Awesome find on EBAY!

a.mus.ed

Explorer
Wasn't there some one on here about a year ago that had one and was building it up?

I'm thinking my couch, projector and screen will fit in there nicely, with enough room left over for a real bed and a kitchen. It looks bigger than my house.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Big...REAL BIG.

There is one similar-ish on the Gov-Liquidation site. It is a rolling tool truck on the same 5T platform. M944A1 Mobile Shop Equipment Truck. 2239 miles and 167 hours on it!!:drool: Heck, It even comes with TOOLS!
I've never done the Govt Auction thing but this is cool. Starting bid...
150.00 bucks!

Attachments

• 5tonArmyTruck.jpg
    5tonArmyTruck.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 238

SwiCago

Observer
Wow..that would make an awesome RV. Just imagine driving that thing into a campground..the looks you'd get. Jaws wide open... :smiley_drive:

troy

Adventurer
Q: What is a comfortable cruising speed with this?
A: Thank you for your interest in my auction. 60 to 62 on the Interstate.

Q: is cdl required to drive it
A: Not if you register it as Antique. It is 30 years old and qualifies as Antique. In Louisiana I drive it without any issues. The Insurance on it is Less than $300 per year

Insurance and annual license savings could help offset the fuel bill. :)

FAW3

Adventurer
I used to be the DOD surplus property acquisition person for a PD. You really see some neat, weird and expensive stuff at the big DRMO depots. I used to love getting the DOD shipping cases...military seemed always to buy a neat toy AND would buy the high priced box for it...the PD would buy the civilian type toy, and skimp on the box..and we would break it all to often.

I believe I saw one of these at a depot once...

As I recall how it looked like the sides opened up...you have the outer wall which moves out; then you have (in the normal "road ready" mode) a two section inner wall. This inner wall is split longways mid height...and it becomes 1/2 the floor and 1/2 the roof when extended out. This would mean that anything fix mounted to the "road ready mode" wall, depending if mounted low or high, would be either on the floor or the ceiling.

I would guess the workaround to this would be to have everything modular...you would "open up" and slide/roll everything into place. Think of how McD's has their kitchen equipment...all modular and rollable (for cleaning and easy replacement) using umbilicals for power, water and drains.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
McGuiver fuel...

Are these gas or diesel?

These are what the military terms "multi fuel". They will burn on almost anything combustable...ish. Though obviously some things work better or have less chance of causing an issue than others.

They are also DREADFULLY uncomfortable to ride in. Loud, bumpy, and all the creature comforts of the old Iron Maiden! Not the band..the suit!

What would be very interesting would be for someone with a very large budget to take one of these surplus trucks and make it honestly good for civvy use. Cost effective? Prob. not. But it would be very cool! Heck, it may even start a trend! But these are some of the things I think it would need...
A complete cab interior remodel. Something offering adjustable, comfy, maybe air ride seats for both dvr and pass. Sound surpression everywhere possible. A functioning and effective Heat and AC system that includes the ability to defrost/fog the windows. Better WS wipers.
Mechanically they are over engineered as are most US Militarys stuff. The drivetrain is sound enough...but not very efficent. Maybe find a way to eek out some more power AND economy. Not that you would really want to do it..but increase the topp speed..or more precisely, allow the sweet spot for the crusing range be 70. Not hardly holding 62 on the flat going WOT! Granted it is governed there but there must be some way to raise power, drop RPMs, and increase MPH and MPGs??
The RV section could be how ever one of any of us would do it. That is not the real issue. Its the driving and using this beasty that is so unrefined that makes owning one less than a joyous occasion sometimes...
Just my thoughts...Now someone call Mr. Trump or Mr. Gates and tell him to get cracking! Or better yet...someone get Jay Leno involved!!!:wings:

Mamontof

Explorer
These are what the military terms "multi fuel". They will burn on almost anything combustable...ish. Though obviously some things work better or have less chance of causing an issue than others.

It is a Great full 6x6 off road "large" SUV:smiley_drive: , only when drive do not

forgets ask some body have a huge favor drive a Fuel Tanker behind :wings:

ProtoTribal

Observer
That's an awesome rig. I'm the one that had the M292A2 a while back. Mine was a 2 1/2 ton non turbo model so it didn't like going up hill but the ride really wasn't too bad. Ebay takes too long so I didn't look but this one probably has the bigger Cummins Turbo diesel which is supposed to be marginally better on the highway. As far as speeds go, you should keep it under 50mph but they'll go faster. Going slower = last longer, less maintenance, better mileage. I drove the M292 from Morro Bay, CA to Dolores, CO, then to Abq, NM and went 50 to 55 most of the time. It's pretty loud and definitely more like a tractor than a pickup though. I put a wood stove in the M292 and lived in it in Hesperus, CO for a winter before trading it off for a M35A2. They're really cool trucks.

You can find power steering kits for them, use some dynamat, reroute the exhaust to the rear, install a heater and hard top and make them much more civilized. Converting to larger Super Singles will also slow the engine down a little at highway speeds. Steel Soldiers is a great place to look if you're into big green trucks. Great bunch of guys over there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78