Bagged Mt Elbert 14,433'

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Rewind to last June 2006, I attempted Elbert and was denied. :smilies27 I had a heel injury in my right heel, was in poor shape, and had just hiked 8 miles the day before at Great Sand Dunes, so about half way up Elbert, I called it quits....

Now to July 28th 2007, I'm 20 pounds lighter than last year at this time, my foot is better, and I've been annoyed for a year that I didn't bag the peak last year.

I left the North Elbert Trailhead at 6:30 am and was on the peak at 10:45 am. The trail is 4.5 miles one-way to the top gaining 4700 feet in elevation. Not bad for a big man. :beer:

The view from the top was all clouds, but still cool. About half way down the clouds broke enough for a few photos. The atmosphere at the top was wild. One group of hikers were all wearing pointy birthday hats eating cake that someone humped up the mountian and another group was grilling burgers on their backpacking stove. All of this in a brisk 30 degree wind inside a cloud. :Wow1:

Took me three hours to get down to the truck and I was so tired, wet, and cold, I just opted to go home instead of camping another night. I beat the mountain, but it beat me too, I'm still sore and limping 2 days later. :eek:

Couple of photos.

Bergger

Explorer
Congratulations! My wife and I just climbed Mount Bierstadt today. Our first Fourteener! We are hooked and already planning our next trip.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Cool pics. I climbed Mt Whitney a month ago, quite the challenge gettin up there to 14K.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Great job getting to 14k! :clapsmile :26_7_2: :luxhello:

Being sore just means that you chose a great challenge rather than an easy one. Hike more often if you can, adjust the mix of clothing if necessary (breathable synthetics) and next time you'll bag it even faster and in more comfort. Also watch how much you carry and how heavy your footwear is. Drink plenty of water before and during the hike too.

I'm heading to Washington's North Cascades this weekend for a bunch of day hikes but none of the peaks match yours for altitude.

gearguywb

Explorer
Congrats!!! We did Elbert a year ago, great day! What a difference the altitude makes on the weather. When we started it was mid 60's, at the top it was VERY windy and snowing.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
neliconcept said:
nice, i climbed longs peak, its about 7 miles

i may have to do elbert sometime.

When I lived in Colorado I had the 14'er bug in a bad way and Longs was a personal favorite. I think it's definately longer than 7 miles via the Keyhole route. The Cable Route is a classic favorite that I've done several times but the real thrill is Keaners (sp?). Just short of a Diamond route, Keaners really has some mega exposure. That's the real deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan