Baja Designs vs KC Highlites?

Sendit6.5

I’m looking at light bars and ditch lights and I’m a little torn between BD and KC - mainly because there’s a 2-3 month wait on BD lights, whereas KC lights are generally available. Just curious what the general consensus is on which brand is better? Are the BD definitely worth the wait?

I ordered an UpTopOverland Alpha roof rack and it has cutouts that are specifically designed around the Baja Designs lights. I’m very interested in the linkable LP4 lights from BD but KC has been around a long time and I’m sure they’re still good quality. They do look larger, relative to the BD competitor, though; and I do prefer a more subtle look. Still, I’d be willing to go with KC if the consensus is that the quality is just just as good.

Thanks to all who reply!

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I'll second the Diode Dynamics. They're a great company. I have their bulbs in my headlights and I just picked up a pair of their S5 lights for a good price from a local EP member and I also have some of their lights in my fog light location. Not sure where I'm putting the S5s yet.

I have BD XL Pros in my "ditch location". I went with BD because I think the style of their housing is very sexy and they are heavy duty.

In the end, you cant go wrong with any of the big names. They're all great. Just depends on the look you want.

Sendit6.5

I'll second the Diode Dynamics. They're a great company. I have their bulbs in my headlights and I just picked up a pair of their S5 lights for a good price from a local EP member and I also have some of their lights in my fog light location. Not sure where I'm putting the S5s yet.

I have BD XL Pros in my "ditch location". I went with BD because I think the style of their housing is very sexy and they are heavy duty.

In the end, you cant go wrong with any of the big names. They're all great. Just depends on the look you want.

I will check them out. Thanks!

I have heard the name and people speaking well of them. My main fixation on the BD has been the result of UpTopOverland offering custom cutouts for BD lights. So I thought that it’d make for a slicker look; but I’m starting to think I ought not worry about that. ?

Thanks again for the suggestion. ??

Explorerinil

Observer
I bought some BD Designs lights from 8 lug truck gear, I had them in about 1 week. I’m very impressed with them and their customer service. I’m on a few forums and I have not heard of any recent delays with BD lights. I can’t speak for the KC’S but BD has some serious quality and excellent light output and light clarity. I got the squadron pro in wide cornering pattern.

Sendit6.5

I bought some BD Designs lights from 8 lug truck gear, I had them in about 1 week. I’m very impressed with them and their customer service. I’m on a few forums and I have not heard of any recent delays with BD lights. I can’t speak for the KC’S but BD has some serious quality and excellent light output and light clarity. I got the squadron pro in wide cornering pattern.

I’ll check out “8 lug truck gear.” Maybe they have some units in stock but the Baja Designs website says, “there’s an average of 8 weeks delay shipping units due to the ongoing chip shortage.” Every dealer I’ve spoken with says their orders ship from the manufacturer and that delays are as much as 12 weeks - that’s what THEY are seeing. Even UpTopOverland, who’s rack I’m ordering, told me to expect a 12 week delay on BD lights

I have owned both over the years, it's a chevy vs ford kinda thing. I am running XL racer and XL Pro lights now and have for the last 4 or 5 years. I went with BD because they designed a better collimated reflectors, it basically get more light down range. They have come out with many good products and I do covet some of them. Most of the other lighting companies use a generic reflector there fore less light down range. I would wait for the product to come in. Baja Designs are the best light that I have owned. I also used Ridge, KC and been happy, but I'll be buying BD from here on out, get the covers too.

Explorerinil

Observer
I’ll check out “8 lug truck gear.” Maybe they have some units in stock but the Baja Designs website says, “there’s an average of 8 weeks delay shipping units due to the ongoing chip shortage.” Every dealer I’ve spoken with says their orders ship from the manufacturer and that delays are as much as 12 weeks - that’s what THEY are seeing. Even UpTopOverland, who’s rack I’m ordering, told me to expect a 12 week delay on BD lights
I ordered and received mine last month, maby something has changed since then.

blacklbzbeauty

Cannot comment on the KC or Diode Dynamics as I have not owned or used them. Have heard very good things about both companies.
I have a pair of LP9 BD lights on the front bull bar and they are very much next level over what I have had in the past.

Sendit6.5

I ordered and received mine last month, maby something has changed since then.

I’m going to call them tomorrow. I really appreciate the head’s-up! I talked with BD and they said they do have some retailers who have standing orders so that they can try to maintain a constant stock. So, fingers crossed ?that they’ll have the OnX6 Arced 40” bar in stock. I’ve decided that it’s the one I want. Pricey but it’ll be very subtle looking (in the daylight) in the rack I’m getting and it puts out an incredible amount (39,200 lumens) of light. Hopefully they will have it in stock but there are some being sold on EBay and BD said they haven’t had any problems with counterfeits on eBay; and they said they have a bunch of dealers who sell their lights on eBay.

Thanks again for the tip!

Betarocker

Adventurer
I have a pair of each BD LP6 and LP9. Both sets have amber combo lenses. Saying they're bright is an understatement.

lugueto

Adventurer
I've used KC lights for the past 12 years. From halogen, HID to LED. Their products are great, they're super bright and have stood up to some serious abuse.

I recently had the chance to experience their customer service and warranty and have to say I'm super pleased. They replaced a set of discontinued lights for brand new 6inch round LED Slimlites. Awesome.

I've been looking at Baja Designs for a long time now, as well as ARB Intensity's I've been looking at them because they offer a lot of light for just a pair of lights, I don't like the LED bar aesthetic or complication. I think KC's bars would be awesome but I prefer having a couple lights on the bumper and that's it.

I wish KC made a pair of 8 inch round LED lights, I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

paranoid56

Adventurer
I would go with either BD or DD. We switched from BD to DD on our race buggy and its stupid bright.
You cant go wrong with either.

I ordered my first set of BD lights straight from them. About 7 week wait. Rest of BD lights I ordered through dealers who had them in stock. Had them in less than a week. SDHQ was a good one as was 8 lug truck gear. I’m sure there are others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger