Back-up camera recommendations for FWC Hawk Flatbed/ 2012 Ram 2500

Durango

Adventurer
Any thoughts on a camera for our flatbed Hawk? (We just used a stick-on fresnel lens on our slide-in Hawk's back door but that ain't gonna help us now!)

There is no bumper to worry about on the back, just a back wall of 1/8" aluminum about 12" high. And the camper is a (hopefully) permanent installation. The Ram doesn't have the big factory navigation screen to tie into. I've seen some cameras can use your rear view mirror for the screen and that would be fine with me since it is of no value with the camper on. In fact, it would be nice if it could be on while we drive to give a view out the back. Possible?

Finally, I was intrigued by the wireless ones. (I mean, who loves running wires?) But the reviews seem to say there are issues. Any advice would be much appreciated by Sioux who is tired of getting out in parking lots to guide me backing up!
20151011_131224.jpg20151020_175628.jpg

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Do you want something that will work with your dash display and is expandable for front and side cameras? Is this a DIY install or will you be doing it yourself?

Durango

Adventurer
Do you want something that will work with your dash display and is expandable for front and side cameras? Is this a DIY install or will you be doing it yourself?
I don't really have a dash display, Martyn. Just thinking to replace the rear view mirror with a display. And I can't imagine that side and front displays would be needed. I'd just be delighted with a back display that would work while driving forward.

Come to think of it since the Hawk is mounted permanently on the flat bed I guess I could go with a higher RV type of camera mounted higher on the camper. Whadya'all think about this option? :)

I'd probably run the wiring myself unless it gets too weird. There is a audio-video place here locally that has done some wiring for me and they seem pretty capable. I could use them. (I'm a decent cabinet-maker but I'll admit I hate screwing around with auto wiring.)

So I'd really like to have your recommendations, Martyn. And anyone else. I'm pretty much of a dunce when it comes to electronics.

Last edited:

austintaco

Explorer
I put one on my 03 Tacoma with a Flippac. For the cleanest install, I went with replacing the stereo with a Pioneer AVH-2600BT with a full screen. The camera was one from Amazon (made by esky, its 180 degree viewing, with night vision )but it is wired. The camera comes on when you put it in reverse, but the stereo also allows you to turn it on while driving. In addition, the stereo is now blue tooth enabled and I can make hands free calls. I did a bunch of wiring when I decided to put this in, so it was just one more project, but I have to say it was well worth it. I picked up comfort features and safety features at the same time. Total cost was about $250 for all.

Last edited:

brian90744

American Trekker
wireless back-up camera info

Check out Ebay, I got mine wireless unit for $75.00, because I tow a M416 trailer which is small . Instead of wiring to the back-up lights, I wired it to a positive so I can see behind me all the time (How my trailer is towing).

Durango

Adventurer
Thanks for the recommendations. Is anyone using a wireless system and if so is the quality/ reliability adequate?

austintaco

Explorer
For the pioneer AVH head units, there's a bypass made by a few people that you can install so that you can turn on the screen at anytime, even when the vehicle is moving. I think it was made for folks that wanted to watch a DVD while driving! However, with that bypass, I can make the camera my background or just have the camera on while driving and it acts as my rearview mirror.

Another option, and a simple one, is to get a wireless camera that uses your phone's screen as the monitor. I was going to go this route, but I opted for the head unit. The downside to these, besides being wireless, is that the camera does not come on automatically.

fredgoodsell

Adventurer
Thanks for the recommendations. Is anyone using a wireless system and if so is the quality/ reliability adequate?
I got a wireless one as a gift. Bolts to the rear license plate holes and came with a separate screen. I believe the same thing can be had with a rearview mirror included instead of the stand-alone screen. It's designed to wire into the reverse lights, so it powers on when put in reverse, but could easily be wired to a switch for anytime-you-want activation. The only time I've had reliability issues is when in heavily urban areas, the video signal transmits on the same freq as many wifi signals, which i assume is what is interfering. Still works, just flickers in and out quite a bit.

I think mine came from rearviewsafety.com, but I can't remember for sure. I bet the same thing can be had elsewhere for cheaper.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I'm wiring mine to a Pioneer head unit w/ a 7" screen, but instead of using the backup lights as a power and trigger for the head unit, I'm wiring in a switch. Any time the switch is thrown, the camera turns on, and the display on the radio will switch to the camera input. The camera are hit-or-miss from what I've read, but they're also the easiest piece to replace if their's issues as long as it's hard wired.

My dad and neighbor both have wireless units, and they are also hit and miss, with interference and a non-clear picture being frequent issues. Not saying you won't be able to find one that works well, but I feel that the hard wired options are more reliable.

Don

-

austintaco

Explorer
I'm wiring mine to a Pioneer head unit w/ a 7" screen, but instead of using the backup lights as a power and trigger for the head unit, I'm wiring in a switch. Any time the switch is thrown, the camera turns on, and the display on the radio will switch to the camera input. The camera are hit-or-miss from what I've read, but they're also the easiest piece to replace if their's issues as long as it's hard wired.

My dad and neighbor both have wireless units, and they are also hit and miss, with interference and a non-clear picture being frequent issues. Not saying you won't be able to find one that works well, but I feel that the hard wired options are more reliable.

Don

-
My initial plan was to have a switch as well, but I was surprised to see that the stereo itself had that feature built in. It was just another icon on the control screen. If I want, I can turn on the camera while driving and the screen will function like my rear view camera or if I want to check how the trailer connection looks. It's quite handy.

twblanset

Observer
I looked into some wireless ones before buying a wired one. There were a lot of comments about interference in the image and the image not always coming on or staying on. I eventually went with a wired one that mounts to the top of the license plate and has a swivel head.

Durango

Adventurer
Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I'll bite the bullet and go with a wired unit. (It helps that my Hawk is mounted permanently.) Will keep everyone posted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle