Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

TCook

So I misunderstood Jeff when we were discussing the rear wiper motor. At one time we discussed the wiper motor arm interfering with the stock third brake light but he was able to design and find a wiper motor that worked. Attached is a picture showing protrusion of the wiper arm from the face of the barn door. With the cover on the rear this should be reduced down to 1".

photo%2B1-791963.JPG

So the third brake pod will just be used for hinge recess covering and adding auxiliary lights. I still plan to remove my third brake light and put in the pod as it is right in the sight line anyway.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've been working on the idea of sliding windows for the side of the hardtop. I posted this photo before, someone installed sliders in the factory window opening:

SASlider1_zpseeb2f205.jpg

Aluminum window frames generally have a 2.5" minimum radius, so there's a slight mismatch in the corners on the ones above.

I found another example where the person cut out the entire window opening and installed a larger window flush with the outside of the hardtop:

OutsideWindow2_zps430189d8.jpg

The latter method provides for a larger window and doesn't have the mismatch at the corners, but does require cutting the hardtop.

I think I prefer the latter windows because they're larger and don't have the radius mismatch in the corners. The downside is the need to cut the window opening - not a problem for me, but I'm guessing some people might not want to do that.

p8ntbill2

2 Door Hard Top slider windows.

The factory hard tops are not flat, so will the after market windows flatten out the top? On my 2 door there is a 1/4" bow from front to back and a small bow from top to bottom. Also do you know where they purchased the windows for the second style (cutting out the opening)?

Thanks,
Bill

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The factory hard tops are not flat, so will the after market windows flatten out the top? On my 2 door there is a 1/4" bow from front to back and a small bow from top to bottom. Also do you know where they purchased the windows for the second style (cutting out the opening)?

Thanks,
Bill

That's correct, the mounting surface isn't flat, and it needs to be flat in order for the window to operate properly. The guy whose Jeep is pictured says 'they are a "little tight" still in regards to the sliding', which I'm guessing is because he attached them directly to the curved surface - I've sent him a message asking him about it but haven't heard back yet.

I've got several different solutions to provide a flat mounting surface. I've got to do a little testing to see which one I like best.

He bought his from Motion Windows, and said they cost $575 for the pair (I'm guessing that's without shipping based on what I know of Motion Windows' pricing). I've got a source that could do them for a small fraction of that in quantities of about 12 pairs.

p8ntbill2

Count me in on the bulk order for windows, once the the flat surface is figured out. Thank you for the information.
Bill

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A few more photos of a slider window mounted in an opening cut larger in the hardtop:

OutsideWindow3_zpse3580a35.jpg

OutsideWindow1_zps61fcd53a.jpg

OutsideWindow4_zpsc64a4689.jpg

One other thing about using this style is that the same size windows could be installed in both the early model and late model JKU hardtops - the early model windows aren't as long as the later models (there's a 4" difference), so if you've got an early model JKU hardtop you could end up with longer windows, which would also mean larger openings in the sliders. Doing the same size window in both models could also reduce the cost, because only one size would have to be made for all years of JKU.

jcb-memphis

While not a functional thing, I like the way the later hardtop windows line up with the front and middle windows along the side....minor issue, but to me it matters - so if you could just drop a window in that woudl be ideal (for the latter years). In theory, that should work with the earlier ones too.

jb

TCook

After searching online for potential clear aux lights I ordered a set of these in red and clear for the pod today for testing.

LED-705612.bmp

Red%2BLED-709258.bmp

http://www.kchilites.com/lights/pro-sport/cyclone/2-cyclone-led-light.html

If these live up to the hype at 1100 Raw Lumens in a 2" round package then they are the brightest small LED lights I could find. The bars I have drawn in the longer pod are only a couple hundred lumens due to the lens and much lower quality.

The aluminum extrusion order for the ModuluS was placed last Friday so parts should begin arriving this week. I was able to get a really good deal on non-standard lengths so I will need to cut the material to appropriate lengths when received. This will add a day or two on to my assembly time but I will get pictures up as soon as I start assembling.

JCDriller

Adventurer
A few more photos of a slider window mounted in an opening cut larger in the hardtop:

OutsideWindow3_zpse3580a35.jpg

OutsideWindow1_zps61fcd53a.jpg

OutsideWindow4_zpsc64a4689.jpg

One other thing about using this style is that the same size windows could be installed in both the early model and late model JKU hardtops - the early model windows aren't as long as the later models (there's a 4" difference), so if you've got an early model JKU hardtop you could end up with longer windows, which would also mean larger openings in the sliders. Doing the same size window in both models could also reduce the cost, because only one size would have to be made for all years of JKU.

If this is the route you go, count me in. I want a pair of these bad! Email sent with my contact info.

Are these 2 piece, clamshells that go in from the inside and outside or are these just epoxied/siliconed in from the outside? What's the inside seam look like?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
If this is the route you go, count me in. I want a pair of these bad! Email sent with my contact info.

Are these 2 piece, clamshells that go in from the inside and outside or are these just epoxied/siliconed in from the outside? What's the inside seam look like?

The basic window would be 2-piece - the outer frame with the glass, and an inner clamp ring. The person who did these windows also posted this inside photo, although it's hard to see how they attach:

OutsideWindow5_zpsd36f4608.jpg

There would probably also be a third piece - the third piece being a screen that attaches to the inside and is removable. Screens are standard with sliders from the company I've dealt with for windows in the past.

TCook

Got some packages in the mail today. Aluminum extrusion, hardware, cutting board top and some hinges I plan to use for the table as they have a removable pin so it will be easy to install and remove.

I hope to be able to get these to the shop tomorrow but have a full day of meetings plus I'm Mr. Mom this week as my wife is out of town on a business trip. Worst case these will be off to the shop on Monday and I hope to have an assembled prototype by the end of next week. This day job is keeping me from turning things around like Jeff can :D

photo-727692.JPG

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Great idea on the removable table. Would make a great cutting board at the campsite!

yeah, working for a living just isn't fair... :beer:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Here's a look at a little bit of what I'm planning for the full JKU Safari Cab project. The sides, end and roof are all separate modular panels (the roof isn't shown in this drawing). Sides/end can be fiberglass or roll-up canvas just like my LJ Safari Cab. Windows in the side panels could be solid glass, sliders or swing-up. The roof panel can be run as a hard bikini without the sides or end panels, or with hard or canvas roll-up sides/ends.

ModularComponents1_zpsc03a6f5c.jpg

Functionally and structurally the design is very similar to my LJ Safari Cab.

SafariCab3.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Aren't you on holiday in Alaska? Relax enjoy the sights :D
Yes, we're spending the day in Fairbanks today relaxing from the long drive up here and getting ready for the drive up the Dalton Highway starting tomorrow. Had some spare time in the hotel this morning so did a little drawing and posting :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger