Back to the Jungle - NLX in Guatemala & Belize

NoLimitX

Sponsors
The Expedition has begun. A crew of 8 people and 2 Land Rover Defenders with tons of kit have taken off into the Peten Jungle in Northern Guatemala. The adventure began yesterday at a remote jungle lodge accessible only by boat or a NLX Defender. We enjoyed a wonderful dinner in the palapa overlooking the lake while discussing the coming adventures.

Today after vehicle/safety orientation everyone loaded up and headed for Tikal Maya Ruins. The team will take turns driving as they make their way North beyond Tikal along a jungle track that gets less than 20 vehicles a year. Its only accessible in the dry season but will be challenging with the recent rain. The NLX team guided by James Brown & Graham Jackson will set up camp at a remote Mayan Ruin. Evening will be spent discussing the mystique of the surrounding jungle filled with history. More photos will be coming and the travel logue will be updated daily. Hope it inspires you!

No Limit Expeditions
http://www.NoLimitX.com

Attachments

• LakePeten.jpg
    LakePeten.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 54
  • NitunHotel.jpg
    NitunHotel.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 63
  • NitunPalapa.jpg
    NitunPalapa.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 45
  • DiningPalapa.jpg
    DiningPalapa.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

NoLimitX

Sponsors
Made it to Tikal now headed for Rio Azul and hopefully beyond if time permits. It has been very dry lately in the Peten until this week so the rain could add some excitement to the sticky clay track near Dos Lagunas. Will upload photos in a few days when the crew reaches a whole in the wall with internet.

Attachments

• TikalPhoto(ES).jpg
    TikalPhoto(ES).jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

NoLimitX

Sponsors
You have to drive your vehicles on this, right?
NLX provides the Land Rover Defenders and 1 guide in each vehicle that can offer driver training as needed. There are 4 people to a vehicle and they rotate driving in off road conditions. There are trips where you can tag along but most people choose to fly in to the destination - have fun driving the NLX Defenders and then - fly home. The trucks have roof top tents or jungle hammocks for each person to sleep in depending on what you prefer. All meals are prepared by a gourmet chef and a few hotels are included for refueling. Overlanding made easy without suffering.

Did Ben mention to you guys that we're coming down in late December? We'd love to touch base with you guys for a bit of ruin hunting, etc if you're going to be available.

Stay safe and keep the photos coming!

wc

Viggen

Just here...
Thats a bummer. I was hoping a drive your own vehicle might be possible. Looks like a fun trip.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Overlanding made easy without suffering.

Doesn't that kind of take a lot of the adventure out of it? For me the best experiences I have had driving in Latin America were when I had no idea what was coming around the next corner. Encountering challenges and overcoming them is part of what I thought overlanding was all about. Roughing it, eating whatever is available and having no plans at all for me is what keeps bringing me back...

Don't get me wrong, props to you for offering and doing what you do. I just think the experience of a guided overland trip in Latin America is going to be way way different than driving there yourself.

I see this the same way I see deep sea fishing guides, scuba diving excursions, or elk hunting guides. Yes, if one desires to execute all of the training, preparing, and purchases necessary to safely and effectively pull off an out-of-the-norm adventure, then of course, that's the "ultimate" or "real" way to do it. However, not everyone has that kind knowledge, ability, money, or desire, so for them, it might be a better alternative to have a guide service turn-key the trip.

In this world of overlanding--just as within the worlds of fishing, diving, and hunting--I think it's important to have options available for everyone. It ensures that the needs of everyone are met, and ultimately, allows more people to experience to glory of travel. Even if it looks different from your own experience.

NoLimitX

Sponsors
Easy was the wrong word! This was just a reference to being able to fly in and not worry about all the logistics that go into the pre-planning. This crew all have Defenders of there own so they have been particularly interested in the vehicle prep that is being done. All hands were helping change a UJoint yesterday before they could get back on track. Land Rovers - they get you there but need a little attention along the way.

Just got an update from the group and the they were very thankful to have the chainsaw. The route into the Peten had not been driven for at least 8 months and only 5 visitors have been reported in the past year. They had to clear at least 10 trees that had fallen on the track but it was worth the effort. The views from the top of the pyramid were breathtaking - ALL JUNGLE for as far as the eye could see. Will be updating more photos soon.

No Limit Expeditions

Attachments

• JungleView.jpg
    JungleView.jpg
    389.7 KB · Views: 58
  • MayaCamp.jpg
    MayaCamp.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 82

NoLimitX

Sponsors
Did Ben mention to you guys that we're coming down in late December? We'd love to touch base with you guys for a bit of ruin hunting, etc if you're going to be available.

Stay safe and keep the photos coming!

wc
We will be in Guatemala so stop by for a visit. Send PM for more detials.

gjackson

FRGS
The team is now at Pooks Hill in Belize and the first group has left for the airport for the trip back to the US. The Belize half of the trip was just as fun as Guatemala. We went down to Caracol and then camped at a Jaguar research station in the jungle and ran a trail out to the Monkey River. Eventhough we got a lot of rain the night before the track was pretty dry and we didn't have to break out the winches.

Ben had a full time job with the camera recording the action, so stay tuned for more pics when we get better connectivity.

cheers

How long did it take them to do the Tikal to Rio Azul route? What route did they take to Belize? Cross close to Rio Azul or south on the tracks from there? I can't wait to see all of Ben's photos!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior