Aux fuel tank install in an 04 Tacoma - custom

Zam15

Explorer
One of the best rear aux tank setups I have seen. Add a passenger side stock tank from an early Toyota Truck and that can bump you up to 55 Gal! Then you would be approaching full expedition range :sombrero: (Africa, Austrailla) Would be useful to make sure you have the premium fuel for the SC...

I remember seeing some of your trip reports from Mexico/Baja. How was the availability of premium fuel down there or did you use octane booster?

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
One of the best rear aux tank setups I have seen. Add a passenger side stock tank from an early Toyota Truck and that can bump you up to 55 Gal! Then you would be approaching full expedition range :sombrero: (Africa, Austrailla) Would be useful to make sure you have the premium fuel for the SC...

I remember seeing some of your trip reports from Mexico/Baja. How was the availability of premium fuel down there or did you use octane booster?

Never had a single problem getting 91+. 25,000 miles logged south of the border. Best I found was 96 at the pump in Panama and I got the best mpg ever recorded in the truck with that fuel. 16.5mpg!

Cheers

Zam15

Explorer
That's great news! That was my main concern when installing the supercharger! Right now I average 14 MPG but can get her up to 17 MPG if I try really hard and have a tailwind :snorkel:

Thanks

peekay

Adventurer
Are you manually turning the aux fuel pump on and off? I have a similar set up and trying to figure how to use a delay relay to turn off the fuel pump after 15 minutes so I fry the pump.

-B

The best way is to plumb a return line from the stock fill line back into your aux tank. Make sure to plumb into the stock fill line in an area higher than where you T into it to fill it. That way, if you forget to turn the pump off, all it does is recirculate the overflow gas from the stock tank back into the aux tank. Believe me, you will forget! A fuel-tank specialty shop here told me about this setup and it has worked great on both my 01 and 07 Tacoma.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Mine is a manually operated momentary switch. It does not take long to transfer fuel. I usually do 3-5 gallons at a time to keep it topped off.
This has worked well for me for a decade now, last truck included. I really like the digital fuel gauge that reads in gallons too. That really works good too.

fuelgauge.JPG

The LED is an indicator for the relay so I know the pump is active when I press the momentary switch beside it.

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
The best way is to plumb a return line from the stock fill line back into your aux tank. Make sure to plumb into the stock fill line in an area higher than where you T into it to fill it. That way, if you forget to turn the pump off, all it does is recirculate the overflow gas from the stock tank back into the aux tank. Believe me, you will forget! A fuel-tank specialty shop here told me about this setup and it has worked great on both my 01 and 07 Tacoma.

Should have thought of that when we built mine. Sometimes these things just don't occur to you though! Sounds simple and efficient, logging this idea in my brain!

Cheers

paranoid56

Adventurer
please dont take this the wrong way, but i am 99.999% sure thats an aluminum tank. (i do a lot of welding) you can see the oxidizing by the weld, and the size of the weld puddle shows that its an alu tank. stainless would have a much smaller weld puddle and have a different look to the HAZ zone.

stainless or Alu, both are great metals to use for a tank as neither will rust :D

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Well, I haven't had the truck in 2yrs so I am going by memory. And once it was stuffed up in there it wasn't like I was messing with it anymore!

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179