Auxiliary fuel tanks

phenopd

Observer
I put an auxiliary tank in my E350 for the diesel heater I just installed
and was wondering what other people have done to solve the filler issue.
I put the tank where the spare used to reside

phenopd

Observer
I could do that, however I’ve mounted the other tank already and just have to put a filler tube into it. I was wondering what others have done to get some ideas.
It was easier to mount the other tank and put in the tube that connects to the heater pump…. I think. Anyway I’m hoping to get some ideas on how others have gone about it.
Mike

joeblack5

I like the electric pump idea... Then you can pump it back in case you run out. I would not want to sacrifice my spare. It helps also to keep the cog low.

I got a transfer flow on our e350 that sits between the spare and the rear axle..used to use that as my wvo tank. On our other e350 4*4 ambulance we got a squarish plastic fuel tank from a Ford or Chevy truck..

Good luck,
Johan

phenopd

Observer
The tank I have is from a dodge car. It has a pump built-in. I’m going to go to a local wrecking yard and cruise for a fuel-filler that looks like it’ll work and go from there. I like the idea of putting a door in the rear quarter panel
for the filler. We’ll see what I come up with.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
I took the sending unit out and drilled a hole into that for a pickup tube. The pickup tube for the heater sits an inch or so above the pickup for the engine so I don't suck the tank dry during a cold night and get stranded. But of course I also carry fuel in a jerry can. If you're running an auxiliary tank, I'm sure they make aftermarket fill port you can use. Maybe get a generic marine one of a boat. They are most likely setup like a bulkhead fitting.

PXL_20210312_162716123 copy.jpg

Betarocker

Adventurer
The tank I have is from a dodge car. It has a pump built-in. I’m going to go to a local wrecking yard and cruise for a fuel-filler that looks like it’ll work and go from there. I like the idea of putting a door in the rear quarter panel
for the filler. We’ll see what I come up with.

Be aware that some gasoline and diesel parts might not work with the other fuel, ie the pump and seals.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
You would be hard pushed to burn 20 gallons of diesel with a diesel heater in a year!
This is realy an auxilary tank for the vehicle. The heater is a side issue?
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Lilnuts

One member on here. Documented his build. "Yolanda turbine princess".
Hinged his drivers tail light and put the fill in there. I haven't seen it in person but I like the concept.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger