Awning for a Pop-Up: To Build or Buy?

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Hey All,

Been searching the web for awhile now, and Im trying to narrow down options for an Awning. Budget is going to be no more than $250 hopefully (if I buy one). What do you guys recommend? Any cool home built setups I could get ideas from?

Here are a few I have found, first 3 are my top choices if I buy one.

Camping Lab Awning

Bus Depot Awning This looks like a great economical solution. Any experience with these?? I like the price!

ARB Awnings This is another one I like. Ive seen plenty of EXPO members with these. What do you guys thing about this. Price seems pretty good as well.

Fiamma Awnings A little out of my price range...

Eezi Awn Awnings, but out of my price range

MomBasa Awnings, but not much info on them....

Other Options:

Kelty Car Tarp But im not really into this.

Any Other Ideas?

As far as "Home Built" Awnings Go, I would be great to see picts your setup, or links to different ideas/builds. Im all about the home projects, but want to make sure the awning works well, and is easy to set up. Preferably by one person if needed.

P5020023.jpg

Thanks for your Input in advance! :victory:

Paul

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Ive had 2of the delux awnings from jc whittney...love both of them...had the 10ftr on the van..have a 11ftr on the skamper...great quality and easier to pack and unpack than you would think...also..get some LED lights for the site at night...love mine!!

IMG01061.jpg

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Hi Paul,

I went extra cheap with this...as usual. I just put a few hardware store coat hooks on the side of the camper that are the right distance apart for the end grommets of a tarp to hook onto. Then I just use two, two-piece tarp poles (my parents had an old, picnic table tarp set lying around), two sets of nylon, adjustable tie downs and tent stakes for the other end.

It set me back about $6 for the coat hooks.

Eric

chnlisle

Adventurer
I prototyped this by sewing together 2 old drapery panels. I attached awning rail to both sides of the camper so I can use it on either side. It worked great. The new one will be out of Sunbrella

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Ive had 2of the delux awnings from jc whittney...love both of them...had the 10ftr on the van..have a 11ftr on the skamper...great quality and easier to pack and unpack than you would think...also..get some LED lights for the site at night...love mine!!

rrorc,
Thanks for the idea! I had no idea JC Whitney had em for sale. In your opinon, how is the quality compared to an ARB awning? They look very similar. BTW, great rebuild on your skamper! Glad to see you using it! :wings:

I went extra cheap with this...as usual. I just put a few hardware store coat hooks on the side of the camper that are the right distance apart for the end grommets of a tarp to hook onto. Then I just use two, two-piece tarp poles (my parents had an old, picnic table tarp set lying around), two sets of nylon, adjustable tie downs and tent stakes for the other end.
It set me back about $6 for the coat hooks.

Hey Eric! Do you have any picts of your setup? I'm seriously debating trying to build something, but those ARB, JC Whitney, Camping Lab awnings seem so much more bomber than a homemade tarp setup in windy conditions. Hows yours hold up with wind? Also how is that slick paint job holding up so far? I priced it out and its going to cost me about $50 to match my camper and truck... haha maybe down the road..... But it would look so good! :smiley_drive:

I prototyped this by sewing together 2 old drapery panels. I attached awning rail to both sides of the camper so I can use it on either side. It worked great. The new one will be out of Sunbrella

Thanks chnlisle! Any picts of your setup as well. How did it do in the wind? I'm trying to get ideas and a feel for how the homemade setup handles wind.

Anyone have experience with that BUS DEPOT Awning. I like the fact that I can use it as an easy up as well as a camper awning. Seems more versatile and much more compact than just carrying around an EZ-Up. Their Website says it folds up into a bag the size of a camping chair! Right now, Im leaning slightly towards this one, but that can change in 5 min. haha

I appreciate your opinions guys! Please keep em coming! :victory:

Scoutman

Explorer
I'm curious as to what you end up with. I've looked at awnings for a while now but haven't settled on one just yet either. I really like the bus depot one and the price is good but I'd have to come up with some way to mount it to the truck camper. I also wonder if you got the 8x8 version if a screen room addition from an ez awn would work with it or not.

When I first got my TC, I figured I'd just get an ez awn but they are so bulky and heavy and I quickly learned that I didn't have the space for such a monster.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
I'm curious as to what you end up with. I've looked at awnings for a while now but haven't settled on one just yet either. I really like the bus depot one and the price is good but I'd have to come up with some way to mount it to the truck camper. I also wonder if you got the 8x8 version if a screen room addition from an ez awn would work with it or not.

When I first got my TC, I figured I'd just get an ez awn but they are so bulky and heavy and I quickly learned that I didn't have the space for such a monster.

Me too! There are pros and cons to each. An EZ-up Awn is way too much to carry on a trip! I was debating that too cause for $100 at Big 5 Sporting Goods and you are set up.

I really like the ARB Awning, but that Bus Depot one interests me because of the price, versatility, and size. They say it fold ups to the size of a typical camp chair which I can handle. Also if you buy (2) more legs for $20 you can use it as a stand alone awning. Huge plus IMO that way its not just a dedicated camper awning.

Maybe some picts (from the Bus Dept website) will spark some interest. :Wow1:

awning_vgn_2.jpg

This is how it looks like they attach it to a VW. I'm thinking it will be really easy to adapt this to a camper. Im just curious on the wind resistance strength.

awningsturdy3.jpg

More application photos...

awningcollage5.jpg

Thoughts, comments, suggestions? Are we crazy guys? haha :bike_rider:

Scoutman

Explorer
Well I would think on of the pro's of the bus depot awning are that you can use it with multiple vehicles easily. We have the truck and camper but also have a 4 door JK that it would come in handy for too. As far as mounting, it looks like there is just a cross pole that you would have to figure out how to mount to your TC. I saw one pict where the guy basically had some velcro strips that held it to his roof racks (I think it was the land cruiser above). You could use some sort of clamp or bracket to attach it to either side of your TC which is nice too. Since your camper is probably only 8' long anyway, it would probably fit nicely end to end. Mine is about 12' long and I think the 11' awning would completely cover the back door of my truck.

Another thing I like is that the roof is dome'd up to keep the water from pooling in the middle. Also, if the sun changes or you want to block some wind, you can lower the poles and change the angle of the canopy (similar to the Kelty Carport). I don't see myself using it in freestanding mode but as you said, it can be done.

beavernation

Ok I will bite and be a "guinea pig"!...I just ordered the 8x11 from The Bus Depot to staddle between the teardrop and the Grand Cherokee. I will try to post my thoughts after I have it out for a weekend.......

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Think'n outathebox!

Great job! Now, I'm gonna steal your idea! Thanks for the post!!!

Nice!! Let us know what you think.

Ok I will bite and be a "guinea pig"!...I just ordered the 8x11 from The Bus Depot to staddle between the teardrop and the Grand Cherokee. I will try to post my thoughts after I have it out for a weekend.......

Oh man!! The suspense is killing me!!! :yikes: I keep going back and forth on it. I just have a hard time spending the money for a single use awning. This one is so much more versatile. I look forward to hearing your report. Thanks!!

Any proud homebuilt"ers" out there that want to post some pictures of their awning setups and rub in the tiny cost? :ylsmoke: Im interested to see what people have come up with........

Thanks for all the reply's guys!

Scoutman

Explorer
I think one of the nicest 'homebuilt' awnings has to be one I saw on the RV forum.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/16151627/gotomsg/16151627/p/1.cfm#16151627

It would all depend on how fancy you want to get. A tarp, clips, poles and 550 cord are about all you need to get the job done but it's not going to be as nice as any of the above.

Beavernation, I'm curious how the 8x11 turns out for you as that is probably the one I would get too. Make sure to post back with good pictures. :)

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Thanks Scoutman! Those are some cool homemade setups. I had originally drempt up something very similar to the second "PVC" awning setup. Then I realized that after I bought all the materials and then spent a Entire Saturday perfecting it, would it be worth it? Time is money they say, and unfortunately my project list is WAY too big! hahaha

Seriously cant wait to hear your initial thoughts on the Bus Depot Awning Beavernation!! :coffeedrink:

Anyone find any other "budget" awning setups for sale that we missed? I think my #2 choice would be the JC Whitney Awning. But including shipping cost Im interested to see what the price difference would be versus the ARB Awning total cost. Oh decisions! :xxrotflma

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears