Barn door substitute for flippac

homemade

Adventurer
Climbing over a tailgate to get into the Flippac is a no go for my wife and I don‘t particularly enjoy it either. It is also a pain to have to lift stuff past the open tailgate to get things into the truck bed. What I really want are barn doors like old Flippacs that I have seen pictures of. Since those aren’t made anymore I am trying to build something myself. I will keep the flip up rear glass on the Flippac but am in the process of fabricating a tailgate that will open as a door and also open down like a standard tailgate. So far I have cut up a Stromberg Carlson 5th wheel tailgate, welded vertical lateral supports for the door frame and sprayed it with Plasticote truck bed liner. Next comes a 41” wide hinged door. I hope to have finished next weekend. No pics yet but I will try to dig up a camera and take some when I work on it next.

Clutch

<---Pass
Cool! Always thought a tailgate like on a Honda Ridgeline would be the best of both worlds for a Flippac.

2006_Ridgeline_RTL_88.jpg

2009-honda-ridgeline-dual-action-tailgate-and-in-bed-trunk-photo-228128-s-1280x782.jpg

Last edited:

homemade

Adventurer
I wish the one I made was as nice. I never looked at a Ridgeline before, too bad other manufacturers don't make this. I'm not good about taking pictures especially when I am working on something so I don't have any to post. If it doesn't fall apart I will take pics later and post them. I like it already, much easier to enter and exit and even load the truck with the taigate not sticking out.

billy bee

Adventurer
This is what I want for my rear door. Although I don't find it to difficult to climb into the FP when the gate is up, this would be more gooder:

step_4_4.jpg

3n33Gc3Me5Fb5Je5M1d3aa975e3f00ef216c8.jpg

bb

Last edited:

sjxj

Observer
A while back, I'm pretty sure I saw a Flippac on here for sale up in Boise that had barn doors - not sure if it was factory or a conversion, but it sure looked cool. Might be something to check into from FRP?

Steve

Clutch

<---Pass
Steve, that was an early generation FB you saw, they did have barn doors at first.

x-M.jpg

A single door/hatch would be nice, but would be super expensive for the manufacture, since there are so many variables between truck models, most people
grumble about the cost of a FB already, the single door/hatch would add another $2500 +/- to the price. IIRC

FordTopperFullDoor-lg.jpg

Last edited:

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
This is what I want for my rear door. Although I don't find it to difficult to climb into the FP when the gate is up, this would be more gooder:

3n33Gc3Me5Fb5Je5M1d3aa975e3f00ef216c8.jpg

bb

Hey! My shell! Well no takers on my Craig's List add but I'm glad one photo was of good use! LOL!

homemade

Adventurer
I like them all, each has advantages. I made what I did to avoid messing with the camper shell or the truck. The only thing I altered was the Stromberg Carlson gate (<$200 from Amazon). It will have to do until maybe there is something better commercially available but I'm not holding my breath waiting.

Clutch

<---Pass
I like them all, each has advantages. I made what I did to avoid messing with the camper shell or the truck. The only thing I altered was the Stromberg Carlson gate (<$200 from Amazon). It will have to do until maybe there is something better commercially available but I'm not holding my breath waiting.

I think you made the right decision, the beauty of the Flippac, is its' stealthiness, keeping it looking stock is a plus.

homemade

Adventurer
truck tailgate 015.jpgtruck tailgate 016.jpg

pictures, works well, doesn't look like it is going to fall apart. It opens down too but I don't have any need for that, it also comes off just as easily as the stock tailgate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan