Basecamp!

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
Just thought I'd share a pic of our new Basecamp.

The truck is a 2002 Volvo 770 6x4 w/ locker (10x8?) and traction control.
The trailer is a 2010 Raptor toy hauler.

It's going to be home for the next 2 years while we do some 'workamping'.

Cheers,
Mark

TrucknTrailer.jpg

Eric06Rubi

Observer
been contemplating something similar, although a bit more redneck, for my purposes.

used hi mileage tractors can be had fairily cheep 3-5k , will pull a camper on a gooseneck and a jeep and never break a sweat.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
The only problem I see with that setup is if you lost the camper you might not know it for awhile....Holy serious Tow Vehicle Batman!!:smiley_drive:

I was able to buy a smaller used truck for hauling things here at the ranch. It was previously used in the beverage industry, pulling a trailer about 30' long and weighing around 30,000 pounds loaded. This truck is a single axle and has no sleeper, making it very maneuverable, but still has more than 225 horsepower. I particularly like the way that it is in proportion to the size of my trailers. I've seen several other trucks like mine that have the optional 4 doors and a back seat.

TheStig

Observer
Wow! That would be nice to have a setup like that. Totally portable house to take trips out of. Enjoy!

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
The trailer is nicer than my house!

Commercial 5th wheel has been removed in favor of a snazzy air-ride ET hitch. I'll try to post some more pics this weekend.

The BMW got sold to pay for the truck - sad but true. I wasn't riding it anyway. I can't take my little guy on the bike...
I should sell the Elefant, but I just can't seem to make myself. It's going to sit in the basement until I get back.

My Zooks are BOTH toast right now. They got attacked by mice/squirrels and neither of them are running. They chewed electrics on the white one to the point where I might need to replace the wiring harness! The green one (tin top) got a fuel line and brake line chewed, plus, they ate the gas cap! There could be more damage, but I've got to fix this stuff before I can find it. I don't have time to do it now. We are supposed to come home for a month or 2 next summer...

So, the toy hauler part of the trailer isn't going to haul any of my toys, it's going to haul his toys and her washer/dryer!

We're either going to camp with an RTT on the Ridgeline or get the Ridgeline a small trailer of some sort. We're waiting for the emergency light on our bank account to stop flashing.

My wife's a PT and she'll be the one with the traveling work. I'm a full-time dad - I can do that anywhere ;-)

arcteryx

Adventurer
Interesting setup.

Out of curiosity, why did you get a big rig like that instead of a dually crew/quadcab Cummins/Powerstroke? They have more than enough hp/torque to pull the trailer in addition to having 4 doors and better mpg.

Kudos to you for be a SAHD, I'd love to have that role

Hawk62cj5

Clds are fairly easy to get , but I have a friend with out a cdl that uses a old KW to haul his jeeps and he has never had any legal issue with it so I guess RV rules apply , not sure have never looked it up.

D

Deleted member 9101

Also, dont you need a CLD for those?

Nope, not as long as its registered as a recreational vehicle.

As for the truck, if I had a 5th wheel...I woudl get a used rig in a heart beat..and Volvo woudl be at the top of the list.

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
Yup - registered as a camper. No CDL required.
Drives like a big pickup. :smiley_drive:

To answer your question about dually pickups...
No way can it do it! An F350 max's out at 16k lbs. That's what my 5er weighs.
People towing these big 5ers kill one in about 2 years.
Plus
People get killed by them because they don't have the weight/brakes to control the 5er coming down a long steep grade.
Plus
a used HDT is 10's of thousands of dollars less than a dually pickup.

Cheers,
Mark

Hawk62cj5

Yup - registered as a camper. No CDL required.
Drives like a big pickup. :smiley_drive:

To answer your question about dually pickups...
No way can it do it! An F350 max's out at 16k lbs. That's what my 5er weighs.
People towing these big 5ers kill one in about 2 years.
Plus
People get killed by them because they don't have the weight/brakes to control the 5er coming down a long steep grade.
Plus
a used HDT is 10's of thousands of dollars less than a dually pickup.

Cheers,
Mark

This is true , you can fine rigs for sheep compared to a new pick up . We had 4 trucks that were log and farm trucks that we paid 10,000 or less for and they were ok trucks . No more then that 5thwheel weighs the truck almost would ride like you were dead heading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger