Back up/reverse light switching

yj4roks

Observer
I did a quick search (while at work) and didn't see anything. (did see a thread about what types of doobage people liked!) I have installed some LED lights on my custom camper (Callen/Baja style). I currently have them wired into the reverse light on my Dodge but I would like to add a switch inside the shell so I can use the lights while at camp. Any help or links to locations here or other sites would be great!
Not sure if adding a switch to the lights will do any sort of damage to the stock wiring? Or if nothing else, to keep the Dodge reverse lights from coming on when I flip the switch.
I'm not a great electrician here...

anickode

Adventurer
Feed an additional 12v line from the battery to the led lights with a switch, and install a diode between the reverse lights and the led lights. The LEDs will still function as additional reverse lights, but the factory battery sucking incandescent reverse lights will not come on with the switch. You can get a 4 pack of 6 amp 50v diodes at radio shack for 5 or 6 bucks.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Seconding the diode. Acts as a one-way gate to keep the other power source from backfeeding the stock backup lights.

brian90744

American Trekker
You could have one LED for back-up and wire the other LED with a switch as a cargo light. I don't think you need 2 LED back-up lights. Just FYI=brian

anickode

Adventurer
You could have one LED for back-up and wire the other LED with a switch as a cargo light. I don't think you need 2 LED back-up lights. Just FYI=brian

I've found it extremely handy having my rear utility LED lights come on with the reverse lights. THEY are aimed slightly out to the sides giving me near 180° illumination off the back of the truck. I can actually SEE What's behind me when backing in the dark, and it gets the attention of people in parking lots too... I can't count the number of times Ive nearly backed into some nincompoop who ran behind me with their shopping buggy when I was already halfway backed out of my parking space.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Switch the ground side, not the positive side. You could add in a dozen switches all over the place and they all act independently of each other. Not like switching on the positive side where you would need to add diodes etc to accomplish the same thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12