Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Project update - I haven't made much progress on the JK Safari Cab for the past month or so because several other of my design projects have recently been picked up by two different companies to become commercial products, and that's been keeping me pretty busy. I hope to be getting back to the Safari Cab project shortly. Next up is making the mold master and then the mold for the main roof panel. Once that's done I'll mold a roof and begin assembling the parts on the JK.

One of the side projects that came out of JK Safari Cab work is a retrofit kit for installing opening windows in the JK hardtop. I've been playing with a bunch of different style opening windows for the Safari Cab (sliders, tilt-ups, etc.), and they're really easy to install in the Safari Cab because I made the window mounting surface flat. But installing the same windows in a factory hardtop is presents a few challenges because the JK hardtop window mounting surface is curved and standard RV-style windows require a flat mounting surface.

I have been working on this with an RV window company, and I now have what I believe will be a cost-effective solution to the curved surface problem. I've been doing my testing in a curved test fixture I made a few months back to simulate the curved mounting surface of the factory hardtop, and I've resolved the mounting and sealing issues that the curved surface causes. I don't know if there would be enough interest to make the retrofit worth doing, but at least now the main technical issues are resolved.

RetrofitTest2d_zps5ranf5ur.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
One of the other projects that's been taking my time away from the Safari Cab project is a tailgate reinforcement/large spare carrier I've been working on to go along with the heavy duty tailgate hinges I designed, and the prototype parts are ready for testing so yesterday I installed everything. This is only a stock 32" spare, there's lots of room for something larger. The height of the spare and of the third brake light are adjustable, these aren't the highest positions.

The 225-lb. gorilla test:

225lbGorillaTest_zps03lisoqq.jpg

One of my main design goals was that the result shouldn't look like a hardware store hanging off the back of the Jeep; I'm not a fan of the look of many of the big swing-away tire carriers, so I wanted to have the Jeep look as close to stock as possible while at the same time safely supporting larger spares and carrying things like Rotopax containers on the back.

GatezillaAndRotopax_zps8i0mux01.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Was the barn Door one of the items picked up?

There is a company that has told me several times that they were interested in producing the barn door now and the Safari Cab when I finish it, but I've told them I don't think it makes sense for me to let someone do the barn door before I finish the rest of the Safari Cab.

greggNJ

Observer
One of the other projects that's been taking my time away from the Safari Cab project is a tailgate reinforcement/large spare carrier I've been working on to go along with the heavy duty tailgate hinges I designed, and the prototype parts are ready for testing so yesterday I installed everything. This is only a stock 32" spare, there's lots of room for something larger.

One of my main design goals was that the result shouldn't look like a hardware store hanging off the back of the Jeep; I'm not a fan of the look of many of the big swing-away tire carriers, so I wanted to have the Jeep look as close to stock as possible while at the same time safely supporting larger spares and carrying things like Rotopax containers on the back.

Any pictures without the tire?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
One of the other projects that's been taking my time away from the Safari Cab project is a tailgate reinforcement/large spare carrier I've been working on to go along with the heavy duty tailgate hinges I designed, and the prototype parts are ready for testing so yesterday I installed everything. This is only a stock 32" spare, there's lots of room for something larger. The height of the spare and of the third brake light are adjustable, these aren't the highest positions.

The 225-lb. gorilla test:

225lbGorillaTest_zps03lisoqq.jpg

GatezillaAndRotopax_zps8i0mux01.jpg

Jeff, any idea if MorRyde will be selling the tire mount?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jeff, any idea if MorRyde will be selling the tire mount?

I have a meeting tomorrow to discuss the HD spare mount, the tailgate reinforcement, the hinge-mount Rotopax carrier, and a few other things I've recently designed, like the bolt-on side-mount jerry and Rotpax carriers. Stay tuned.

JKSideMountRotopax1_zpsfotedvtm.jpg

JKSideMountJerry4_zpspvrzhf7l.jpg

Any pictures without the tire?

I probably should hold of on posting detailed photos of the tailgate reinforcement and HD spare carrier until after the meeting.

p8ntbill2

Jeff,
If the curved window retrofit does not get picked up. Will you release the details of how you solved the problem? Really would like sliders for my dogs.
Thanks,
Bill

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jeff,
If the curved window retrofit does not get picked up. Will you release the details of how you solved the problem? Really would like sliders for my dogs.
Thanks,
Bill

Sure.

I have been contacted by a company that's interested in offering retrofit window kits for the JK, so we'll have to see if that develops into anything. They told me they may start a thread on the subject to gauge interest and also to find out what kind of windows people might be interested in (sliders, swing ups, removable pane, etc.), so if they do that I'll post the link.

In the meantime I'm making up a few sets of retrofit kit parts for further testing and to discuss with sources for manufacturing the kit parts.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Really liking the jerry can/rotopax front fender mounts! Hopefully they make it to production!

Thanks! I had a meeting with a company today and these were one of the topics - it looks like they will be going into production.

i'd like a driver's side front can mount please! PM me if they are available……

They aren't available at the moment, but should be sometime this summer.

I don't sell anything - I'm a Jeep hobbyist, just like everyone else here. I often design new things I want for my Jeep, and sometimes companies like them enough to manufacture them and bring them to market, which is what happened to these JK side-mount jerry/Rotopax mounts today. A couple of other products got picked up today too, it was a good meeting :).

For the record: I am not an employee of any of the companies that manufacture or market my Jeep accessory designs.

greggNJ

Observer
I don't sell anything - I'm a Jeep hobbyist, just like everyone else here. I often design new things I want for my Jeep, and sometimes companies like them enough to manufacture them and bring them to market, which is what happened to these JK side-mount jerry/Rotopax mounts today. A couple of other products got picked up today too, it was a good meeting :).

I hope that includes the tailgate reinforcement and HD spare mount!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I hope that includes the tailgate reinforcement and HD spare mount!

Yes, those will also be available this summer, as will the hinge-mount Rotopax carrier (which is also in the photos I posted the other day of the tailgate reinforcement/HD spare carrier). And within the next few weeks, the hinge-mount HiLift carrier and the spare-mounted Excursion Rack will also be available. It's been a busy couple of months for me, that's why I haven't made as much progress in the Safari Cab project as I would have liked.

Hilift6_zpsd0zrum0b.jpg

BullCanyon1_zps8emoxnye.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman