aux trans coolers

irish1371

Adventurer
ok throw out how ya liked your if you have used one. There are a lot of companies out there making them. I plan to mount it in front of the radiator and condenser. I would like about the largest one possible that will fit and work well. Getting tired of wearing boots so my feet don't burn while I go up hills.

The tunnel next to the gas pedal gets freaking hot. Wondering how much a 1" bl may help with this also- IF anyone has done that for heat reasons??

2006 lj auto 33" on 4" lift

orangeTJ

Explorer
1.25" JKS Body lift - that's what most people with a TJ / LJ Prefer.... because it retains the stock body mount isolators.

Any body lift that totally replaces the stock components WILL induce NVH (noise, vibration and hasrhness) from the chassis to the body. Ask me how I know. I statrted with BL that uses polyurethand spacers, and hated it so I switched to a JKS BL.

Trans coolers: Get a plate style cooler, like what B&M has: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-70264/

For mounting, I used a bracket from www.offroadtrailtools.com (their website seems to be down at the moment)

Last edited:

1stDeuce

Explorer
Not to bum you you, but I bet you'll find that the floor temp doesn't change much with a tans cooler installed. Not to say that it isn't a great idea, but my jeep has a manual trans that doesn't really get hot, and the floor still does... I think most of the heat is because hot air from the engine compartment gets exhausted down past the floor. I wear sandals to keep my tootsies from getting too hot on long drives. (No carpet...) You might also try to clean up the floor some on the underside and apply some stick-on type thermal barrier. It should reflect any heat that's coming from the trans, but isn't going to do much for ambient (air) heat.
Do let us know if the trans cooler helps any with floor temp though! I'll second the notion that a subtle body lift might help some, as it moves the body away from the trans. I cut down some old 2" spacers to about 5/8" on my table saw and bought new bolts that were about 1/2" longer. Do stay away from the kits that replace your rubber mounts with poly, as many of them are poorly executed, and hard as a rock.
Chris

irish1371

Adventurer
I still have a JKS 1.25 bl laying around in the garage I might throw at it. I just do not enjoy the thought of my jeep being up higher then it really needs. I may have to break down and vent the hood then sooner then I had planned.

It make sense that it may be related to air flow from the eng area. the wife complains of the tunnel heat too.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Heh Heh, you should buy a JK/JKU--they come witha complete.effecient thermal shroud in the tunnel, my jeep floorboards never get hot !!

I've been in 115° deset heat--no problemo !

You could also just "fish" a Thermal/Acoustic insulation, over the top of the tranny--PRESTO !!

:costumed-smiley-007:bike_rider: JIMBO

Rubicon

Observer
My observation (from my 2004 Rubicon w/auto tranny) is that much of the heat seems to come from the catalytic converter sitting directly under the passenger seat - it gets very toasty here in So Cal during the summer. Mine seems to get hotter on the passenger side than the driver's side - although on long freeway/highway drives (6+ hours) and/or heavy wheeling, the heat gets "stupid hot"!

Rubicon

Observer
That's an idea. I also am running "tummy-tucker" skid plates under the engine, tranny, cross-member, etc... so there is very little air circulation around the CAT. I think that is leading to some of the "issues" I've had with heat. I'd love to pull the whole exhaust off, pull the tranny out & coat the underside of the tub with heat reflective/insulating coating(s). I've read of a few articles about dragsters & race cars using these products to reduce cabin temps during racing.

I've also thought of simply adding some "reflective insulation" under the stock carpeting to see if that helps even a little bit... Of course, you don't have carpet, so that's not likely an option for you. :)

hollaback55

Explorer
tub heat

lizard skin makes a great ceramic coating you can use on the interior of the tub which makes it much easier to install than trying to coat the underside. also the heat originates mostly from the cats as they get toasty hot.

body lift is a great idea, JKS is the way to go

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears