Awnings, which to buy.

buldyourown

Observer
I'm looking to buy an awning to mount to the side of my truck canopy. 6ft or a bit longer would be ideal. I often setup on uneven rocky ground or pavement, so having an awning that requires NO posts or guy lines would be preferred. I would also like one that rolls up on it's own like the Thule does. Oh yeah, it needs to fit in it's own hardcase too since it will stay on the truck.
The closest thing I've found is the Shady Boy. My beef with it is that I'd like something that rolls up by itself.

Any advise or personal experience would be appreciated. I have a design idea in mind that I could use to make a roll out awning "poll-less" if needed. However, the only awning I could find that rolls out and has a hard case is the Thule. I'm not thrilled about the idea of spending $700 on an awning that still needs a lot of mods to make it what I want. I don't mind spending that kind of money, but it would need to be turnkey.

Thanks for any help.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I'm using a shady boy awing, more price conscious than most @ $325 shipped. And it's mad in Canada :). http://www.shadyboy.com/vans/index.html measure out to 6' X about 10' comes in a sleep AL case that weighs less than 15lbs. and be modded to mount to almost anything. As you'll see on the site they are intended for VW buses buuuuut not a problem.

P1070241.jpg

PB224422.jpg

PB224420.jpg

P6046022.jpg

P6046015.jpg

buldyourown

Observer
Thanks for those. The ARB and the Fiamma both have some nice features.
Anybody actually own either of them?
Does the Fiamma have to have the guy lines to stay up? I spend way too much time on asphalt, so that's a deal breaker.

I wish the ARB had a hard case....

miller_au

Adventurer
My dad uses the ARB awning. Its great. It is free standing also/no guy ropes

Also saw this sweet awning at a recent 4x4 show.

Vehicle_358_20081023_141024.jpg

Last edited:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
buldyourown said:
Thanks for those. The ARB and the Fiamma both have some nice features.
Anybody actually own either of them?
Does the Fiamma have to have the guy lines to stay up? I spend way too much time on asphalt, so that's a deal breaker.

I wish the ARB had a hard case....

The Fiamma has provision for guy lines, but I hardly ever use them. In windy conditions I usually just peg the feet down. The Fiamma 35 pro also has provision for the legs to attach to the side of the vehicle using fittings that are provided. That way you could set it up and not worry about the ground surface.

The Eezi Awn awnings are self retracting and have outer support legs. In windy conditions the legs should be pegged down.

All the awnings with outer support legs with would suffer damage if the outer portion of the awning was not secured in windy conditions.

The Hannibal awning is free standing, but unavailable in the USA at this time. Fiamma makes free standing awnings but they are in longer lengths intended for 5th wheels and other longer trailers.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
miller_au said:
My dad uses the ARB awning. Its great. It is free standing also/no guy ropes

Also saw this sweet awning at a recent 4x4 show.

Vehicle_358_20081023_141024.jpg

Now thats just cool as a cucumber, if you had a rtt deploy from the other side you would have 75% coverage. This would be especially good in a rain or sunny condition when one wanted to stay out of the elements.

Aaron

I sent miller_au a PM about the Awning. I hope he remembers what company that is from. Looks like an interesting design. Anyone else know anything about it?

miller_au

Adventurer
olympiccop2002 said:
I sent miller_au a PM about the Awning. I hope he remembers what company that is from. Looks like an interesting design. Anyone else know anything about it?

I thought my ears were burning.... :D

It is a "Foxwing Awning". Its sold by RhinoRack and made by OZTENT (best tents you can get IMO) They are not avail yet but here is a link to some info and also a mailing list to recieve updates.
Hope this helps..

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCategory_Foxwing-Awning_56.aspx

I think RhinoRacks are rebadged as Westin in USA so might want to try this link alo

http://www.westinautomotive.com/pages/MAIN_CM_all.html

Nice! Maybe Westin will bring it over here! I bet you could special order it from them if not... I want to see more pictures! Thanks for posting the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior