Balancing beads question

glennm01

Quick one for those of you running balancing beads with 37's on super singles -- how many ounces of beads have you found to be sufficient?

Aussie Iron

Explorer
1 oz per 10 lbs of tyre or part there of. So 72lb tyre gets 8 ozs. Don't skimp on them but going stupid won't help either.
I use stainless beads and change them from tyre to tyre when doing tyre change. Porcelain beads do grind them selves down from rubbing on them selves and tyre sand sort of does the same. Then when you air down and up and introduce moister from airing up some times the paste clumps up till it breaks back down.

Dan.

glennm01

Interesting. The info from Counteract (a mfr. of beads) reccomends 12 oz. for 37" mud terrains. I was still getting a shimmy though, so I added 3 oz. to each, which seemed to help. Still not great though. I wonder if having too much could be the problem, or maybe I just need to give up on beads and go with weights.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
What size beads (diameter) do you use Dan?
Do you have a preferred brand?
The beads are actually different sizes in the packet and not all really round. Average about 3mm in size. Of the top of my head can't remember the brand I used but they are poor quality stainless because I use a magnet to collect them out of the old tyre to put into the new ones. Don't see any rust on them though from introduced moister from airing up.
I've allways used 1oz per 10lb of tyre and never had any problems. Using stainless beads you have less volume of beads in the tyre.
!! Maybe the volume of beads ( ceramic or tyre sand) can't settle properly in the correct position of the tyre. !!

Dan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior