back again...expo trailer 2.0

honda250xtitan

pics start here https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/back-again-expo-trailer-2-0.237640/post-3091230

It's been a few years, sold the trailer with the addition of offspring. Now we are getting back into camping, and naturally a bigger and better trailer is on the menu.

towing: 4runner
go fast desert stuff
needs: sleeping for 2 and a decent kitchen setup, we already have sleeping setup in the 4runner for 2. So that makes room for 4.....Do i just build another big kitchen/storage trailer and throw a RTT on? or make it a kitchen with sleeping inside like a teardrop?
axles....timbren axle'less? trailing arm? tried and true leaf springs?
Sheet it in aluminum? composite panels? or the easy sheet metal with lots of stitch welds?

i can weld, also have a plasma cutter. I despise wood work (i suck at it)

what would you do?

link to trailer 1 with pics cause GTFO if a thread has no pics... Homemade expedition trailer build | Expedition Portal

Last edited:

HaveeBear

just looked through your previous build thread...not sure why you're asking for input...I'll be asking for your input :) nice build!

Are you trying to do something different? what were the shortcomings of the previous build? The fact that you can weld opens up options quite a bit.

Debnajm

Regarding your question if you should build with the intent of adding a tent on top...I would recommend a sleep in trailer all day long. You are still in a tent, which has the downfalls of bad weather and also needing a ladder to get in and out of. A few drinks around the campfire and going up and down a ladder is not fun ;)

honda250xtitan

Regarding your question if you should build with the intent of adding a tent on top...I would recommend a sleep in trailer all day long. You are still in a tent, which has the downfalls of bad weather and also needing a ladder to get in and out of. A few drinks around the campfire and going up and down a ladder is not fun ;)

good point about the ladder...mid 30's have hit me like a truck

making it sleeper means i gotta make it 100% waterproof lol

just looked through your previous build thread...not sure why you're asking for input...I'll be asking for your input :) nice build!

Are you trying to do something different? what were the shortcomings of the previous build? The fact that you can weld opens up options quite a bit.

ha! it was ok...i'm not sure what I want to do, but i know I wanna do it differently. Last build i felt like it wasnt water proof'ed well enough. the doors leaked so much everything was covered in dust. the way i did the jacks worked but after a while they actually were annoying.

i've seen guys make the whole top tilt up and forward to access gear instead of relying on the tailgate/doors for access.

Are we still doing power via a battery and a hot wire to the trailer plug for charging? or just go straight solar panels? i ran a NOCO battery tender and it seemed to do well in between trips

so "teardrop" sleep in style trailer. kitchen off the back? timbren axles? battery and control panel stuff on the tongue in a toolbox. 10gallon water tank in between the axles...are 12v fridges still the way to go for a weekend use trailer, or just stick with buying ice and using the tried and true pelican/yeti combo. water pump and plumbed to the kitchen? roof rack for storage.. and obviously baja designs any possible way i can justify them....someone send me 10k and i'll get it done now lol

honda250xtitan

woah...just saw your profile....we used to rent the airtop from you guys via sierra expeditions in Mesa AZ. Homemade expedition trailer build | Page 5 | Expedition Portal

Teardropper

what would you do?

I'd build a 5'-wide, 10'-long.
zYrhFNf.jpg

Tony

Teardropper

well now i gotta go read all your threads and hmm/haww over buying your cut files lol.

Buy? My CNC files are free:

https://www.tonylatham.net/teardrop-cnc-files.html

But you should spend the $19 for the book to understand how the parts–-whether you chose to hand cut or CNC the parts–– go together.

You can find it in the Amazon Jungle: Building a Teardrop Trailer: Plans and Methods for Crafting an Heirloom Camper
(This forum isn't allowing a link)

You can click on the cover photo and read the first 22 pages and check the reviews.

If you have questions, I'm here.

Tony

1000arms

Buy? My CNC files are free:

https://www.tonylatham.net/teardrop-cnc-files.html

But you should spend the $19 for the book to understand how the parts–-whether you chose to hand cut or CNC the parts–– go together.

You can find it in the Amazon Jungle: Building a Teardrop Trailer: Plans and Methods for Crafting an Heirloom Camper
(This forum isn't allowing a link)

You can click on the cover photo and read the first 22 pages and check the reviews.

If you have questions, I'm here.

Tony
Try this direct to the Amazon product link:

honda250xtitan

awesome thanks guys. there a swuare drop one i've followed on youtube where he used all metal sq tube and then just double sided tape for the skin. Wonder how long thatd last in the Arizona heat though lol.

Debnajm

woah...just saw your profile....we used to rent the airtop from you guys via sierra expeditions in Mesa AZ. Homemade expedition trailer build | Page 5 | Expedition Portal
Awesome! We are trying to find another location in Arizona. We had to downsize on the assets during COVID. ?

1000arms

See what I mean? (But thanks.)

Tony
You are welcome. ... I've don't remember having any trouble posting Amazon links, but I tend to remove the extra stuff that is often tacked on to the URL. Try https:/ /www. amazon .com/dp/B083XVH9XQ/ (but without the spaces).

1000arms

awesome thanks guys. there a swuare drop one i've followed on youtube where he used all metal sq tube and then just double sided tape for the skin. Wonder how long thatd last in the Arizona heat though lol.
It was a number of years ago, and the plywood and Rustoleum paint may have changed, but, you might find the following interesting:

A while back, I designed and built a small camper trailer to tow behind my Jeep. 45 degree angle at the back for departure angle. Same size rims and tires as on my Jeep. Same track-width. Torsion axle stubs. I welded up my frame with a receiver hitch front and rear on the trailer. Pintle ring inserted in to the front receiver on the trailer. Pintle hook in the rear receiver on my Jeep. Tongue long enough that combined with the pintle hook-ring setup, I could turn with the tongue more than 90 degrees from straight ahead towing, without Jeep body to trailer body contact. The trailer body was built out of 2x layed flat and 3/8" plywood, with 3/4" plywood floor. Silicone on every joint and sheetrock screws. No insulation or interior sheathing, so very easy to see how all the joints held up. I painted the outside with Rustoleum white metal paint. I towed it across the US. It spent a lot of time in the Pacific Northwest rain (and some snow), but had no leaks when I sold it 5 years later. :)

I "glued and screwed" every bit of the perimeter, on every panel, to something solid. The "glue" did the sealing and the screws pulled the panels tight and clamped them until the "glue" cured. I was careful to avoid pushing all of the "glue" out of the joints.

I painted multiple coats of Rustoleum metal paint (white) and let the ACX plywood soak up all it could, especially the edges. It was just ACX plywood from the store with the cheap orange buckets. :cool:

The camper trailer was easy and cheap to build and seal. :)

From my post in https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...amper-build-thread.232554/page-3#post-3025194

1000arms

I suggest you look at Teardropper's book. There may be a number of things in there that you might not have considered, such as a door on each side to avoid climbing over someone, and placing the doors so that it is easy to sit up in the doorway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears