Awning Mounting Options Help Sought

rcintx

Adventurer
Ok. I give up. I picked up a Napa awning in a sale a few months back and cannot for the life of me figure out how to mount it to the factory (flush) roof rails on my 2016 Suburban. I've looked at different mounting brackets that companies make and have not found anything compatible. Do I have to add aftermarket rails or a basket to mount the awning too? I'd prefer to have something simple if at all possible. I'd also prefer it to be farily easy to remove as I'll only want it there when we take a trip. I am happy to post pictures or more information if need be. Please tell me there is a simple solution that I have just overlooked.

RAFoutdoors

Retired Explorer
I had the same issue for a long time. I have a 2013 Chevy Tahoe Z71 with the factory roof rack. I have wanted to mount a gear pod, roadshower and awning to the rails and cross bars. I mounted the gear pod and roadshower to the factory rack but was always concerned of the strain I was putting on the OEM rack. I didn’t want to have to McGiver a mount for the awning because of concern it would stress the OEM rack further and/or fail causing damage (to my or other vehicle). I pulled the pin and bought a Rhino Rack Pioneer tray with quick release mounts that make it very easy to install everything. I can’t leave it mounted because it won’t clear the garage door/ceiling.
I remember an article that Johnathan Hanson (Overland Expo) wrote about roof rack systems failing and causing damage or ruining trips. That pushed me to spend the money and not try to make something from scratch. I plan on keeping this rig for a long time and want to do it right.
I am not saying this is what you should do….. this is just what I decided to do. Good luck and safe travels.

rcintx

Adventurer
Images included of the awning track and Suburban rails. The awning came with “L” brackets but I think I’d have to drill the rails or add aftermarket crossbars.
BFB2CD6C-C29C-41BB-93DE-E07B2F3F8AD1.jpeg

Attachments

• B0D348C7-AF48-441F-BF2D-CADC31FEBCFE.jpeg
    B0D348C7-AF48-441F-BF2D-CADC31FEBCFE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • F5D3C890-3256-4EC4-B7DC-39C94DB03A2D.jpeg
    F5D3C890-3256-4EC4-B7DC-39C94DB03A2D.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 11

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member