Base truck discussion - FUSO FG or Isuzu with dana 60 axles and GM running gear

gator70

I had hoped to get the forum to discuss the pros and cons.
In the American market we can't buy the 4wd Isuzu NPR, yet professional conversions are available. Mostly with the GM drive line and dana 60 axles.
I see one disadvantage with the fuel economy with the v8. The service is very easy with the GM sold stuff, and the replacement too!
Seems like more options as far as choice are available too with the Isuzu route.

chime in!

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Is it true I can mount the habitat lower,
Yes and no.
The Fuso has a stepped chassis, making the rear lower than the chassis on an Isuzu.
Having said that, for the habitat to be mounted lower it has to be able to fit around the step in the chassis.
If the habitat has a flat floor that is longer than the distance between the rear of the step and the maximum overhang, then a subframe that lifts the habitat above the step is required, which will normally negate any height advantage.

driveby

I’d be looking hard at a EarthCruiser CORE chassis. They did all the hard math and hard work figuring everything out. And for another chunk of $$ you can get the whole house too.

gator70

I'm seeing 6,800lb front axle, and 11,000 rear axle.

CORE is only one company doing this. Many are switching from FUSO FG to Isuzu npr.

gator70

@SkiFreak you have a point, Australia has more options. Can you point me to a part diagram of the NPS front axle ? or picture with the wheels off?

Ultimark

I do!

That said, I don't know of any diagrams of the componentry, however I went out and took these three pictures. The fourth one is the front axle hub assembly, unfortunately not quite what you are after...but. The fifth one is a still from a video on you tube as it ascended a bit of a hill during a comparison between the NPS and a Ford Ranger ute.

The NPS front axle is 3100kg, while the rear axle is 6600kg with the entire truck maxing out at 7500kg. Depending upon whether you get 17" rims or 19½" rims will decide your final maximum weight. With 17" rims, you are restricted to 7000kg, which is 3100kg front axle, with the rear tyre rims combination maxing out at 3900kg for a total of 7000kg.

Using 19½" rims and the appropriate tyre combination, an NPS 300 retains the 3100kg on the front axle, and can legally carry 4400kg on the rear axle for a combined total of 7500kg.

The NPS runs hydraulic drum brakes all round. Also in Australia, as it is brought in as a country (bush) fire fighting truck, National Park truck type of thing, it doesn't have a DPF. Which is great as driving through grass one could unintentionally light things up.

The second best accessory for these little trucks, is a replacement Torsen style front differential. Totally transforms the experience in loose gravel/shale, sand, mud and within reason, bog holes. Whenever you engage the front axle, you have torque being applied continuously from left to right, the surefootedness steering feeling is immediate when you press the 4x4 button. The NPS comes with a clutch pack LSD rear differential, and it is very good, and when combined with the Automatic Torque Bias front differential, correct tyre pressures, then this little truck just bops along.

Mick.

Front_Axle_001_IMG_20231107_133844_Web.jpg

Front_Axle_003_IMG_20231107_133829_Web.jpg

Front_Axle_002_IMG_20231107_133837_Web.jpg

Wheel_Rotation_003_IMG_20220206_155216.jpg

Undercarriage_Active.jpg

DzlToy

Explorer
The Fuso has a stepped chassis, making the rear lower than the chassis on an Isuzu.

Actually, the opposite is true; the habitat isn't any lower on an NPR, but instead the FG cab is raised. For visual reference, look at the MASSIVE tire-to-body gap, even with the plastic trim in place, on the two trucks. There is a night and day difference. Now, look at a CORE truck and an Angry Iron-converted truck (No Longer Available) and you will see there is even less of a tire to body gap.

Top of tire + desired up-travel + height of habitat = overall height. Raising or lowering the cab using a frame rail that is stepped at the front, does not affect the former measurement. Fuso does this to clear their silly 'swing down' transfer case and solid front axle with a centered pumpkin. Toyota, Dodge, Ford, Chevy, Jeep and nearly every other majour manufacturer in the world off sets the front diff to one side or the other. Keeping CoG low, especially in a large, heavy truck, is key. Lifting the cab is simply an indication of laziness or poor engineering, IMO.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan