Axle location

blacklab

I'm building a box trailer to carry my boat and camping stuff, it's going to be 50 inches by 8 feet.
I've been searching for information as to the axle location. Most say 60% ahead 40% behind the axle.
I notice a lot of the builds here seem to have the axle well back in the frame, most look to be 70%, 30%.
Is there an advantage to doing it this way for off road travel?

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I think the farther back location is to reduce the rear overhang mostly. The primary reason for the normal location is to ensure enough tongue weight when loaded. Since an expo trailer usually is fairly light compared to a normal cargo trailer compared to its unloaded weight - the load has less impact on the tongue weight. You also can arrange the cargo to add or remove weight by its location ahead or behind the axle.

Eight feet long is on the larger size of a box for an expo / off-road trailer - most seem to be about 6 feet long. I think for your length it would be better to go with the standard 60/40 rule - especially since you are considering carrying a boat as well which can't always be shifted forward or back to adjust the tongue weight.

XSapper

I have been told 10% to the rear of center and that's what I did on my trailer (50" x 7' ) and it seems to work fine. Yes if you don't have enough tongue weight it'll road walk on you. Recommended tongue weight is 10% of total weight, for example trailer weight is 2500 lbs. tongue weight should be 250lbs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman