bang for my buck IFS kits

TOI

Web Adventurer
im looking around for an IFS lift for my 86' 4runner. and im having problems finding kits less then $1500. i could use some help..

-Ian

BLKNBLU

Explorer
How much lift are you looking for? More importantly, what are you hoping to accomplish with the lift?

Mike

TOI

Web Adventurer
around 2-4", long travel would be cool but that would bust my budget bubble. hmm ground clearance, travel, all that good stuff.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
1st thing 1st, personaly, I don't care for sub-frame lifts (skyjacker, rough country etc...) so my sugestions hinge on that fact: And YES, CV's will definatly be an issue when you go over a certain amount of lift without dropping the front diff some (there are spacers out there to do this fairly easily).

Get ahold of TRDparts4u.com or Roger Brown and get BJ spacers. Then get some OME rear springs and you'll have about 2-3" of lift (I barely adjusted my T-bars for another .5" of lift up front) and the rear OME springs have setteld to about 2.75" of lift overall compared to the old stock springs and they ride great.

Another option if you're so inclined is to fab up some longer sring mounts and run some longer Chevy 63" springs. Clearly this is alot more involved eh.

These trucks have alot of ground clearence and fenderwell clearence as you well know and I'm running 33/10.50's with NO fenderwell/pinch-weld mods done. I also highly suggest you put a truss @ the back of the lower A-arm mounts on these older trucks. It pretty much makes them about as tough as you can withouth completely re-building the IFS system. Oh and an Idler arm brace too, I have both of these sitting in my garage and I just need to get to work now that I'm all healed up.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:
i'm running a 3" body lift w/ 255/85 and don't rub. i don't know what size tires your looking for, but no suspension lift may be an option.

apologies for the hijack but, where did you get the rear truss you speak of Dave?

TOI

Web Adventurer
im not a fan of body lifts. im starting to think i should just save up and get the totalchaos bal joint caddy kit.

BLKNBLU

Explorer
im starting to think i should just save up and get the totalchaos bal joint caddy kit.
That might be your best bet. I did the whole ball joint spacer thing with mine, and honestly, I wouldn't do it again. Don't get me wrong. The parts were of good quality and worked as advertised but in the end all the new travel is droop travel. Frankly, droop travel isn't very useful. The hanging tire isn't doing you any good in a 4 wheeling situation anyways. If it is hanging 2 inches off the ground or 1/2 inch off the ground is really irrelevant.

Of course me being me, the BJ spacers purchased in a group buy bargain at $88 led to a much larger project. You know, "as long as I'm in there" might as well get new ball joints, and tie rod ends, and control arm bushings, and shocks, and a steering dampener, and a rear truss, and an idler arm truss, and rebuild the idler arm... Turned into a several hundred dollar project and while it worked OK, I don't think in hindsight it was worth the time, money, or effort. You can get 33's in there as is if you desire which will do more for ground clearance than anything else but will likely make you desire a regear of the diffs. If I had it to do over again I'd stick with 31's and get locked and armored. Rear locker has been by far the best mod I've ever done.

I had a Downey rear truss but they are now out of business. Sonoran Steel makes a beauty that was not available yet when I got my Downey, otherwise that is what I would have had. I don't know if anyone else is making them now with Downey out of the game. My Downey ended up looking like this but Sonorans is much beefier. Still, it did it's job.

ckblum

Sorry for bumping an older thread. I am gonna start building my 1990 Pickup when I get more money, 1.5 BJ spacers was gonna be one of the first things I was gonna do. I thought they give another 1.5" of compression travel?

If you wanna go with Total Chaos I recommend going over to race-dezert.com or dezertrangers.com. I also suggest sticking to the classifieds on dezertrangers.com, that place is a gong show. There's usually quite a bit of Toyota stuff for sale on there and being desert guys, it's usually IFS performance stuff.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Ball joint spacers and the dropped diff are by far the best bang for buck with slightly better/longer shocks. The thicker torsion arms don't do much and I would only recommend it if you are planning to keep your IFS forever. The weakness of IFS is mostly the steering components so if you can update this then you can get a solid decent suspension for most stuff related to what we are doing (overlanding with some technical stuff rarely).

This said I am finally cutting off my IFS and installing a solid axle axle but this time with radius arms and coils. I think this is an excellent way to go personally...

I hope it helps...

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
I just came across this the other day:

Bolt/Weld Long Travel IFS

It looks like a viable alternative to either a lift with drop brackets or the more expensive Total Chaos long travel kit. Go to your favorite Toyota forum and do a search for Blazeland to see some of the current discussion about it.

All in all, I would be interested in doing a weld it myself kit if I had a toyota that was going to be staying with the IFS.

Mike

dlbrunner

Adventurer
Anyone looked into swapping in a t100 setup? I know for the total chaos setup, you use t100 axles. I also know the front diff is the same between pickups/4runners and T-100. Leads me to believe the t100 arms would be longer?

I have yet to get under a T-100 and measure, the only pitfall could be if the t100 frame is wider...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger