Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

akpostal

Adventurer
Took a better pic of the tire on the side, could probably do a 35" or 37", but this is a 33".

20645450_745791312285868_6233567781585666797_o.jpg

Scherb's window adapter, a metal plate instead of glass, and a way to tie the inside to the sport bar and tub, and in my case a way to tie into the Rhino Rack. I just dont have the fabrication skills.

For me a side mount would would work better the then roof with my back issues. Ild like to see what Scherb could come up with, but Ill throw this idea at my neighbor when he gets back down here. Plus my boat and monoskis go up on top. depending on the season.

Or maybe this is just a bad idea, but I just dont want the spare on the backside.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Up until now I've been using junkyard CJ-7 side marker lights, but with the fenders painted and final the lenses have been looking a little tired, so today I replaced the junkyard lenses with new Crown replacements.

NewMarkerLights_zpsrhfohvod.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Nice update!
A nice touch would be to use oval head screws, which would give it that "oh so OEM" look. :)

I have some factory screws but they're too short to go all the way through the fiberglass, they're only long enough for sheet metal. Maybe I'll get some longer oval head screws someday, but it's not a priority, I've got several other projects underway now that the fenders are done.

JDaPP

Adventurer
I've posted several times about a factory hardtop window retrofit kit without a window hole but there doesn't seem to be too much interest in the idea.

BlankRetrofitKit1_zps9cwd0ywc.jpg

I have interest. I have rebels rotopax window mount. I like it but can't afford to do it again. This would be perfect

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Today I was working on the mounts for the Garvin Wilderness Rack I found last week on Craigslist and in the process was thinking about access to cargo in the rack. I probably won't do this because I can stand on the tire and reach everything I need to in the rack, but I did design the fenders to be strong enough to serve as steps. To avoid scratching the finish, a diamond plate step could be made and attached with double-sided automotive tape as per this drawing.

RearSteps_zps143tzvv3.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I got a question in a PM about mounting a Cherokee roof rack on the factory JK hardtop and supporting it to the roll bar like I did in the Safari Cab. I've posted photos of my Safari Cab roll bar brackets earlier in this thread, but they won't work with the factory hardtop because they're designed for the extra clearance of the higher Safari Cab roof. They're also designed to support the rack tracks on closer centers than the stock Cherokee rack centers because on the Safari Cab I narrowed the rack to install the tracks inboard of the Alpine windows. I recommended that he check out the instructions for the Teraflex Nebo roof rack, which includes roll bar brackets that work with the factory hardtop - those brackets will be closer to what is needed than my Safari Cab brackets. The Nebo instructions are available online, I found them at the Quadratec web site.

FlatFendersFinal1_zpsjon5tctn.jpg

RTTandKitchen5_zps4wckdihc.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Today I was working on the mounts for the Garvin Wilderness Rack I found last week on Craigslist and in the process was thinking about access to cargo in the rack. I probably won't do this because I can stand on the tire and reach everything I need to in the rack, but I did design the fenders to be strong enough to serve as steps. To avoid scratching the finish, a diamond plate step could be made and attached with double-sided automotive tape as per this drawing.

RearSteps_zps143tzvv3.jpg

Spray a bit of the 3M paint defender on the tub right above the plate to keep from damaging the paint, and that is a very cool idea. :victory:
I haven't tried the 3M Paint Defender yet, but I've got a couple of projects coming where it will get used. Looking forward to seeing how well it works.
http://3mauto.com/products/paint-defender/FAQ/

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've been thinking about an "annex/changing room" for the roof-top tent. In this image I cut/pasted a commercial annex onto a photo of the RTT on the JK Safari:

ChangingRoom_zpswleatjmy.jpg

Something like this could serve both as a changing room and an all-weather enclosure for the kitchen.

There is one available for my RTT, it's about $125: https://www.mombasaoutdoor.com/changing-rooms/8004. I could just buy one of those, but I'm posting this to get input from those of you who have more experience with things like this than I do - what features would you put in an annex/changing room? If you've got useful features that commercial ones don't have I could sew my own and end up with something more functional, less expensive and probably better quality.

If I do the project, I'll post step-by-step construction and sewing details.

Any ideas?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
* All 4 sides roll up, and bug screens zip/velcro in place, is something I haven't seen. Would be excellent for a nice cross flow breeze on a warm summer day.
* Awning over the front door, for rainy days, where it would be nice to leave the wet outside.
* Roll up plastic windows, for light, when raining.
* Roll up LED light strips with quick connectors. or maybe just LED light strips around the base of the tent floor.
* heat resistant panel for catalytic heater venting.

And my two favorite stand-byes... ;)
* Cup holders
* A built in step to somewhere :elkgrin:

For the Misses;
a pouch under the windows, to stuff with faux flowers (making "flower boxes").

rubicon91

Explorer
The only issue and why I don't have one is use meaning my buddy for instance who has one only puts it on when his wife goes camping with us lol. He doesn't care to use it when it's just him. If you are stationary for a few days maybe. I would rather have the awning room attachment instead like what arb makes for there's. Like this.
cbdc1b60e0246275614ec8b8c9806472.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

jscherb

Expedition Leader
* All 4 sides roll up, and bug screens zip/velcro in place, is something I haven't seen. Would be excellent for a nice cross flow breeze on a warm summer day.
* Awning over the front door, for rainy days, where it would be nice to leave the wet outside.
* Roll up plastic windows, for light, when raining.
* Roll up LED light strips with quick connectors. or maybe just LED light strips around the base of the tent floor.
* heat resistant panel for catalytic heater venting.

And my two favorite stand-byes... ;)
* Cup holders
* A built in step to somewhere :elkgrin:

For the Misses;
a pouch under the windows, to stuff with faux flowers (making "flower boxes").

Scott,

Thanks, discounting your standard cup holder and step features, there are some good ideas in there... :)

- Making the sides roll up would be easy and as far as I know, at least the Mombasa unit for my tent doesn't have that feature. Do RTT annexes/changing rooms from other RTT companies have roll-up sides? Roll-up sides would make it easier to store and deploy, each side would be rolled up and then disconnected from the RTT for storage. Or, thinking about it a bit more, I'll bet I could make the roll up sides in a way that they could stay attached to the RTT when the RTT was folded up - they'd be under the RTT's Travel Cover when it was packed up for travel. BTW the Mombasa has only 3 sides, the fourth side is the Jeep.

- Awning. Not sure what the "front door" is; the Mombasa seems to split at the corner and near the ladder to provide entrance. But adding an awning over that would be pretty easy, it could be done with the same type of metal prop rods that the tent uses to hold the side awnings in place.

- Windows - I was thinking the windows would have zip open screens on the inside and zip open solid panels on the outside, just like the windows/door of the tent. Since it would be used for changing, I think you would want the solid panel. Would you suggest three panels - solid/clear/screen, all zipping and rolling independently?

- LED lighting - seems like the best place to mount something like that would be on the underside of the tent floor - it's a hard panel and easy to mount things to, perhaps also a fold-down hook or two for hanging clothes while changing?

- Unlikely I'd ever be camping when a heater was necessary but I get the idea :).

- Pouches - I was thinking pouches/pockets on the inside to facilitate changing; could also do a Molle panel on the inside if that could be useful.

Thanks for the ideas!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The only issue and why I don't have one is use meaning my buddy for instance who has one only puts it on when his wife goes camping with us lol. He doesn't care to use it when it's just him. If you are stationary for a few days maybe. I would rather have the awning room attachment instead like what arb makes for there's. Like this.
cbdc1b60e0246275614ec8b8c9806472.jpg

Donny,

Thanks. I like the ARB unit, but seems like it might take longer to set up/take down than a tent-based annex which simply hooks to the tent bottom? (Or per my previous response to Scott, stays hooked to the tent when the tent is folded and as the tent is deployed the sides simply are unstrapped and they roll down by themselves?)

But it does look like it provides "living space" vs. the tent annex which at best is a changing area and place to shelter the kitchen from rain.

Does the ARB unit have a floor? The Mombasa annex doesn't have a floor; maybe adding a floor is a good idea?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Definitely like your idea on the windows. Very quick and useful. :)

Maybe just an extension for the tent cover awning, that would drape down the sides, as well as extend further out.
Nothing like being able to get into the tent/change area, while staying dry. :)

I have given a lot of thought to carrying an EZ-Up with mosquito netting sides. Because trying to eat dinner while surrounded by flying, buzzing, biting things is something I don't enjoy any more... lol

Out here the mountains can make their own weather. Suddenly showers will open up out of nowhere. Or we take off on a sunny day, only to end up in the middle of a rain/sleet snow storm in the mountains.
So the idea of fast deployable coverage is pretty cool! :beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman