Aux. fuel tank under trailer

eggman918

Adventurer
Having finely finishing the fine tuning after the Cummins swap in my truck I am turning my efforts back to our camp trailer and my question to the forum is
Is it worth the time to mount a fuel tank under my trailer I have the space and ground clearance to do so and have the tank and hangers so all I need to finish it
is a transfer pump and the plumbing parts.We plan a trip from California to Alaska and hopefully a trip to Mexico and Central America in the near future.
How many of you have a tank on your trailer and how often is it needed?
I have the time to do this but it could be used for other projects if the tank would not be needed.
My rig gets 16/18 mpg highway pulling the trailer and carries 65 gal on board now,but offroad 8/10 is more likely so what say you?

loren85022

Explorer
I find my spare gas gets used by others more than me. So having it portable helps. But I do like my 18 gal of water w/pump underneath.

JPNCA

Adventurer
I would see if its even legal in ca to carry fuel in a trailer or even in a non approved container.
We have some stupid rules in this state.

eggman918

Adventurer
Unless they have changed the rules it is legal with a placard if the tank is DOT here in farm country it is fairly common,the tank and hangers are from the donor van I got the 4BT from
so it should be OK,I already have a 22 gal water tank in the camper and we carry another 18 in plastic jugs,I would rather carry water then fuel in cans so more is always an option.
I guess I better check the rules again before I start they write them faster then they can be printed.

Pikeman

Adventurer
IT is actually fairly common in the Weekend Warriors, or other toy haulers to have auxiliary fuel tanks or transfer tanks to fuel up the buggies or whatever fun toys they are hauling out to the desert. I think that if you don't have a water tank that would be my suggestion, however I am planning on both a under trailer water and fuel tank for mine.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Why just a tank, why not a complete refueling trailer?

SIA-KitchenSink_lede.jpg

This caddy and trailer was built by my very good friend's Uncle Louie. To prove it worked, he drove non-stop from San Diego to NYC, and later from San Diego to Alaska. If there were an Expo "hall of fame," he should be in it.

The car is currently on display in the San Diego Auto Museum. Here's an article:

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2009/09/20/sia-flashback-everything-and-the-kitchen-sink/

Brianj5600

Hope you Alaska trip went as planned. The Alcan can make finding fuel tough after 6pm, especially diesel. Did you add a fuel tank to your trailer?

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
I added a fuel tank under my trailer. It was a no brained for me. But I used a 26 gallon fuel tank from an Isuzu Trooper complete with skid plate. These thanks have a nice filler neck tube, return, vent lines and in tank fuel pump built in that makes the task as Aux easy. I used motor boat tank connectors and an electric plug so I can actually transfer fuel from the trailer to truck while on the go. And Mt truck has 2 fuel tanks as well. A 26 gallon main and 18 gallon reserve.

The cool factor is when I switch between the tanks I also get correct fuel levels readings too.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
I also used the original 75L fuel tank from the donor Frontier in my trailer project. Same with Curtis, I used the filler neck and in-tank pump for transfer. I've only used it a few times as a range extender, but the fuel gets used very often to feed the Webasto heater used to heat the RTT/annex. The skid plate hasn't been installed yet because of the forward mount doesn't work since I built a new frame as opposed to using the original truck frame. It's not complicated, I just haven't had the timelow priority. I like it, but I also have a 60L water tank on the opposite side, and can add in either fuel and/or water jerry cans, depending on the trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78