Balancing Beadlock Wheels

TM-F250-7.3

Hey guys looking for help! I recently bought a set of beadlock wheels and Im having balancing issues. They are new 17" wheels with PVC insert run flats with new 35x 12.5 toyo at 3's. Before I installed the wheels I did research for balancing and decided to go with balancing beads, 12 oz per tire per websites recommendation for tire size. I got my truck aligned right after I put the wheels on my truck. Right away I was getting shaking at 40 mph and 65+ mph. My truck never shaked before the new wheels and tires, Im guessing my steering and suspension isn't the issue.

I took my truck to a local tire shop to get balanced, they said they couldn't balance them due to the beads inside. So I took the wheels apart and vacuumed the beads out. I took it back to the same shop and they said they still can't balance them. The weird thing is they drive better now... but I know the tires will get shredded in no time if they aren't balanced.

Im going to contact the wheel manufacturer monday but figured I'd ask for help here as well.

Info about my truck, 2000 F250 7.3 diesel 4x4. I have a four wheel camping and Im building my truck as a baja surf truck for driving on the beach, hence beadlocks and runflats for airing way down on the sand. But my truck will see a lot of driving on the road, so I need smooth ride for long trips.

Thanks

wADVr

Adventurer
Who made the wheels? It’s been several years but a few companies making these had terrible quality control and could never run true and balanced. You mention PVC run flats, is this a true run flat or just the pipe to lock both beads tight in the wheel?
as for finding a shop to balance Bead lock wheels, you just need to find the right shop, Discount tire always balances mine they just won’t install or remove tires on them but Les Schwab won’t touch any of it.

Johnston

Observer
I tried balance beads and I wasn't happy with them and ended up removing them (what a pain). I just took mine to a local 4x4 shop and they balanced them the old way and am happy.

Most shops won’t touch beadlocks or split wheel. Since it’s not DOT approved
My beadlocks are DOT approved. But the shop would have done them either way.

TM-F250-7.3

Who made the wheels? It’s been several years but a few companies making these had terrible quality control and could never run true and balanced. You mention PVC run flats, is this a true run flat or just the pipe to lock both beads tight in the wheel?
as for finding a shop to balance Bead lock wheels, you just need to find the right shop, Discount tire always balances mine they just won’t install or remove tires on them but Les Schwab won’t touch any of it.

Trail worthy fab made them. It’s the pvc pipe. It was described as a run flat. The problem with the local shop was they tired to balance them before they were real beadlocks. They said it gunna need a lot of weights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know what all the imbalance issues are with all of your assemblies but:
I can attest that Hutchinson 20x10”wheels, Hutchinson rubber beadlocks and 395/85R20 Michelin XZLs require no balancing whatsoever. All 5 of them. So something, either tires or wheels, is significantly out of round in your situations.
If the wheels aren’t Hutchinsons but rather aftermarket, I suspect the wheels.

wADVr

Adventurer
Trail worthy fab made them. It’s the pvc pipe. It was described as a run flat. The problem with the local shop was they tired to balance them before they were real beadlocks. They said it gunna need a lot of weights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sorry I misunderstood the shops balancing them.

this style wheel is notorious for balancing issues and running true.

Just curious if anyone figured those out? I am having a similar issue with a bead lock wheel with the Pcv insert. Curious if I need more balance beads. I put in 14 oz and still get wobble at 40 to 50mph

KSM garage

my vote is for centramatic balancers, i run them on my 98 ram 2500 and 2006 ram 3500 both with 37's and both trucks have zero wheels weights installed. i can run 75+mph with zero vibration and regularly take them on road trips with zero funny tire wear.

spot

I balanced the Hutchinsons with 35” Goodyear dura tracs and they run great. Most shops don’t want to do it because it’s hard on the machine. Spinning 125 plus pounds will burn burn the motor up is they don’t know how to set the machine up.

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
I ran 36" bias ply HMMWV tires and rims on a CJ5, used 16oz of airsoft bbs in each tire. I could run 65 with no issues... it wasn't really geared to go much faster than that.

Only down side is they made a little bit of noise when going very slow.

0409 009 by Tim, on Flickr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12