Barlowrs Expedition Tacoma Build

Kevin Braun

Mountain Biker
If you walk fast enough with a shutter speed like you are using, no.
Trial and error...

fantastic truck btw. work of art?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I can't wait to see what kind of intricate interior flippac build you decide on.

popcorn2.gif
popcorn2.gif
popcorn2.gif

barlowrs

Explorer
Interior build well underway. Trying to get it together before I leave for Baja, problem is that means that i cannot do as much as I originally wanted. I guess this will be just "verson 1" which will be revised at a later date as I learn more about what I really want. My current interior build is VERY similar to Tacodocs haha.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Interior build well underway. Trying to get it together before I leave for Baja, problem is that means that i cannot do as much as I originally wanted. I guess this will be just "verson 1" which will be revised at a later date as I learn more about what I really want. My current interior build is VERY similar to Tacodocs haha.

Cool :lurk:

jeverich

Luddite
OBA

Was following your build over on TW. I'm impressed!

I'm planning on plumbing in a Puma compressor within the next few weeks; after a lot of research it seems to be the best CFM/$ ratio available (well, other than C02).

A few questions:

What did you use for airline? I'm looking at the 1/2" nylon air brake line, with Push Loc fittings. Also thinking about doing a short copper tube cooling loop on the first few feet of the pressure output from the compressor (do you think this is required?).

Don't have a HC rear bumper (yet)... Did you have any alternative mounting point before settling on the rear cubby? I'm weighing the merits of mounting it in my engine bay. Yes, I know that heat kills compressors, but for the amount of use that this will see I have to doubt that heat will play a major factor in longevity... Plus, the ARB compressors are mounted there all the time.

Any negatives about the compressor? I'm debating the need for an air drier/filter in my setup.

Thanks,
Jake

barlowrs

Explorer
I think i used 3/4" tubing, cannot remmeber. I am actually upgrading it all to -4 Stainless hard lines now. I used the flair type fittings. For teh output you definatly ned some kind of braded or copper tubing out of the compressor. I think i used a 6ft portion. I never really looked at other places to mount it, but the engine bay will be fine as long as you understand it could shorten the life (probably not even noticable). I love the compressor, it has served me well for several years now and is still going strong. make sure you get a water seperator as it seems to accumulate a lot of water in the system (any compressor does this).

jeverich

Luddite
Great, thanks for the advice.

I've debated the engine bay location - although, honestly for the amount of use this will get I don't think any negative effects will be noticeable)... I'm sure I'll be bugging you with install questions within the near future; I'll move over to your OBA thread as to avoid cluttering up this one.

Going to pretty much parallel your install as far as relay, etc. Want the ability to remotely operate the compressor from the cab, as well as a pressure switch. Going to plumb into a manifold to supply my rear ARB also, which will require a ~ 90 PSI regulated air source. This should be a little easier to work with, as I'll be sourcing solenoids from MAC Valves (which are NPT, not BPST thread)... Not flaming ARB in any way, it's just amazing the price difference in parts when you look elsewhere.

Thanks again,
Jake

badtoytrd

Mountain Lover
Well I am revising my whole interior (lots more to come in next few weeks), however, one thing that has always bugged me was the stupid hangers for the CB and HAM handset, I always thought they were hideous, so I decided to change it up. A friend of mine (4RunAmok on Expeditionportal.com) had a great idea of using magnets to hold the comm handsets, so I got to be the guninie pig, and sure enough they work amazing! (I beat the crap out of her on the trail and they hold on tight).

It’s a very simple mod, Just get some rare earth magnets (common these days) and mount them wherever you want your handsets. I mounted mine behind the lower center panel.

2012-09-01085908.jpg

Then just change out the back clip on the handset to a magnet of the opposite pole, and viola, completely hidden magnetic mounts:
2012-09-01090018.jpg

2012-09-01085931.jpg

Love the 2012 lower trim. Can't wait to install mine.

PGA

Your truck looks great. I was wondering if the tires rub with the OME suspension. I have a 2012 Double cab LB. I just put on the OME suspension and about to put the same tires on. The new suspension give me about 2.5 inches of lift.

thanks in advance.

Paul

barlowrs

Explorer
Your truck looks great. I was wondering if the tires rub with the OME suspension. I have a 2012 Double cab LB. I just put on the OME suspension and about to put the same tires on. The new suspension give me about 2.5 inches of lift.

thanks in advance.

Paul

Hey Paul, I just shot you a PM, but figured I would answer here incase anyone else has the same question:

Hey Paul,

No, the tires really do not rub, the ONLY rubbing I see is at FULL lock (right or left), the inside of the tire rubs slightly on the frame near the rear. Not enough to catch the tire nobs or cause issues, just enough to give the frame a nice polish. One thing to consider if you have not is to make sure you get the overload leaf. Even with it my rear is starting to sag a bit (though in OME defense, they are 4-5 yrs old and have been used a LOT in their time)

tomesd

Observer
I haven't been on here for a while- just wanted to tell you how great your rug looks! It has came together nice-great job!

APolinko

Hey barlowrs,
Just wondering what kind of mount your using for your antenna on the front and rear bumpers. Curious if you could send me some pics. (I like the look of running a dual band on the side of the ARB like that).

Wainiha

Explorer
I just put a pic of your truck on the background of my computer screen. The one with the red lights and the flip pac open.

Good inspiration!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan