Base truck for custom overland build - how big is too big?

CampStewart

Observer
OP what is your offroading experience? Are you capable of changing a flat tire on one of these vehicles or getting it unstuck when a soft shoulder gives way, you slide into a ditch, or one of the 10,000 other ways vehicles get stuck in remote locations? Are you concerned about destroying trails due to the size and weight of your vehicle?

MTVR

So many people (including myself) seem to initially gravitate towards larger than life vehicles.

In the end... most of us come to our senses and stick to run of the mill full size pickups or cab-overs.

The rest either NEED a huge vehicle (big family) or wind up never finishing the project, and/or selling the thing for a massive loss

proceed with caution :ROFLMAO:

We originally budgeted about $50,000 for a large 10-lug Unimog. We ended up buying our MTVR for about $15,000 instead, so we're about $45,000 under budget- we could buy several other trucks for our box, if this one doesn't work out.

The U.S. government paid about $250,000 for our MTVR when it was new. After putting about 3,000 miles on it, they sent it to auction, where we bought it at a $235,000 discount. I don't think we're going to lose money on this truck.

tonydca

IdaSHO, that's a sweet rig - neat photo-set to see the evolution. And although I can see where that'd take you to some truly remote places on account of your smaller footprint, for me personally I could not see my wife and I spending 6+ months living fulltime in a rig that size, epecially if we had to spend a lot of time inside on account of poor weather. My body would end up on the side of the Dempster Highway with my wife in court pleading Temporary Insanity... :)

Sorry to send it off the rails a bit. My point about living with the vehicle for a while is that is the only way to know if you have it right, and right for you.

No worries at all - as I said it's all good at this point. Plus, your comment is absolutely right!!!

Jon has done an incredible job with his build, but for me there are definite deal breakers in his design...

Love to hear more about this point - what stuck out in your mind?

OP what is your offroading experience? Are you capable of changing a flat tire on one of these vehicles or getting it unstuck when a soft shoulder gives way, you slide into a ditch, or one of the 10,000 other ways vehicles get stuck in remote locations? Are you concerned about destroying trails due to the size and weight of your vehicle?

Good question - self-recovery has been on my mind quite a bit while looking at these trucks. Being the big kid on the block is no help at all when you get stuck and no-one else can help. And as far as treading lightly, I'm not planning on any hardcore trail-blazing at the moment - trips like that'll be for the motorbike, not the behemoth.

I have ideas about self-recovery for bigger rigs, but that rabbit hole would probably be worth its own thread.

And one of the first things I'd want to try with any rig I got would be to practice getting stuck and unstuck in a controlled manner, and changing a tire under poor conditions (with friends and help along for the ride the first time!!). I think this sort of exercise is a bit like doing a Man-Overboard drill if you're a sailor - time well invested at the start of an adventure!

TBH, I'd hope to avoid a lot of hazards just by practicing the "Discretion is the Better Part of Valour" approach. I'm past the age where I get a thrill out of sphincter-puckering rock-clambering in my rig (not that I ever truly did, FWIW) so if my wife and I can safely and comfortably travel over most roads most of the time - that seems pretty good to me. If we need to go somewhere really remote, we'll make a day-trip on the motorcycle. Or just head off to the next sight to see instead. It's a big ol' world after all.

One comment Rob Gray (Australian self-build on big ex-army truck chassis) made on his website really struck a chord with me:

"You don't have to be doing <<crazy offroading trails>> to find <<alll-wheel-drive>> useful however, sometimes just getting another 200 metres makes the difference between a crowded campsite with no view, and your own private patch of pristine beach. We have regularly managed to reach better, quieter, and more secluded campsites because we could handle rougher terrain than the average motorhome."

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
IdaSHO, that's a sweet rig - neat photo-set to see the evolution. And although I can see where that'd take you to some truly remote places on account of your smaller footprint, for me personally I could not see my wife and I spending 6+ months living fulltime in a rig that size, epecially if we had to spend a lot of time inside on account of poor weather. My body would end up on the side of the Dempster Highway with my wife in court pleading Temporary Insanity... :)

Totally understood, and why I have said what Ive said about finding the right fit for YOU.

The wife and I are (er... were... due to degenerative back problems for me now...) avid backpackers.
So we know how to, and enjoy, running minimalistic.

And truth be told, the main reason our camper runs so light (2200lbs dry) is because of this minimalistic approach.
Built and insulated well, but very simple, without many of the features of most campers.

Most people are not us. But Id like to assume most will fall between us and a 5-star hotel for needs and comfort.

You just need to figure out where your needs land, and design around that. (y)

Joe917

Explorer
Love to hear more about this point - what stuck out in your mind?

I'm not going to discuss another guy's build in a public forum. John has done a fantastic job and his attention to detail really shows. My point is his build would not work for me. He will find out what works and what does not work for him. I'm sure he will share eventually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan