Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jgaz

Adventurer
Could be a decent idea especially on the seats in my LJ where there is no separate, adjustable, headrest. I could see using the backside for a FAK.

Not sure I’d use, or even like the side pouches. Myself, I wouldn’t want them permanently installed. Velcro or molle would give an option.

Honestly, IMO, this would only appeal to a narrow audience that doesn’t have a vehicle with a more common, adjustable post, headrest.

Just my $.02

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Could be a decent idea especially on the seats in my LJ where there is no separate, adjustable, headrest. I could see using the backside for a FAK.

Not sure I’d use, or even like the side pouches. Myself, I wouldn’t want them permanently installed. Velcro or molle would give an option.

Honestly, IMO, this would only appeal to a narrow audience that doesn’t have a vehicle with a more common, adjustable post, headrest.

Just my $.02
Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I should put a PALS/MOLLE grid on the sides and leave the use of that area up to the individual's needs.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I posted this photo in my SEMA thread; MORryde has picked up the suction-mount table design and was showing an early prototype at this year's SEMA Show. No word on a release date, they're still working on several sources for suction mounts. A tailgate mount version will almost certainly follow since 95% of the parts are the same for the suction version and the tailgate version.

MORrydeDisplay4.jpg

I've been experimenting with some other ideas using the same suction mounts such as this hood-mount gear panel

JKHoodPanel1.jpg

JKHoodPanel2.jpg

JKHoodPanel3.jpg

This isn't necessarily the size or shape I would make the panel if this were to become a product, I just used a panel I had on hand from another project to do this mockup.

It fits on the TJ as well.

TJHoodPanel1.jpg

I believe there are hood panels on the market, but they bolt in place vs. this one that attaches/removes in seconds using the suction mounts. With the suction mount, you would only have the panel and the gear on the hood when you were on an expedition where the gear might be used. Otherwise the gear could be left in the garage.

I'm considering prototyping a few other ideas I have that also "suck", I'll post them if I do prototypes.

And speaking of hardware, I dropped by the local Ford dealer to do some measurements for a Trail Kitchen no-drill installation kit for the Bronco. I documented the measurements and the changes necessary to turn the JL kit into a Bronco kit and sent them along to MORryde. Hopefully the Bronco world will soon be able to take advantage of the Trail Kitchen.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
One of my "background" projects is a 4-way hose setup for airing up/down all 4 tires at the same time, , here's an update. The week before SEMA, a friend who works at a weatherstrip/hose company sent me some sample hose to try; I tried it and it worked fine (much better than the original thin clear hose I started with). I met with him at SEMA and asked him to send me enough to finish the prototype. It arrived the other day so I cut it to the right lengths and assembled everything. I tested it yesterday...

AirUpTesting.jpg

After using, all tires equalized:

PressuresEqualized.jpg

The Schrader valve is a bit inconvenient the way it is, the gauge isn't really right for this application and the lengths of the 4 hoses could be optimized (shortened) to take up less storage space, so those are the next things I'll work on.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've pretty much finished up testing the new Auxbeam headlights and writing a review. The lights aren't on the web site yet so I asked them when they planned the release and they told me January. After testing these I've decided that maybe I will post a review here after all; even though the halo functions are bling that most people with expedition Jeeps might not want, the headlight function is much brighter than stock headlights so they might be of interest to to people here anyway and you don't have to use the halos if you don't want to. The company would prefer that I post the review at about the same time as the release, so I guess it'll be about a month before I can do that.

I'll offer one quick photo now, in this photo I was doing an initial test plugged into the JKU to verify proper operation - some LEDs flicker in CAN Bus vehicles but these work great. Also, you might be able to tell that they're projector lens lights, which provides a very sharp beam pattern with very little spill of light off to the sides so all of the brightness goes where it can do the most good.

JKTest.jpg

And this morning I got an email from the lithium battery company, they sent me this video showing them testing the battery voltage and packing it up for shipping. I'm very much looking forward to swapping it for my lead-acid auxiliary battery and giving it a good test.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Testing the lithium battery a company is sending me requires that I know how much current it takes when charging. My current lead-acid auxiliary battery takes about 40 amps when charging from the point where it can no longer run the refrigerator so my charging system is set up to provide up to 50 amps to that battery. But lithium batteries can take up to 100 amps when charging, which would be too much for my system. I ordered a 100 amp ammeter on eBay and I can replace my 50-amp relay with one rated for a higher amperage and the system circuit breaker with one rated at 100 amps for the testing.

eBayAmmeter.jpg

I'll install the higher current components temporarily and if I find that in normal use the battery never draws more than 50 amps while charging I can remove those components and go back to the 50amp components.

I'm planning a very thorough review. Stay tuned, I'll start a dedicated thread on the battery and testing when it arrives and I get started.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
For a long time I've used marine deep cycle batteries from Walmart as the kitchen/auxiliary batteries in my JKU and LJ and they've performed very well. They had a 3-year warranty and generally lasted very close to 3 years in kitchen service.

On October 17 of last year, the auxiliary battery in my JKU needed to be replaced, it lasted 35 months of the 36 month warranty and I had been very happy with it. I replaced it with a new similar battery from Walmart, but the new battery had a 1-year warranty. I didn't think much about the warranty at the time since I've always gotten satisfactory service from these batteries.

Over the past few weeks I've notice a decline in the capacity of the battery so I decided to try to swap it for a new one at Walmart. I had forgotten that it only had a one-year warranty, and today is almost 2 -months past the end of that one year, so the old battery was worthless except as a core charge so I had to buy a new one.

I considered not buying a new one since a company is sending me a lithium battery to test that might be a better choice for this application, but decided to buy it anyway.

I'm posting this because for years I've said good things about Walmart deep cycle marine batteries as kitchen/auxiliary batteries, but since they've changed to one-year warranties (and probably cheapened the batteries at the same time), I'm probably not a fan anymore.

jgaz

Adventurer
For a long time I've used marine deep cycle batteries from Walmart as the kitchen/auxiliary batteries in my JKU and LJ and they've performed very well. They had a 3-year warranty and generally lasted very close to 3 years in kitchen service.

On October 17 of last year, the auxiliary battery in my JKU needed to be replaced, it lasted 35 months of the 36 month warranty and I had been very happy with it. I replaced it with a new similar battery from Walmart, but the new battery had a 1-year warranty. I didn't think much about the warranty at the time since I've always gotten satisfactory service from these batteries.

Over the past few weeks I've notice a decline in the capacity of the battery so I decided to try to swap it for a new one at Walmart. I had forgotten that it only had a one-year warranty, and today is almost 2 -months past the end of that one year, so the old battery was worthless except as a core charge so I had to buy a new one.

I considered not buying a new one since a company is sending me a lithium battery to test that might be a better choice for this application, but decided to buy it anyway.

I'm posting this because for years I've said good things about Walmart deep cycle marine batteries as kitchen/auxiliary batteries, but since they've changed to one-year warranties (and probably cheapened the batteries at the same time), I'm probably not a fan anymore.
I just bought a new battery for my truck. I purchased an Interstate battery from Costco.
Costco no longer sells a battery with a 36 month free replacement warranty. Their warranty however is prorated for the 36 months.

I need to do some checking but it seems to me that the battery vendors are going away from the 36 month free replacement but only offering a 12 month warranty is sad.

jscherb

Expedition Leader

Just my $.02

I made a new version with PALS/MOLLE on the sides and a nicer pocket that matches the OO door pockets. This photo is in my LJ:

HeadrestBuddyLJ1a.jpg

A closer look at the new prototype in the JKU:

HeadrestBuddyJK6a.jpg

An updated pocket, this photo in the JKU:

HeadrestBuddyDoorPocketMatch.jpg

A First Aid pouch, this is one I sewed for the first prototype but mounted on the second prototype. If I go further with this I'll make another one of these that looks like the pocket above:

HeadrestBuddyJK5.jpg

Another shot in the LJ, this one with the prototype 1 pocket:

HeadrestBuddyLJ4a.jpg

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
After sewing the new prototype headrest storage I showed it to OO and it sounds like they may be making them. They are interested in both the updated pocket and a First Aid version.

OOPrototypes.jpg

The black pocket in the photo above is a real pocket with a leather OO emblem digitally added and the First Aid pocket is a total digital edit.

And rather than have the pocket sewed to the headrest band, I think they'll put PALS/MOLLE on the back of the band and MOLLE straps on the pockets, so the bands could be used with other MOLLE items on the back and/or the pockets could be used with other MOLLE panels.

The band will also have PALS/MOLLE on both sides, as in this photo I posted earlier.

headrestbuddyjk6a-jpg.810444

This version of the band works in the JK and in the '03-'06 TJ, they've also asked me verify the fit in the JL/Gladiator and if adjustments need to be made for those Jeeps I'll do a version for those Jeeps.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Final version, I put a PALS/MOLLE grid on the back rather than having the pouch sewed to the band.

HeadrestBuddyAllMOLLE.jpg

In these photos the pouch on the back attaches with MOLLE straps and it matches the pockets on the OO door pockets. Also added a few small MOLLE things on the side.

HeadrestBuddyWithSidePouches.jpg

And trying it out with a couple of different MOLLE pouches on the back.

HeadrestBuddyWithSustMOLLELJ.jpg

And fits nicely on the '03-'06 TJ/LJ without any changes.

HeadrestBuddyWithMOLLELJ.jpg

Project done, I'll turn this over to OO after Christmas.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I mentioned that a Lithium battery company contacted me and asked if I would be interested in testing one of their batteries. Given the recent decline in quality of the Walmart lead-acid batteries I have been using (https://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/barn-door-for-jk-factory-hardtops.127687/post-3144307), I've been thinking I need a better option, so I agreed. Their battery arrived today:

BatteryArrived.jpg

I'll start a thread with a detailed review as soon as I do some initial tests.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Still experimenting with the 4-way air up/down hose. I swapped the awkward Schrader valve for a more convenient inflator. In this photo my finger is on the release button.

FinalAirup.jpg

Works well:

FinalDash.jpg

It can be a little frustrating though because the TPMS sensors in the tires take a little while to update and they're not high precision devices so one tire may show 37 while the others are showing 36 and actually they probably have the same pressure but the sensors are inaccurate to as much as 3%. That's a generic figure, I couldn't find specific specs on the Jeep sensors but I assume they're about the same.

I plan to reduce the length of the hoses a bit, the less hose there is, the less space this will take to store and I'll clean up the connections at the valves a little. I also plan to make a storage bag for it.

FinalHoses.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I stopped by the Jeep dealer (BTW they call themselves a "Jeep store") just before New Year's to check the fit of the headrest storage sleeve on the JL and Gladiator. The headrests (JL/Gladiator are the same) are completely different from the JK headrests, so I made a pattern, took the pattern home and sewed a JL/Gladiator version. Test-fit it today at the "Jeep store" and it's fine. I'll turn it over to OO.

HeadrestBuddyJL3.jpg

Also as long as I'm on the subject of OO, I got an email today from forum member pith helmet, apparently he ordered some Saddlebags from OO (or maybe from Quadratec or Extreme Terrain, he didn't say) and he seems to like them a lot. I won't quote his full email here but he did send a photo, looks like he's got a lot of stuff in this Saddlebag. I passed along his comments to OO, usually it goes the other way 'round, OO gets comments from customers and (sometimes) shares them with me.

TravisSaddlebag.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Over the past few years I've tested a number of LED headlights for Auxbeam, and for over a year now I've been running Auxbeam H13 LED bulbs in my JKU and they're a great improvement in visibility. I ran them all last winter without a snow buildup problem and we haven't had any snow to speak of so far this year, but I'm waiting for the snowstorm that the LEDs won't be able to deal with due to snow buildup.

The other day the windshield washers in my JKU stopped working and the reason turned out to be that one of the hose connectors broke - apparently a victim of engine compartment heat. The only connector I had on hand was a tee, so I put that in and plugged the third leg:

HeadlightWasherTee.jpg

And that gave me an idea - what if I ran a hose from that leg of the tee to washers installed on the grille? Every time I wash the windshield, the headlights would get sprayed with washer fluid that won't freeze in the winter. The washer pump has plenty of pressure to supply both the windshield and the headlights. For the summer, the hose could be disconnected from the tee and the tee plugged again.

Maybe not an ideal solution, but very easy and inexpensive to implement. And it it works well but washing the windshield and the headlights at the same time isn't desired, an extra pump could be added to the washer reservoir to just feed the headlight nozzles.

Might be worth trying. Images of washer nozzles held in place on JK and TJ grilles...

JKHeadlightWasherPlacement.jpg

TJHeadlightWasherPlacement.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior