Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

akpostal

Adventurer
Cant wait for the 2 door slider kit and the step by step on the modular 2 door stock hard top. Keep up the awesome work.

Gonzzo

Observer
Great work sir, outstanding in fact!.
Any chance this will develop into a "windoor" set up?......

That would be the ultimate deal!....

Thanks again for all the work you've put into this......!

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Great work sir, outstanding in fact!.
Any chance this will develop into a "windoor" set up?......

That would be the ultimate deal!....

Thanks again for all the work you've put into this......!

Cant wait for the 2 door slider kit...

Thank you. Where the factory hardtop window kits go next is up to the company that I did the design work for. Now that the JKU retrofit kit design is finalized and ready for production it's very easy to do new window styles or fit the other JK models. If they want to do a 2 door retrofit kit, I'll be happy to do that for them, or if they want to do other windows - windoors, gullwing hatches, etc., again that's up to them, I'll be happy to do whatever they want.

... and the step by step on the modular 2 door stock hard top. Keep up the awesome work.

Thanks. I'm about halfway done with the factory modular conversion, I've written all the steps and I've been executing the steps and taking the photos along the way. My plan is to finish the conversion and then start a thread about it - I'll post the entire process from start to finish all at once.

akpostal

Adventurer
Thanks. I'm about halfway done with the factory modular conversion, I've written all the steps and I've been executing the steps and taking the photos along the way. My plan is to finish the conversion and then start a thread about it - I'll post the entire process from start to finish all at once.

Thank you sir.

MBHH

I just learned that you dont sell something... sorry. Any Idea where I can get the materiai for cargo hatches like that? I dont need a complete new hardtop. I just want to change the two windows in my factory hardtop from my jk 2013 2DR.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Hi Jeff! Is it possible to get 2 side cargo hatches for an Original Jeep 2013 Hardtop 2 DR?

I just learned that you dont sell something... sorry. Any Idea where I can get the materiai for cargo hatches like that? I dont need a complete new hardtop. I just want to change the two windows in my factory hardtop from my jk 2013 2DR.

That's correct, I don't sell anything myself. Sometimes companies in the Jeep aftermarket ask me to do design work for them - I've done the JKU slider window and retrofit kit for a company and I'm working on the 2-door retrofit kit for the same company. The JKU slider kit is on the way to the market now. I don't know when/if they'll decide to go ahead with the 2 door kit or if it will be a window kit or a cargo hatch kit (or both), that'll be up to them.

I'm finalizing the details of the retrofit kit for the 2 door right now. I'll be working up prototypes with cargo hatches shortly and I'll post pictures here when I've got them installed in a 2 door hardtop.

If you want to do cargo hatches yourself, there are a few places out there that will do one-off custom-sized hatches, here's one: http://www.rvpartsnation.com/rv-exterior/rv-baggage-doors/600-series-radius-corner-baggage-door/. What you'll need to figure out is what size you want to mount in your window opening - the companies that do one-off custom hatches only do rectangular ones and the JK window isn't rectangular, so you'll have to decide how you want to compromise on that. Also, since these hatch assemblies require a flat mounting surface, you'll need to figure out how to deal with the curved window mounting surface of the JK hardtop (that's what the retrofit kit does).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The factory hardtop modular conversion is almost done, here's a shot of the now-modular parts being test fit back together. I've got a few more tasks to do before it's complete (like touching up the paint at the module joints), it should be done in a couple of days.

RoofTestFit_zpsgharfsze.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The whole reason I have the factory 2dr hardtop here is as a reference for developing the window retrofit kit for it, so today I experimented with a rough prototype cargo hatch - this is about the largest rectangular hatch that can fit in the late model 2dr factory hardtop window opening without cutting the hardtop. The hatch is just setting in the opening, It's still got to be mounted in a retrofit kit to secure it in the opening. I'll make up a 2dr retrofit kit for testing later this week if I get the time.

2drLateModelHatch1_zpsupd30pax.jpg

2drLateModelHatch2_zpsnsb2rfvd.jpg

I'll be finishing up the modular hardtop conversion tomorrow, so photos of that soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger