Batteries for Camper

dags

Adventurer
I'm needing to replace my battery on my bobcat, thinking of going with two AGM batteries - what should i choose?

pods8

Explorer
Completely depends on your price range, needed amp hours, etc. For budget AGMs take a look at the cabels AGM deep cycles, they're on sale right now and supposedly relabeled Universal Batteries.

Some folks use the Sears Diehard agms as sears is readily available.

A battery shop will have access to other agm brands such as Deka, Lifeline, etc.

Another consideration since you're thinking two batteries is two 6V in series.

Sorry no cut and dry.

pods8

Explorer
I'm thinking two 12v optima blue batteries - Thoughts?

Over priced for the amp hours in my mind but some others seem to use them (more so for off road vehicles than camper batteries though).

No idea what pricing your local battery shops will have, sometimes some good deals there. But according to sears.com you should be able to get a size 31 diehard agm for ~$210 for a 100ah battery. Thats $2.10/ah. A size 31 optima blue is 155min reserve capacity which can roughly be cut in half to get amp hours. You can get those for $210+ form what I see so that's $2.70+/ah, 30% more expensive.

Edit: Looking at amazon it looks like you can get a Exide MC-31 MEGACYCLE AGM-200 for $190 with free shipping. I personally would want to buy my batteries in person but that might be the low pricing target you should keep in mind for a lower cost large AGM battery. ~$1.90/ah. http://www.amazon.com/Exide-MC-31-M...3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1336688915&sr=1-23

Last edited:

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
As far as battery brands go, I think you can do much better than Optima for an AGM battery. I think Odessey, Deka, or Lifeline all are likely to give you better reliability.

I don't know what sort of space constraints you are working with, but if at all possible I recommend using a single larger battery vs. two smaller batteries in parallel. Two batteries in parallel will often not yield the capacity gain you are expecting on paper because of the way the two batteries will interact with each other. I ran a dual battery setup in my Bigfoot for many years, and we never really had 2X the capacity of a single battery. I've since converted to a single Lifeline 4D size battery and are very happy with the performance of that setup.

I've done the same thing in my Horizon trailer which originally came with 2 Group 31 Dekas. I managed to squeeze a single 4D battery in the nose box and I have much better capacity performance with a small weight savings to boot.

If you do decide to go the dual battery route be sure to get identical batteries with the same manufacturing date code. This will minimize the issues associated with running two batteries in parallel, but in my experience not eliminate them.

dags

Adventurer
thanks to everyone for the great advice, the battery setup would be going in an All Terrain Camper Bobcat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998