Bantam T3-C Build

Keep the pics coming. I like that look and started out like that too but changed my lid slightly at the last minute. I need to do something like you did in front and behind my fenders. I live in an area with a lot of trees. They will help guide the trailer around and the tire will do the rest. A friend has a 416 set up like yours with the widened axle. The tires beyond the fenders can make a mess but trail damage is unlikely.

ApexWrangler

First off let me say what an awesome job you've done! Your trailer looks great and I'm definitely going to have to borrow a few of your design ideas for my T3-C. I love the idea of the extendable tongue with the 3-axis hitch. I have all the required pieces for that hitch already, just have to get them welded up. I also really like the idea of removing the hitch / landing leg assembly and extending the tongue back to the first cross member. Initially I thought about doing something similar to what Robert Bills did to his trailer, basically adding the front hitch receiver, in a way that didn't permanently alter the trailer like this:

HPIM0136.JPG

But after seeing yours, I think I like that idea more.

I had a couple questions and requests. How did you attach the angle "frame" to the top edge of the trailer? I had a similar idea and thought about attaching it to the inside stake pockets to make it removable. It looks like you either screwed it along the top edge or drilled holes and plug welded it maybe. Could you take a few pictures better showing how you did that?

Also, where did you get the latches you used for the tailgate? I've been toying with the idea to retrofit some latches and a handle from a pick-up truck tailgate, but I really like the look of the latches you used, and they look to be lockable as well.

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing more pictures of your trailer and where you take it!

parcours

Observer
Apex, thanks for the comments, really appreciate it.

It was a TON of work getting to this point. But in the end it turned out pretty good, I'm happy with it.

I wanted the ability to extend the tongue while still having a strong enough tongue to support the tool box/Jerry Cans: there's a lot of tongue weight with my setup. Attaching the hitch to the OEM landing leg assembly seemed OK, but, the strength is not there. I extended the hitch back to the main cross member and welded it to the structural frame of he trailer, kind of overkill, but it is an off road trailer:)

The latches I used are these Southco (Southco 62-43-251-3 Compression Lift & Turn Latch - Keyed): http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Southco-62-43-251-3-Compression-Lift-Turn-Latch-Keyed-/141450512155?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20ef1b871b

They work great and were easy to line up.

I used 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" x .125 angle for the upper frame and attached it with stainless 5/16" flat heads/Nylock nut with a grade 8 stainless washer. Nice clean look.

Frame_1_zpsba602287.jpg

Last edited:

parcours

Observer
AnyMore info on the paint

Oh Yeah...

It's a product called Aspartx. It's proprietary to Linex as a floor covering. Two part mix aliphatic polyurea that's really tough. I had the entire trailer sprayed with LineX, top bottom, everything, then we put on 4 coats of AspartX over the LineX. AspartX is only available at LineX and has to be applied by a dealer, you can't purchase for a DIY.

I will say, it's a great product, not cheap (what good things are) and is extremely durable finish that is very easy to match and patch if I scrape a tree or alike.

Last edited:

Plow

Nice Build, looks super sharp! Quick question: What length did you decide to go with for your tongue? From the front of the tub towards the tow vehicle (not including extension)? Thanks

parcours

Observer
So I finally got the road today. Tows really nice, freeway speeds, and stops great.

Finished up the basic wiring. Now I'll plan out the AC and DC systems, outlets, charger, etc.

Here are some pics of the wiring:

20141116_143416_zpszg8qpemc.jpg

20141116_143454_zpsrtnp5ljy.jpg

20141116_143439_zpsryr3yuyr.jpg

20141116_143432_zpsxfey1lwf.jpg

ApexWrangler

Looks great all hitched up! I've had my eye on that same tongue box for a while. I really like the idea of line-x'ing it, instead of depending on the cheap harbor freight powder coating.

Looks like you went with a standard trailer ball hitch. Did you make a second full length tongue? Also, where did you get the weld on trailer jacks?

parcours

Observer
Looks great all hitched up! I've had my eye on that same tongue box for a while. I really like the idea of line-x'ing it, instead of depending on the cheap harbor freight powder coating.

Looks like you went with a standard trailer ball hitch. Did you make a second full length tongue? Also, where did you get the weld on trailer jacks?

I agree, the cheap paint on the HF box won't last. I have their other wider tongue box on my car hauler and it looks pretty bad after only a year.

The best thing I did was LineX the entire trailer, top/bottom/sides, and all the smaller components on the trailer.... It basically encapsulated all the steel and I won't have to worry about rust, unless I rip or damage the LineX.

As far as the hitch, I made a standard 2" ball DOT rated hitch for towing on the street, if you look in my thread you'll see I made the jsherb 3 axis hitch. I added a 3' extension to the 3 axis hitch so I can extend the total length to 7' (that's why the 4' extended tongue). I'm planning to build a second 3 axis hitch but a twist to jsherb's design. Instead of welding the T using the 3/4" diameter tubing welded to the 5/8" tube, I'm going to have the piece that connects to the 1" grade 8 bolt (the T) machined from billet steel stock and thread/weld that to the rotational axis. I'll post some progress pics when I get to that.

The jacks are also from HF. I took their standard 2K lb tongue jacks and added 12" to the length using 1 3/4" .120 wall DOM tubing (jacks come with the weld-on tab). The trailer sits 27" from the ground to the jacking points. The HF tongue jacks only extended to 19 1/2"... A little short:eek:

In the mean time, I picked up a set of 35 x 1250 x 15 BFG Mud Terrains today. Going to throw those on this week... As if the trailer isn't tall enough with 32's:jumping:

I need to get going on changing out the gears on my '05 TJ... The reason I built this trailer. But with 4.10's and 35's, it's lost a little power for towing... Throw some 5.13 gears and I should be good to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman