AXEL ADVENTURE 2013 JKU Overland (slooooow) build

MOSDIF589

Axel Adventures
I wanted to put some BLING on the Jeep such as ARB LED lights or their snorkel but then I came back down to earth and thought about what I really want and would use more. I had an ARB fridge along time ago and loved it but could hardly ever fit it in the TJ with the family riding. Now that I have the 4dr I've got the room and it would be great for our camping trips plus we do a lot of driving / exploring trips. Also we are so busy during through out the year with all the kids sports, running club, football, basketball, cheerleading, etc. it will be nice to have cold drinks & snacks right at hand at all times and avoid the constant convenient store stops with their over inflated cost....

So... First up is a dual battery set up. I looked at several but once I met the guys at Genesis Off-Road and viewed their product I was sold. They show great attention to detail... I won't go into all the details, if your interested just Google them. I'll post pics of the install soon...
image.jpg

Lecoq

Explorer
I know what you mean when you say bling. I'd love to get a set of ARB Intensity lights but at almost $1600 there's a lot of other things that will be getting first dibs. Get the useful stuff that matters most first and then on to the BLING. :sombrero:

rodi

Observer
Looking good. What did it cost to paint the hood? Part number?
Are you wiring your flush rear lights to the reverse relay or thru the sPod? I've been looking for a good three-way switch for on/off/auto with reverse. Or maybe the sPod relay can let me wire it for On and Auto(operated by reverse gear).
What part of GA are you in?

Inline6

Adventurer
Thanks... It really fits my needs these days...

I see you have a TJ with D60's.... I had a 2004 TJ Rubicon with D60's & 41" IROK's, great machine...!!!

They are, sometime I believe better off road rock machines. But there are plenty of great jks doing that as well.

I'm sure we will run into each other around atl one of these days, if we have not already.

MOSDIF589

Axel Adventures
Looking good. What did it cost to paint the hood? Part number?
Are you wiring your flush rear lights to the reverse relay or thru the sPod? I've been looking for a good three-way switch for on/off/auto with reverse. Or maybe the sPod relay can let me wire it for On and Auto(operated by reverse gear).
What part of GA are you in?

1) Several paint shops quoted my between $300.00 - $400.00 but my friend runs a paint & body shop at a dealership and did it for $200.00.

2) Look for my receipt but couldn't find it, I'll see if I can come up with it again.

3) Wire the rear lights is still up in the air. Still looking into best way to wire it up and replacement switches for the SPOD.

blvdking

Observer
That's a good looking JKU! I am thinking of adding Ridgid lights to mine but can't decide which ones and if they are worth it.

MOSDIF589

Axel Adventures
That's a good looking JKU! I am thinking of adding Ridgid lights to mine but can't decide which ones and if they are worth it.

Rigid lights are pricier than others but I feel for the money they are great.... I like light so I have plans to add more but that's just me... Looking to add some ARB LED lights to the front but my bank account is frowning at me so I haven't pulled the trigger. I don't have an open budget....

moabian

Interested in hearing your thoughts on the dual battery tray. That's the same one I'm looking at.

I installed the Genesis tray with dual Odysseys a couple of weeks ago...mainly to run the 63-qt ARB that lives in the Jeep. It's the best dual battery setup out there, in my opinion...very high quality components and construction. The install took longer than expected though. I was unable to remove 2 of the 7 connectors from the factory fuse/relay box. But I was able to get the box up onto the fender and out of the way with those connectors still attached. I also had some issues with the factory wiring harness putting pressure on the oil dipstick tube and relocated evap solenoid...just had to bend it around a bit. Shane at Genesis is very accessible and willing to help on the phone with any problems. I thought one of the harder parts of the install would be removing the OEM battery tray once everything was disconnected, but that only took about a minute. I pulled it out from the front rather than the rear as the instructions indicate...after removing one ground connection not mentioned in the instructions. Make sure you have some terminal spreaders. The terminals on the Genesis kit are heavy duty but one of them had to be opened up a bit before I could get it all the way onto the battery post.

As for the Rigid lights...yes, they are worth it. I have a 30" Rigid e-series bar on the front bumper. The light output is simply amazing. However, if I were to do it over, I would get a shorter bar and some D2's so that the smaller lights could be aimed a little outward. The Rigid is a combination flood/spot, but the floods don't really light up the sides of the road as much as I would like. I also added the JW Speaker headlights...HUGE difference from the horrible factory headlights.

Last edited:

JeepinJon

Observer
3) Wire the rear lights is still up in the air. Still looking into best way to wire it up and replacement switches for the SPOD.

I have been looking at the options for backup lights, and my plan is a SPDT switch from OTRATTW (something like part #V6D2UHNB) with the lower trigger being the reverse lights, and the upper trigger being the switch. This would give me the positions of On, Off, Reverse. Also with the lamps being independent I can set one up to be illuminated with the dash lights, and the second to be illuminated with the manual on setting.

AeroSynch

Adventurer
Looking good! I have the ARB Stubby also but on a 2 door and was thinking about getting a Zeon 8S. Wonder if I would still have to notch the bumper like you did (don't really care about the frame part).

Hope you don't mind a photo!

1970360_500281566742679_937021722_n.jpg

ISSY

I the added a set of RIGID DUALLY D2's and used the factory fog light switch. I've seen some people get a flicker from these lights when wired to the factory harness but mine did not. I have also installed an SPOD for future light plans but I won't bore you with that right now as I have nothing hooked up to it yet. I did add a FACTOR 55 for a little bling but it does serve a purpose.
View attachment 216882

Was installing these as simple as splicing them into the factory harness?

MOSDIF589

Axel Adventures
I installed the Genesis tray with dual Odysseys a couple of weeks ago...mainly to run the 63-qt ARB that lives in the Jeep. It's the best dual battery setup out there, in my opinion...very high quality components and construction. The install took longer than expected though. I was unable to remove 2 of the 7 connectors from the factory fuse/relay box. But I was able to get the box up onto the fender and out of the way with those connectors still attached. I also had some issues with the factory wiring harness putting pressure on the oil dipstick tube and relocated evap solenoid...just had to bend it around a bit. Shane at Genesis is very accessible and willing to help on the phone with any problems. I thought one of the harder parts of the install would be removing the OEM battery tray once everything was disconnected, but that only took about a minute. I pulled it out from the front rather than the rear as the instructions indicate...after removing one ground connection not mentioned in the instructions. Make sure you have some terminal spreaders. The terminals on the Genesis kit are heavy duty but one of them had to be opened up a bit before I could get it all the way onto the battery post.

As for the Rigid lights...yes, they are worth it. I have a 30" Rigid e-series bar on the front bumper. The light output is simply amazing. However, if I were to do it over, I would get a shorter bar and some D2's so that the smaller lights could be aimed a little outward. The Rigid is a combination flood/spot, but the floods don't really light up the sides of the road as much as I would like. I also added the JW Speaker headlights...HUGE difference from the horrible factory headlights.

Good to hear your happy with the battery setup, can't wait to get mine installed but just to busy right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78