back again...expo trailer 2.0

honda250xtitan

so use the cnc files and do it all outta steel....I will absolutely hate my life if i take on that big of a wood project (hah). any reason this is a bad idea?

1000arms

so use the cnc files and do it all outta steel....I will absolutely hate my life if i take on that big of a wood project (hah). any reason this is a bad idea?
Potential weight of the trailer. Ensuring everything is properly sealed. ... Maybe you could pay someone/some-business to cut the plywood for you?

honda250xtitan

Potential weight of the trailer. Ensuring everything is properly sealed. ... Maybe you could pay someone/some-business to cut the plywood for you?

what is this "pay someone to do it for you" nonsense????

thats a good point tho.

i'm not too worried about weight however....4runner pulls 3-4 easily (rated at 5k). last trailer was 2k super max'd out. and it was overbuilt with 1/8" square tubing.

1000arms

... i can weld, also have a plasma cutter. I despise wood work (i suck at it) ...
what is this "pay someone to do it for you" nonsense???? ... that's a good point tho.

i'm not too worried about weight however....4runner pulls 3-4 easily (rated at 5k). last trailer was 2k super max'd out. and it was overbuilt with 1/8" square tubing.
:) ... I understand doing stuff rather than paying someone to do it, but sometimes it makes sense to pay someone to do it for you. If Alaskan Campers can do it, so can you, and Alaskan Campers doesn't claim to suck at wood work. :cool:

"Another change we discovered at Alaskan Campers was the addition of outsourced CNC components. Bryan said that using a local CNC company was more about improving efficiency than quality. He explained that the Alaskan team could assemble, rout, and finish wood components at the same quality as the CNC process, but doing the work by hand takes a lot more time." is from: https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/factory-tour/alaskan-campers-60-years-of-tradition/

honda250xtitan

looking like 8k all in. this is 16g sheet metal, 2x2 and 1x1 square tubing, 16 gallon water tank, tankless water heater, leaf spring axle, electrical etc. or 9k for the same setup with timbrens. PRICEY. trailer 1.0 was cheapppppp but it was also a glorified storage tote on wheels lol.

learned my lesson and made a spreadsheet with costs. instead of just winging it and buying as I build lol.

honda250xtitan

trailer is going well. i ditched the idea of a teardrop/square drop. Didnt want to put that much cash into it. Doing another version of the one i built before. 5x7. 3' tall. 2 doors, one for the rear with 2 slide outs. one on the side with one big slideout for the gear. small box on the front for electrical. 16 gallon or something water tank with a pump. rock lights under and inside the main box. started with the main box tonight. i'll hopefully get it to tacked up and the axle on tomorrow. then I can order wheel adaptors to run 6x5.5 wheels.

gatorgrizz27

IMO you’re making the right call. I really wanted to build an off road teardrop but by the time I’d worked out the plans we were starting to have kids. Teardrops are ideal for “pull over and sleep for the night” type traveling, less so for typical car camping. They are limited at hauling stuff since the bed area has to stay empty or you‘ve got to unload everything in the parking lot, defeating the “easy night’s rest.”

A more versatile setup where you can easily pull over and make lunch, and setting up a place to sleep is typically for a couple of nights, combined with being able to haul toys and do a little work around the house is a better way to go.

honda250xtitan

IMO you’re making the right call. I really wanted to build an off road teardrop but by the time I’d worked out the plans we were starting to have kids. Teardrops are ideal for “pull over and sleep for the night” type traveling, less so for typical car camping. They are limited at hauling stuff since the bed area has to stay empty or you‘ve got to unload everything in the parking lot, defeating the “easy night’s rest.”

A more versatile setup where you can easily pull over and make lunch, and setting up a place to sleep is typically for a couple of nights, combined with being able to haul toys and do a little work around the house is a better way to go.

I joked with the wife....she can use it to pull plants and soil to job sites i'm at to help with installs. on board water makes watering new plants easy.

honda250xtitan

main box, axle setup all tacked together. next up is to work on the front electrical box and tongue. waiting to order wheel adaptors as well from BORA/motorsport-tech

probably run wires as well before i throw too much sheet metal on.

found 255/75-17 bfg KM's on some 4runner sr5 wheels. I think itll loook sweet on those pizza cutters.

Attachments

• HAYW1447.JPG
    HAYW1447.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7365.JPG
    IMG_7365.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7366.JPG
    IMG_7366.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7367.JPG
    IMG_7367.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7368.JPG
    IMG_7368.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7371.JPG
    IMG_7371.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 14

honda250xtitan

productive weekend.

all my electrical showed up as well. so this week after work i might get going on that. noco battery tender, main circuit breaker, fuse panel, switch panel, and snazzy 4usb and 1 12 volt plug setup. I love blue sea systems parts.

Attachments

• IMG_7386.JPG
    IMG_7386.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7387.JPG
    IMG_7387.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7388.JPG
    IMG_7388.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7389.JPG
    IMG_7389.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7390.JPG
    IMG_7390.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7391.JPG
    IMG_7391.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 16

honda250xtitan

Is the plan now to throw an RTT on top instead of a sleep inside camper?

yea thats the plan now. we already have a great sleeping setup in the 4runner but if we wanna take the kids with us, the RTT will be next. Might risk it on a cheap $800 one.

funny tho....remove all the gear throw a mattress down, you could sleep in the main box of the trailer.

OutdoorAZ

Its funny, I'm going the other way.

Going to be taking my RTT off my trailer here fairly soon and tearing apart the trailer to enclose it.

honda250xtitan

tongue box is mostly finished up welding, and the draw bar with the 45's are welded as well. going to use .25 plate at the intersections for extra reinforcement. had some time while it was raining yesterday to get the wiring harnesses all made and in some split loom. i'm at the point where i need to flip the frame, finish welding it, get the water tank frame made up and then start sheeting it and wiring it. so basically the fun part is over lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears