backpack suggestions

roamingaz

Explorer
I have been using a Camelbak maximum gear hawg as my all purpose pack. It has worked ok but really not very comfortable to wear fully loaded with water and gear. I dont want a really large backpack that is more suited for, well, backpacking. I am not in a SAR unit but I have thought about joining and I am thinking about getting wilderness first responder certified, so if I buy another pack I would like to be able to use it in those fields as well as my fishing/ hunting/everyday/survivalist pack if possable.
Anyway I have looked at so many different backpacks I need some helpful suggestions. Mainly I want a medium sized backpack that I can keep everyday gear in like first aid kit and survival items but I also would rather have a holder for Nalgene bottles instead of using a bladder( my own preference). I have been thinking of getting a pack large enough to carry a ultralight bivy and sleeping bag so I could do some overnight trips if I wanted.
So far the packs I have found and like are:

True-north SAR backpacks

Badlands 2800 or ultra daypack

Kelty redcloud

Elbelstock slingshot

Has anyone used any of these packs?

The packs that I do not like are

Camelback Motherload and BFM, both are very heavy packs and really don't carry very much gear for their size. Also they don't fit me well in the torso, I am 6'3"
Maxpedition Jumbo versipac- hard to get my hands in the small pockets otherwise very solid bag.

I use a Dakine Patroler pack for skiing. Its large enough to hold my avalanche gear (shovel, probe, beacon) a first aide/survival kit and a 1.5 litre hydration blader. I have also been know to stuff lunch and a few adult bevreages in their as well! It has mulitiple pockets for organization and is designed to carry skis externaly. Obviously you could hang other items off the back other than skis. Ski seasons only 4.5 months away:coffeedrink:

dnellans

Adventurer
I'm a bit of a pack junkie - having one for every "sport" i do plus 3 sizes for various actual backpacking trips... I won't even get into the number of packs I've bought and resold not being happy with them.

Two biggest things you need to decide on are how big (cubic inches), and if you want it to have a hip belt or not.

A decent rule of thumb is that you can fit 10 pounds of crap per 1000 cu in. You can certainly do more than that if you get stuck with food/water but if you've got a bag/tent/clothes/first aid - that is a good target. So try and figure out what you want to be able to fit then come up with a target size pack.

at 6' 3 you're definitely going to have some trouble finding a small or medium pack that fits with decent hip support, but thats the way the cookie crumbles.

roamingaz

Explorer
I'm a bit of a pack junkie - having one for every "sport" i do plus 3 sizes for various actual backpacking trips... I won't even get into the number of packs I've bought and resold not being happy with them.

Two biggest things you need to decide on are how big (cubic inches), and if you want it to have a hip belt or not.

A decent rule of thumb is that you can fit 10 pounds of crap per 1000 cu in. You can certainly do more than that if you get stuck with food/water but if you've got a bag/tent/clothes/first aid - that is a good target. So try and figure out what you want to be able to fit then come up with a target size pack.

at 6' 3 you're definitely going to have some trouble finding a small or medium pack that fits with decent hip support, but thats the way the cookie crumbles.

Thanks for the info :victory:
I have also bought and resold several packs because they dont fit right after loading them up. I have had a rough time finding a pack that fits a long torso, that is the main reason I want to upgrade from my Camelbak.
I do want a hip belt and so far the most comfortable pack I have tried on is the Badlands super daypack and the Kelty Redwing 3100.

fetus

Observer
I have way too many packs and too little time to use them, myself.

Have you taken a look at the Camelbak Trizip? Its a Mystery Ranch collaboration and has a pouch on the side for bottles (unsure if will fit Nalgene or Camelbak's bottle.)

I may get one, too. As an everyday type pack.

Bighead

Adventurer
Mystery Ranch Packs

My wife uses the Sweat Pea and I use the 3-Day Assault Pack for a day/overnight pack. Both are 2000 cu. in. packs...I have used several of the larger ones (both Mystery Ranch and Dana Design) and have never had a problem with any of them. Great riding packs.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I'm a buyer for a very large outdoor store. We sell packs from Osprey, Gregory, Arc'teryx, Kelty, Mountainsmith, Dueter, and The North Face. Osprey is our number one seller by a massive margin. The Kestrel series from Osprey is just awesome. I think the Kestrel 38 might be the most versitile pack in the line.

Kelty and Mountainsmith are almost too basic for my taste and the North Face packs....aye...don't get me started. My personal preference (after 12 years of using their entire line) are the Arc'teryx packs. I just picked up an Arro 22 as my new day hauler and that thing is Defender 110 tough.

I think your first question will be do you want the load on your shoulders or your hips? Anything beyond 15 pounds will want to be on your hips so a proper belt AND frame sheet or frame will be necessary. A proper belt with no support is stupid....enter the Kelty pack.

I'd say look into the Osprey Kestrel series. If you want to make this your last pack purchase of your life, buy an Arc'teryx pack. I used an Arc'teryx Bora 95 as my mountain guiding pack and that thing was so abused and mistreated it was shameful. 10 years later, it not only looks great, it carries great.

Last edited:

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
A couple ideas along the lines of the Mystery Ranch are the Eagle AIII Molle and the ATS RAID pack. I have the AIII and it is tough as nails. It comes with a waist belt. I'm 6'3", 215 and after hiking with it 5-6 miles either in heavy clothing at 10 degree or with a t-shirt at 90 degrees, it's near perfect. After 3 years of use, it looks new. The only thing I don't care for about it is there is no division in the pockets. Small things go to the bottom. To solve it I bought a TAD Gear admin pouch that keeps a bunch of little stuff and attachs to the outside of the AIII Molle. It has a pouch for a camelbak. It needs the stiffener they offer to work great.

The other, the RAID has a great following and if I could sell my AIII, I'd buy a RAID in a heartbeat. Eagle used to make it for ATS/Lightfighter, but now ATS takes care of mfging. It has more attachment options and has dividers. That's the key to me. These are both 1000D cordura packs.

DavidEllzey

Observer
Getting the absolute correct fit on a backpack is critical. I suggest becoming an REI member and purchasing it there. That way you can take it out on the trail and confirm it works for you. If not, you can take it back and try a different one.

My pack is an Osprey Atmos 65 - over 1,000 miles on it and nothing but praise for it. My wife uses the same pack, has the same mileage and loves hers too.

Dave

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Getting the absolute correct fit on a backpack is critical. I suggest becoming an REI member and purchasing it there.
Dave
OR....you could head down to your local small retailer and get it there. Not a better or worse option, just another option. Nothing wrong with supporting the local dealer! :)

indiedog

Adventurer
My input here may be totally useless as our product availability is different to yours. However here are my thoughts.

First determine the capacity range you need. If you are going to be in tight scrubby country you don't want anything hanging off your pack. It should all be inside so as not to get caught up. IMHO, anything above "daypack" size MUST have a good waist harness. A few hours of load on your shoulders will confirm this. Sounds to me like around 50 litres is what you want. (I think it's around 64ci to a litre) So the next and most important thing is the harness. If the store won't load the pack up for you and help you fit it correctly, then they aren't serious about selling packs. It's always impressive what you can learn from someone who knows their stuff in a good store.

One Planet are an aussie maker and the harness is the absolute best I have ever used. Lots of adjustment and shaped to fit. I've had the Strezlecki for several years and taken it from local hikes to Nepal and back and it's still like new. If they don't have them over there, just fly over here and pick one up!

James86004

Expedition Leader
Fascinating info here. I still use my 15 year old Mountainsmith Bugaboo. It is really comfortable for me, but it is pretty much a one compartment pack. The newer packs have definitely progressed in the load organization department. I went into a couple of stores looking at new ones, and if anything, selecting a pack has gotten way more complicated.

lamontagne

Adventurer
you could head down to your local small retailer and get it there. Not a better or worse option, just another option. Nothing wrong with supporting the local dealer!
I've driven to Prescott on multiple occations to buy things REI doesn't carry.

I'm a buyer for a very large outdoor store. We sell packs from Osprey, Gregory, Arc'teryx, Kelty, Mountainsmith, Dueter, and The North Face.

My personal preference (after 12 years of using their entire line) are the Arc'teryx packs. I just picked up an Arro 22 as my new day hauler and that thing is Defender 110 tough.

If you work at/for the store I'm thinking of, why dont you stock more Arc'teryx packs? It took me forever to find a Bora 65 (mens, medium) and I am looking for a daypack now too because I love that pack so much.

To the OP, have you tried on an Arc'teryx?

If you do, you wont look back!

zukrider

Explorer
gregory z series. 35 or 55 are good packs. i have recently been eyeing the noth face terra 60 as well. good luck in the search, but, if you find one you love, buy 2 cause youll never find it again.

$.02

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears