Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Finally got around to installing the complete set of prototype HD door hinges. Up until now I had only installed one on each side to test and use the door hinge steps; last week I installed one more to test my hinge mounted Rotopax and HiLift carrier ideas, and today I finally installed the rest of the set.

FullHingeSet2_zpsqkoakkda.jpg

With a step installed:

FullHingeSet3_zpsgxwlhzkg.jpg

I like the look of these hinges a lot better than the factory ones.

Next I need to repair the corrosion underneath the hinges that was designed-in by Jeep - every JK/JKU up through sometime in the mid-2015 model year (and maybe later models too) will have corrosion under the hinges due to a bad design decision made at Jeep. As I'm fixing the corrosion I'll write step-by-step instructions for the fix.

Repaired the corrosion under my hinges yesterday. Here's the step-by-step process...

CorrosionInstructions1_zpsxko6yizf.jpg

CorrosionInstructions2_zpsnqiw5nuz.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The paper mockup has the same profile as the JK factory grille, but the JL grille slats bend forward a bit:

JL2_zpszk17ksad.jpg

The TJ and YJ grille slats also bent forward a bit, I don't have a YJ handy but this shows the TJ bend, which is very slight and less than the JL bend (also here's a CJ grille on my LJ, which is unfortunately obscured a bit by my plow, it's that time of year). Don't mind the turn signals on the mockup sticking out too far, they're just held to the surface with tape for the purpose of this mockup.

ThreeEras2_zps5f0guzzg.jpg

ThreeEras1_zpstm7x5le3.jpg

I'm thinking the new grille for the JK should bend forward like the JL grille.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
If one wanted to do a more accurate JL impersonation, the turn signals could be put in the fenders. I obviously don't have factory fenders, but my flat fenders do have a place to mount lights.

FenderTurnSignals1_zpsh1dklztp.jpg

FenderTurnSignals2_zpssk2ltu9x.jpg

Wouldn't be too hard to mount some lightweight LED strips just below the JK fenders to imitate the JL look.

JL6a_zpsoe5ygpxx.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Hi Jeff,

Is there a simple way to profile the mold to replicate the lines of the CJ grill?

Well it just so happens that I have a CJ grille handy, let's see how it might fit on a JK...

CJGrille1_zpsnik0lgav.jpg

CJGrille2_zpsckn3a1uy.jpg

Short answer: No. The CJ grille is too narrow and too tall.

Longer answer: The structure of the JK is much wider than the CJ. The CJ radiator is about 25" wide and the JK radiator is about 30" wide. You could swap radiators, but then you'd have to modify the core support, relocate lots of stuff from the currently crowded engine compartment as it gets more crowded when the fenders are pulled in, and change the entire supporting structure for the front clip.

The project to put a CJ grille on the TJ was almost easy compared to that, no structural changes were required to the Jeep, all I needed to do was:

- Make a new custom hood in fiberglass
- Make a new custom cowl panel in fiberglass
- Make new inner fenders in fiberglass
- Make new outer fenders in fiberglass
- Make a bunch of brackets to enable mounting the TJ radiator in the CJ grille

All of the above would be required for a JK project, as well as changing the supporting structure of the front of the Jeep and relocating lots of engine compartment components.

LJ-8Final2_zpsfbe98979.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've used the DIY awning on two expeditions now, and it's worked out very well on both Jeeps.

CampSetup6_zpsoefkuniy.jpg

HurricanePass2_zps98xw2dnz.jpg

I love the look of the "fake rattan" of the Ikea shade I used, but it's starting to show some signs of stress already. Intended to be an interior window shade, it appears the fake rattan won't be up to long-term use outside, so I replaced it with new fabric. I used coated Cordura nylon, a fabric used by the military for all kinds of applications.

NewFabric2_zpswanbi7e6.jpg

NewFabric1_zpssxevtvtq.jpg

This fabric is extremely strong, and with its waterproof coating it'll shed rain, which the fake rattan wouldn't.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Well it just so happens that I have a CJ grille handy, let's see how it might fit on a JK...

Short answer: No. The CJ grille is too narrow and too tall.

Longer answer: The structure of the JK is much wider than the CJ. The CJ radiator is about 25" wide and the JK radiator is about 30" wide. You could swap radiators, but then you'd have to modify the core support, relocate lots of stuff from the currently crowded engine compartment as it gets more crowded when the fenders are pulled in, and change the entire supporting structure for the front clip.

The project to put a CJ grille on the TJ was almost easy compared to that, no structural changes were required to the Jeep, all I needed to do was:

- Make a new custom hood in fiberglass
- Make a new custom cowl panel in fiberglass
- Make new inner fenders in fiberglass
- Make new outer fenders in fiberglass
- Make a bunch of brackets to enable mounting the TJ radiator in the CJ grille

All of the above would be required for a JK project, as well as changing the supporting structure of the front of the Jeep and relocating lots of engine compartment components.

LOL!

I get that the CJ grill wouldn't fit a JK. :elkgrin:

I was thinking something much simpler. Accentuate the curvature below the headlight of the CJ grill, by recessing the portion of JK grill outside the curve. Move the running lights in towards the grill slot.
Could even be done by shading the paint in that area, Or using vinyl stickers in black that emulate this curve by whomever buys the grill. But it wouldn't look as nice as having an actual body line in the fiberglass.
Having a "body line" done in the fiberglass mold would give the user more options as well.

Something like the picture below, only not done in Crayon by someone unqualified to use a Crayon (that would be me... :smilies27)
If the body line was molded in, a guy could even get a chrome "wrap" done, with flat black pieces to shade out the lower side areas.

Attachments

• JL Grill.jpg
    JL Grill.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 17

jscherb

Expedition Leader
LOL!

I get that the CJ grill wouldn't fit a JK. :elkgrin:

I was thinking something much simpler. Accentuate the curvature below the headlight of the CJ grill, by recessing the portion of JK grill outside the curve. Move the running lights in towards the grill slot.
Could even be done by shading the paint in that area, Or using vinyl stickers in black that emulate this curve by whomever buys the grill. But it wouldn't look as nice as having an actual body line in the fiberglass.
Having a "body line" done in the fiberglass mold would give the user more options as well.

Something like the picture below, only not done in Crayon by someone unqualified to use a Crayon (that would be me... :smilies27)
If the body line was molded in, a guy could even get a chrome "wrap" done, with flat black pieces to shade out the lower side areas.

Based on what's behind the grille, this is about the best that can be done without modifying the Jeep:

ComancheScottCJ_zps57g4lqa4.jpg

That doesn't remind me very much of a CJ grille.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
more like a hungry chipmunk took a couple of bites...
Looks to be more of a detractor, than something worthwhile.

BTW: you are way better with the Crayons than I am! :beer:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
more like a hungry chipmunk took a couple of bites...
Looks to be more of a detractor, than something worthwhile.

BTW: you are way better with the Crayons than I am! :beer:

Agreed, doesn't look right, not worthwhile. But it was worth doing a concept drawing to be sure, thanks for suggesting it.

I don't claim to be a great artist, but I can truthfully claim to be a semi-professional draftsman/illustrator - dozens of my drawings have been published in magazines and books on three continents. For my Jeep projects I do lots of design and concept drawings and mockups before I ever pick up a tool to start work, it helps a great deal in visualizing what the final product will look like and getting the design right.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Yesterday I started work on the mold master for the JL Grille Kit and while it's probably only about a week's work to complete it will be at least a month if not more until it's done because I've got so many other projects going on right now, some of which have higher priority than the grille kit. I'll try to post some work-in-progress shots of the grille mold master along the way.

This arrived in the mail yesterday:

SinkPump1_zpstrhxifev.jpg

When I was at the RVIA trade show last week I posted that I was talking with RV suppliers about powering a sink in the Trail Kitchen, this is a sample one of the vendors agreed to send me for the project. It's a very nice pump for the sink application - small (my phone is in the picture for comparison), good flow (1.2 gallons per minute), low power (4 amps max), and it's got an integrated demand pressure switch that automatically turns on the pump when the faucet is opened. Another vendor promised me a sample folding faucet, that hasn't arrived yet.

Also on my project list - on-board air, when I was at SEMA I got a sample compressor and air tank from a supplier for prototyping that project so I've got to get moving on that.

And I've got to turn my fridge wiring harness into a production prototype and deliver it to the company that's planning to bring the Trail Kitchen to market.

Too many projects underway.

prperkins

I've used the DIY awning on two expeditions now, and it's worked out very well on both Jeeps.

CampSetup6_zpsoefkuniy.jpg

HurricanePass2_zps98xw2dnz.jpg

I love the look of the "fake rattan" of the Ikea shade I used, but it's starting to show some signs of stress already. Intended to be an interior window shade, it appears the fake rattan won't be up to long-term use outside, so I replaced it with new fabric. I used coated Cordura nylon, a fabric used by the military for all kinds of applications.

NewFabric2_zpswanbi7e6.jpg

NewFabric1_zpssxevtvtq.jpg

This fabric is extremely strong, and with its waterproof coating it'll shed rain, which the fake rattan wouldn't.

Hi Jeff,

I'm wondering what is your rooftop tent setup, and have you tried a few different setups before selecting the one pictured above?
Thanks!!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Hi Jeff,

I'm wondering what is your rooftop tent setup, and have you tried a few different setups before selecting the one pictured above?
Thanks!!

The tent is a Mombasa "9008 Expedition" model (https://www.mombasaoutdoor.com/9008-expedition-roof-top-tent/), it's a two-person tent that's a bit larger than a queen bed inside. It's a high quality tent. Both my JK and my LJ have XJ Cherokee roof racks on top; the tent mounts either directly to the roof rails of those racks, or as I set it up on my recent Death Valley expedition, the tent can mount on top of my Garvin rack (which also mounts the the Cherokee rails).

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by setups but if you mean setting up the tent to open off the side or the back, I can do it either way but since I've got the DIY awning off the back now I like setting it up to open off the side..

Or, if by setups you mean did I consider other tents before choosing this one, no I didn't because I didn't choose this one - this tent was given to me by a company that licensed one of my fiberglass designs.

Happy to answer any other questions you might have about my camping configuration.

CampSetup1_zps0kxaxhfr.jpg

SafariRTTLong1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior