Baby Carriers

RusherRacing

Adventurer
I am looking for a soft baby carrier for our son. He will be about 2.5 months old before it gets significant amount of use. But I could see us using it tons between the ages 3months - 7months.

Because space is always a concern when we travel we would like a soft carrier. The Kelty looks great for hiking but not for flying across the country or city use. The aluminum frame just looks so bulky for large amounts of travel.

I would like something that was more of a backpack and was very adjustable. But if front position is best then I am ok with it.

I am 6'3' 315lbs.

Egrobaby - seems expensive for what it is?
BabyBjorn - didn't see many great reviews

Anyone have any recommendations?

Last edited:

Paladin

Banned
I find the front carriers to be horrible. Really hurts my back. It's not so bad around the house for a little bit, but doing any kind of walking or hiking, it's just bad.

I have a Deuter full frame backpack that I can carry them in all day. Yes, it's bulky, but it works.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
My wife and I used a Baby Bjorn for our son.
We used it for light walks and such, nothing too adventurous. :)
She found it to be quite comfortable, but it would make my back sore in less than 10 minutes.
Our son seemed to be quite happy in there kicking his legs happily most of the time. We found that the front lip of the fabric that was meant to help support the back of the baby's head when the baby is in chest-chest configuration, we found it was in the way of our son's face and he couldn't se when he was facing forward.
We just used a couple of safety pins to hold that fabric away from his face. Not a big deal, just minor design flaw.

4x4mike

Adventurer
I'm 5'10" 175 and like the ergo (sp?) carrier. It was a gift from my wife's co-workers. I loved it and it's still in the car for use and my daughter turns 2 tomorrow. She's a little one, about 21 pounds currently, and still fits in it. If we're out and about it's a bailout for all involved as toting a stroller is a PITA. We had the infant insert in there for a while and used it a lot until about 1.5 years. At one year she was walking but the carrier sped things up.

I liked wearing her in the front, it was most comfortable. The back pack was a little low and I didn't like not being able to see what was going on. Now my little baby is bigger and I don't put her in it but I do already miss walking around with her. I know you've heard it before but they grow up so fast.

I've tried many other brands and even slings (my wife loved those) and none even came close to tickling my fancy. Ergo all the way.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
That just reminded of something...
I've heard the backpack style where the kid sits up high to be able to see around/over your head can be a bit of a problem when walking in a wooded area - the parent can sometimes misjudge how close that low branch is to the baby's head and the little one can get whacked.

RusherRacing

Adventurer
Do you think the Egro would expand to fit a large frame guy? I also noticed both Dueters and Kelty have packs without the Aluminum frame for the back.

smokymt

Observer
The Baby Bjorn is great early on until the baby is about 6 months old. The mesh is soft but fairly breathable. Definitely want to use a front pack until they are really good at holding their head stable.

At 6 months or so, the frame packs are the way to go even though they are a bit bulky. There are pros and cons for each brand, but my personal favorite is the Sherpani packs. I also tried the Kelty and the Deuter packs, but the Sherpani was the best overall, especially for longer hikes. The best thing about the Sherpani is how close it holds the baby to you. You would be surprised at how much of a difference that makes.

4x4mike

Adventurer
I've heard the backpack style where the kid sits up high to be able to see around/over your head can be a bit of a problem when walking in a wooded area - the parent can sometimes misjudge how close that low branch is to the baby's head and the little one can get whacked.

We also have a Kelty Basecamp. It's the external style "hiking" backpack carrier. It's OK especially when the child is longer and heavier. My daughter head isn't all that higher than mine but it does stick off your back some distance. So if you duck under something you have to remember you've got some length behind you. You'll be fine, it's not as easy to whack as forgetting you have a bike on a roof rack of your car.
The Kelty is hard to get sinched nice and tight but I'm used to well fitting backpacks. It is a must for things like snowshoeing or even the county fair. If this is your first child be prepared, like anything you need to buy some gear.

Patman

Explorer
I have been very happy with our Sherpani Rumba Superlight

http://sherpani.com/sherpani-rumba-superlight.aspx

lots of adjustments, comes with a shade/rain cover, built in storage under the important cargo. Folds flat for storage.

I tried a kelty and found it to be a little easier to adjust for my comfort, but there is no comparison when my daughter is concerned.

Once you get it adjusted correctly, it is very comfortable. Has Stirups for her, so her legs don't just hang.

Got it when she was 8 months and about 16 lbs, and now she is 2.5 and 37" and 38 lbs. Still fits us both great, and she loves it. With a sippy in hand, she is happy up there longer than I can keep going. We have gone on LONG day hikes, and she has never complained.

Michigander

We used a BabyBjorn with both of our kids when they were very small. It worked ok, I found it better in the house doing stuff rather than outdoors. When they got stronger I used a Kelty backpack and that worked great. Still use it with my 3 1/2 year old.

Neil.

We have a baby bjorn "sport" which has a bit more support than the regular bjorn (have also used one of those). For around the house/yard, it works great, but we have an REI backpack carrier for any travel/camping. Full metal frame and detachable storage pack. I would deffinitely buy it again.

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
I'll second on the Ergo. Very comfy padding for baby and parent. Can be used front or back, and is very adjustable. Not sure about it's use on a bigger dude. I'm only 5'10" and 180lbs, and lots of strap left, but I'm not sure how much. But definitely worth a check out. We're still using ours and our son is 2 1/2.

Paladin

Banned

It's a valid consideration, but a managable risk. I occaisionally make a mistake, but they both still have 2 eyes so... ;)

hoser

Explorer
We have the Bjorn, Ergo and a Kelty. If possible, I'd recommend to get all three in that order. Bjorn up to ~6months, Ergo up to ~18months and then Kelty backpack there on. We did a moderate amount of travel with these and just know, none of these are FAA approved for use during take-off and landing.

My sons like the Bjorn the most because they can see everything. I like it because I can see the baby. The major drawback, as mentioned several times, is back pain. But I was able to go 3-4 hours fine with a 3mo old... though you don't really want to keep them in there that long. I found it helpful to wear a backpack at the same time.

The Ergo is a step up in comfort for me but my kid don't really like it too much. It also doesn't go on/off as quickly or easily.

My toddler and I are very comfortable in the Kelty... the drawbacks are weight, bulk and getting in/out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears