Average D2 month?

DividingCreek

Explorer
I got a 2002 d2 @ 101k. Drove it to 160k and gave it to a friend last year. Replaced one rear brake caliper, did brake pads all around, rebuilt the front drive shaft, and replaced the front bumper twice but otherwise just changed the oil. Very problem free truck.

D4782

Observer
How about a high mileage lr3? Is that Jag v8 good for many km? What about the rest of the platform? As far as I can tell from the rover maintenance schedule it will be due for coolant and ATF/Diff fluids.

Last edited:

DiscoDavis

Explorer
How about a high mileage lr3? Is that Jag v8 good for many km? What about the rest of the platform? As far as I can tell from the rover maintenance schedule it will be due for coolant and ATF/Diff fluids.

IMO the 4.4 is great. With good maintenance it should go fine. Have met several other owners with mileages that exceed 250k, and they had very few issues. One guy in Elko NV (mining town) had same year as me and the only stuff he did besides oil changes was change a bad compressor at some point....

Early years if not caught early have bad differential breathers notably at the front axle, can cook the diff. Front lower control arms are notorious for going bad and making noise, but can be driven for a while in that state. To OP: if you do decide on a D3/LR3, hope you find one with perfect (and I mean perfect) maintenance records. The things love preventative maintenance. It should treat you right. Mine was super low mileage for its model year, and I honestly could have run it for a long time without anything crazy breaking, but I went a little crazy in 2015 building it for travel so I did a lot of work. Go to the LRforums for more specific tech info.

D4782

Observer
I have checked and read on the LR forums.

This truck is an '05 LR3 With 213000 kilometer. Dealer trade in at a Kia dealer. Originally listed at 15000 and now on "Christmas sale" for $8800. PO claims it was dealer maintained except I can't find which dealer. I'll keep working on that. Had a Kia PPI (for whatever that's worth?) That resulted in changing tie rods, belts, oil, bulbs and alignment.

Looking good. Just want more history.

D4782

Observer
Found 6 of the 26 service history records from LR. The ones I found were from 114k-140k and largely suspension problems. Complaints of grinding noises multiple times. Track rods and control arms replaced twice in that period. I knew control arms needed replacement but that often? Was that a known problem? Other than that it was the park brake fix and just some minor stuff. Looking okay to me.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Found 6 of the 26 service history records from LR. The ones I found were from 114k-140k and largely suspension problems. Complaints of grinding noises multiple times. Track rods and control arms replaced twice in that period. I knew control arms needed replacement but that often? Was that a known problem? Other than that it was the park brake fix and just some minor stuff. Looking okay to me.

LCA's are a known issue. Some people in certain climates got lucky and never had issues but everyone else has it at some point. Should not be that frequent, so I am guessing it could be a freak occurrence or a misdiagnosis? Mine were done I think at 36k and at 90k, I'm guessing all the salt and humidity in Virginia played some role here but not sure. PO should know what dealer they went to.... so I see no reason for an incomplete history.

If it looks okay, go pay to have it inspected by a LR dealer. Like this is an absolute requirement unless you're getting an even more insane deal and you yourself are magically a LR master tech. You could be getting a steal but if that baby is hiding something major it is borderline worth it. :snorkel:

EDIT: look for water damage!

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I had the following failures:

Head Gasket
Water Pump
Both drive shafts
Mass Airflow Sensor
ABS Module ($2700)
Two failed wheel speed sensors (3 amigos)
Failed hub bearing, Rear Right (more 3 amigos)
Failed brake caliper, Front Left (more 3 amigos)
Bad window regulator
Headliner sagged badly
Rear sunroof motor failed
Rear Left doorlock actuator failed
Passenger seat heater failed
Washer motor failed, then started working again the day I sold it.

This on a vehicle I babied, pampered, loved, but could never keep running well for more than a month at a time. PILE OF JUNK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998