Awning Recommendations

luk4mud

Explorer
After a fair amount of research, I settled on the ARB. Just arrived today, I think it was $225 shipped from Amazon. I'll post some pix after I have had a chance to mount and use it. Thanks for all your input.

tantoco

Observer
ssssnake529, I'm about to pull the trigger on a Foxwing. I have a ThuleAero load bars I want to mount it to, how did you mount yours? Thanks.

I have a Foxwing awning.

I really like it. It unfurls to provide coverage for the entire passenger side and rear of the vehicle. I do a lot of desert camping, so having a big patch of shade is a good thing. Takes about 5 minutes to deploy, and a little longer than that to put it away. It has protected me from sun, rain, hail and snow. It's attached to two Thule roof bars, and I leave it attached pretty much all the time. My only complaint is that the zippered cover that covers it could be just a tad larger. Folding it up and stowing it away takes longer than it should because the fit is just a little bit tight.

video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HCggh7f8kI

Picture on my rig:

attachment.php

stioc

Expedition Leader
Like I reviewed earlier, The ARB is a great awning for the price. It provides ample shade and does that job well and like I said, its great for the price. That said, With small kids and when its dark and you've had a couple of beers the guy lines will get you or you kids. I've been finding that staking in the desert is proving to be ridiculous and if wind is in the forecast this awning will launch if not staked. Setting up by yourself can be a pain as well. Otherwise we are making do with what we have and will upgrade to the Hannibal once funds allow. If you have the money go for the Hannibal. :)

What about using EZ-up style weight bags attached to the legs? no guy lines.

gregnash

This is awesome and exactly what I have been looking for. I mtn bike a lot (some racing) and the wife is a paddleboard racer. I have been thinking about an awning for the highlander and the land cruiser to make things easy in the parking lots (many times just dirt lots) so that we have some shade to pop a couple chairs down and relax a bit. I would love the Fiamma like Spresso has (Dan I am going to have to see this at one of the trail runs) but right now I am looking for cheap. I may see about doing the DIY route for now until we can buy something better like the Foxwing or Fiamma.

Keep the pics coming as I love seeing these things implemented and how people use them (especially if you do a DIY).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78