Back to the Basics: Series Rover Coolant Temps

LR Max

Local Oaf
Good morning,

Long story short, I now have a more accurate way of reading my coolant temp. Instead of a general guess, I'm getting a number from a new sensor, etc.

Last night I took the truck out. Old sensor is reading about where I needs to be (as other series owners know, its just kinda a general...out there in the range). New sensor is reading 180F. That said, I ran at about 8pm and ambient temp was high 80s. Pretty tame conditions.

In terms of actual temp numbers, what would be acceptable? I could see the temp possibly climbing to 200F in extreme situations. Is that going to be alright? What would you consider to be a "shut down" temp?

Also just to put this out there, my cooling system is in top notch. New water pump, 4 core radiator installed, 160F T-stat, good hoses, no blockages, plenty of fluid, etc.

I ask because I live in the south and it gets hot. I have overheated the engine in the past and that is a bad time.

Thanks guys!

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Hey Max - The 2.25 is not known as being a "fragile" engine with regards to overheat/coolant temps. It's iron block/iron head will be somewhat resilient to "thermal abuse".

As far as coolant temps go - 200F in extreme situations is completely acceptable (and actually on the cool side as far as most engines go).

I have some reservations about "cold" thermostats like the 160F you are using. I usually find they are an attempt to mask other cooling system problems. (they can also prohibit the cooling system from working properly, by incorrectly metering the flow of coolant through the radiator under certain conditions)

Holy crap. 100 people looked at this...and no one knows!!??

I'm doomed.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I've got the 160F T-stat because I live in the south. This summer and last summer are the first time it hasn't been stupid hot. In 2011 I was coming back from Alabama. Ambient was 106. Just a bit on the warm side.

I'll be monitoring temps but I've got a good feel of where my stock gauge leaves me in terms of actual degrees. What temp would you say is redline, and I need to shut down?

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I wouldn't take it much past 220*.

(Assuming you have a 50/50 mix of antifreeze/water, boiling point is going to be at about 265* with a 15lb radiator cap)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman