer
Kimberley in Australia has an import license. They deliver to the US with no additional costs

Right now the dollar provides a great discount on these.

You take the AUD$ price and subtract the 20% Export Discount. You then take that and convert to USD which is at .71, so for example, an 80K Karavan = 80*.8*.71= $45.5 K through US Customs with a US valid New vehicle title. All you have to pay is State Tax like when you buy any new vehicle. The shipping costs range from 0 to $3500 AUD dependent on what you would be shipping with

I had the Kimberley Kamper (search here on forum) which is a great setup, there is one newer one for sale in classifieds. I upgraded to the Kimberley Karavan and there are now 4 in the US. There is the larger Kruiser that others have ordered

My Karavan cost me about $50K delivered to the US

here is my Karavan Thread http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ers-new-Kimberley-Karavan?highlight=Kimberley

Brad has had his much longer, here is his http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...h-of-My-Kimberley-Karavan?highlight=Kimberley

and here is the thread on my old 2002 Kamper http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/45031-My-Goldilocks-Camper-Kimberley-Kamper

They make great products

EDIT - Corrected GST to Export Discount

Last edited:

stomperxj

Explorer
The problem with the US rv market is usually the "off road" version is merely a lift block for the torflex axle and black wheels with an AT tire and no structural improvements at all. Stapled 1x2 framing isn't all that tough.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I have an Aussie built Kamparoo and I love it. I also don't understand the appeal of a RTT tent. Used Kamparoo's like mine can be found for $3-5k from time to time (do a nationwide craigslist search - I had to drive ~1800 miles round trip to get mine).

Pete79

Observer
That is just so not fair!! ;)

I thought the same thing. The "Australia Tax" at it's best.
Usually we pay double in Australia what it costs in the US. It's hard to swallow at times, but that's just the way it is.
It sucks to see Australians missing out on deals like that though.

I did a quick search yesterday $50k AUD gets you a 10 year old Karavan here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger