battery hold down clamp

colotaco

Adventurer
Anyone know where I can pick up a new tray and clamp down, I'm going to install a new Sears Diehard in my 99 Tacoma

Thanks

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Ha! I was in this same situation last Summer, my factory clamp was corroded completely through and my battery was dead.

I was totally unable to find an aftermarket battery clamp for my 99 that would function with the odd setup Toyota put on there. Tried 3 different styles and none of them worked. That's the bad news.

The good news (for me, anyway) was that my local Toyota dealer had a factory clamp in stock and the cost was pretty reasonable, about $25 brand new.

Also if your new battery is taller than the old one (mine was), you may need to get a longer bolt for the front mount and put in some washers for spacing. If you aren't sure what I mean, let me know and I'll take some photos and show you.

Bottom line: Don't waste your time trying to find one at Autozone or Checker or Pep Boys, just get a factory clamp.

colotaco

Adventurer
Thanks! If it wouldn't be too much trouble could you post a picture or two? I'm a visual learner. What kind of battery do you have in it?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Thanks! If it wouldn't be too much trouble could you post a picture or two? I'm a visual learner. What kind of battery do you have in it?

Sorry for the delay, but here are the pics:

Overall pic, note how the new battery is about 3/4" higher than stock:

2011_0227_164429AA.jpg

Close up:

2011_0227_164436AA.jpg

2011_0227_164304AA.jpg

As you can see, I put in a longer bolt, then a nut at the bottom of the stack of washers. Had to experiment a few times to get the right number of washers.

I guess you could use all washers but I thought a nut would be a little more sturdy.

Just take the old hold-down bolt into the hardware store and find a longer version of the same diameter and thread. Ditto for the nut and the washers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger